Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If only the Reds pitchers were this tough

If only the Reds pitchers were this tough

Baseball is supposed to teach youngsters the value of teamwork and fair play. But sometimes the game is just so damn frustrating that all you want to do is drill some kid in the back with a fastball. Mercer Island's Brandon Lawler certainly understood that after allowing the tying and go-ahead runs to score in the top of the sixth (and final) inning against Georgia—an inning that included three wild pitches and two passed balls. His coach came out to talk him down, but Lawler was not in the mood.

COACH: "Hey, we're going to come up again."
    PITCHER: "Is it okay if I just hit this batter?"
    COACH: "What? No. No. Are you kidding me? ... Let's get this guy. Come on. We're still in this game. One-run game. You wanna stay in?"
    PITCHER: "No."
    COACH: "You wanna come out right now?"
    PITCHER: "Yes, I do. Can I sit out?"
    COACH: "No, you're going to first base."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If only the Reds pitchers were this tough

I saw that, and that kid would have came out of the game if I were coaching him. That was embarrassing.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Great teaching opportunity right there -- help the kid learn how to handle adversity. Kids are not professional athletes and should not be treated as such.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I try not to equate being tough with being stupid. I do however wish that the Reds had a pitcher who was willing to plunk a guy (Velez) every so often when he shows us up. Cueto was one who I had hope for as he would pitch inside when he first came up, now not so much.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I saw that, and that kid would have came out of the game if I were coaching him. That was embarrassing.
    You would have given him what he wanted.

"Yes, I do. Can I sit out?" sure doesn't sound like toughness to me.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm rooting for the San Antonio team that won all 3 of its games in Group B. My son knows a couple of the kids on that team. Seems like a good group of kids and I've been impressed by the job their coach is doing during his trips to the mound.

If only he followed his home town Mariners more closely. On Monday Jose Lopez hit a home run so the next time he came up he got plunked right on the hip. Gave the glare and headed down to first. Up comes Griffey and takes the pitcher deep - that's the way to get them back.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Great teaching opportunity right there -- help the kid learn how to handle adversity. Kids are not professional athletes and should not be treated as such.
    Great teaching opportunity, no doubt. The teaching starts on day one. It is a team game and about losing yourself in the team. It's about not quitting. It's about playing the right way and having a good attitude. "Is it ok if I just hit this batter?" That sounds like a problem. The kids and coaches, at this level of play, have been together for a while. If he wanted to come out, and not be in the game, I'm sure there was someone on the bench who would have loved the opportunity. I would have given "that kid," the one who wanted to be there, the opportunity to play and contribute. If the kid didn't want to be out there, it isn't fair to the rest of the team to leave him in to pout and feel sorry for himself. The other kids have worked to hard to get to the Little League World Series. It is not about the individual.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    "Yes, I do. Can I sit out?" sure doesn't sound like toughness to me.

I was being sarcastic in the title. Many on here have called for Reds pitchers to be tough enough to bean someone on many occasions.

Great teaching opportunity, no doubt. The teaching starts on day one. It is a team game and about losing yourself in the team. It's about not quitting. It's about playing the right way and having a good attitude. "Is it ok if I just hit this batter?" That sounds like a problem. The kids and coaches, at this level of play, have been together for a while. If he wanted to come out, and not be in the game, I'm sure there was someone on the bench who would have loved the opportunity. I would have given "that kid," the one who wanted to be there, the opportunity to play and contribute. If the kid didn't want to be out there, it isn't fair to the rest of the team to leave him in to pout and feel sorry for himself. The other kids have worked to hard to get to the Little League World Series. It is not about the individual.
    Exactly.

It's not about the individual. Clearly, the pitcher wasn't handling the situation well -- three wild pitches. His performance was hurting the team, and he knew it. Better for him to get out of that situation and let someone else step up.

I play softball ever year, and every year I have about two games in which I can't do anything right, even basic stuff. Sometimes, no amount of "mental toughness" fixes the problem. You have to know when to fold 'em.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Maybe he was the coach's son

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Maybe coaches should properly teach the art of the brush back pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Maybe coaches should properly teach the art of the brush back pitch?
    Most eleven and twelve year olds are effectively wild enough to not make that a necessity.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I try not to equate being tough with being stupid. I do however wish that the Reds had a pitcher who was willing to plunk a guy (Velez) every so often when he shows us up. Cueto was one who I had hope for as he would pitch inside when he first came up, now not so much.
    Cueto tied for the league lead in HBP last year (with Volquez) and was first this year before going on the DL.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?