Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Plaxico punishment too harsh?

Re: Plaxico punishment too harsh?

Quote Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    Plaxico was carrying the gun only days after his teammate, Steve Smith, was robbed at gunpoint. That should count for something.
    No, no it shouldn't. It really has nothing to do with the case at hand.

If Plaxico had worried about being robbed he could have applied for an emergency permit or hired NYC permitted body guards to help him out.

As far as Bloomburg goes, I don't think he wanted to "make an example" out of Plaxico because he was a football star or rich. Without getting too peanut gallery, Bloomburg is the head, or one of the driving forces, of a group called "Mayors Against Guns". So his comments were likely driven more by that than wanting to "get" Plaxico.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Want to carry? Then do it legally. Get the required training, get the gun permit and get authorized to carry. Don't do it that way and face three felonies that carry jail time. I like the law. I am not against guns, but I am against dummies who discharge their unlawful gun in public (accidental or not).
    This.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Let us not forget that Burress agreed to go to prison for 2 years. He was not convicted in a trial. He and his attorney must have thought it was going to be worse if it went to trial. The law is there. 3 years is the law for getting caught as he did. That law applies to all people in NYC. Can anyone present other recent NYC cases like this where the defendant was pursued much easier by the DAs in NYC? Obviously his attorney didn't have many. ...
    I'm curious why he was hit with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon and one count of reckless endangerment instead of one count of each. The more charges there are the more time could be served.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    ... As far as Bloomburg goes, I don't think he wanted to "make an example" out of Plaxico because he was a football star or rich. Without getting too peanut gallery, Bloomburg is the head, or one of the driving forces, of a group called "Mayors Against Guns". So his comments were likely driven more by that than wanting to "get" Plaxico.
    Doesn't matter to me what his comments were driven by. Let the cops do the talking and do their job. Still sounds like he wanted to make an example of him so he could be called a mayor that's tough on crime. Isn't that all about votes?
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

I agree according to the laws that are on the books in New York, Plaxico broke the law. I just think it's a bad law. It should of been a misdemeanor.
    He did not hurt anybody, he hurt himself. Could someone have gotten hurt...yes, but they did not.

The same thing goes for driving drunk. Does anybody think the 1st time you get busted for driving drunk you should go to prision for 2 years? Could you have killed someone? Yes, but you didn't. If you did hurt or kill someone, THEN it becomes a felony.

To me these crimes are the same. Carrying a gun somewhere you are not suppose to or driving drunk. If's it your 1st offense, and no one got hurt, it sould be a misdemeanor.

If you say that harsher gun laws are a deterrant, then you should believe that 1st time DUI should be a felony as well. That would be consistant.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Then again, Donte Stallworth killed someone and only got 30 days. Absolutely sickening.
    The guy walked out of nowhere into the path of his car. No, I'm not condoning drinking and driving. But after looking at the circumstances in that accident/tragedy, no driver, sober or drunk, would have not been able to avoid hitting that guy IMO.

And Stallworth not only immediately acknowledged responsibility and accountability for what happened; but also great remorse. He says it's something he wakes up to every day, and will for the rest of his life.

Also - the family of the victim did not want a long, drawn out trial, so a settlement was reached.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The guy walked out of nowhere into the path of his car. No, I'm not condoning drinking and driving. But after looking at the circumstances in that accident/tragedy, no driver, sober or drunk, would have not been able to avoid hitting that guy IMO.

And Stallworth not only immediately acknowledged responsibility and accountability for what happened; but also great remorse. He says it's something he wakes up to every day, and will for the rest of his life.

Also - the family of the victim did not want a long, drawn out trial, so a settlement was reached.
    I understand the circumstances, but the fact remains he WAS drunk and he WAS behind the wheel of a car. Both of those were conscious decisions. Do i have a problem with him being drunk? Nope. Do I have a problem with him getting behind the wheel that way? Absolutely.

If you believe he won't ever drive drunk again, more power to you. I've known to many DUI repeat offenders to believe that. I'd prefer to see drunk drivers never have the chance to do it again. I know it's not the law to permanently revoke his their license, but it should be. There is literally no more preventable crime, and no one has the right to recklessly endanger others for their own pleaseure.

If you believe he won't ever drive drunk again, more power to you. I've known to many DUI repeat offenders to believe that. I'd prefer to see drunk drivers never have the chance to do it again I know it's not the law to permanently revoke his their license, but it should be.
    His license was suspended for life.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    His license was suspended for life.
    Yes, his was. But many are not. If I'm being honest, I can't discuss this topic without getting upset. I think I need to remove myself from this discussion as I have too close of an attachment to stay rational and unemotional.

Yes, his was. But many are not. If I'm being honest, I can't discuss this topic without getting upset. I think I need to remove myself from this discussion as I have too close of an attachment to stay rational and unemotional.
    And I thoroughly respect that. I'm not posting to be divisive or even defend Stallworth's actions. I don't condone drinking and driving. 30 years ago, in my youth, I got a DUI. It woke me up to the reality of the situation, my own careless actions, and that I needed to be more responsible or else face the consequences.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...prison/4322945

Plaxico Burress earns early release from prison
    14 hours ago

Plaxico Burress went from catching what was ultimately the game winning TD catch in one of the biggest Super Bowl upsets of all time to being sentenced to prison for shooting himself in the leg in a Manhattan nightclub the following November.

10 months later, in September of 2009, Burress began his two year prison sentence which cost him the majority of the new $35 million contract he signed with the New York Giants shortly before the now infamous nightclub incident. The New York Daily News has reported that Burress will shave 3 months off his sentence as he will be "conditionally released" on June 6th.

Burress requested and was denied early release and work release various times, but he is now eligible for conditional release after serving 6/7 of his sentence. Despite missing two full NFL seasons, his agent has indicated that at least two teams are interested in signing him for the upcoming season. Obviously, it's his agent, so you never really know how much truth lies within agent released statements, but I would bet that multiple teams are interested in Burress.

Even though he will be 34 years old and has missed 2 full seasons, he is still 6'5", 235 pounds and he can still make a huge difference in the NFL. While he will undoubtedly only obtain a short term (probably 1 year), heavily incentive laden contract, he will still have multiple teams from which to choose.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

I would try to sign him on June 7th. He is "hungry" and has something to prove. 2 things you want in a professional. Michael Vick was in the exact same boat as Plaxico is now and that turned out really well for the Philly.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Turn Off Ads?