Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Cash for Refrigerators:' Like Clunkers, but for Appliances

'Cash for Refrigerators:' Like Clunkers, but for Appliances

'Cash for Refrigerators:' Like Clunkers, but for Appliances

Federal Program to Offer Rebates on Energy-Efficient Home Appliances
    By BRIAN HARTMAN and NED POTTER Aug. 24, 2009 —
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Jus...8401046&page=1

Cash for refrigerators? Yes, that's right, along with washing machines, dishwashers and other houshold appliances. Starting late this fall, you could get a rebate of $50 to $200 for buying a new, more energy-efficient appliance.

The Obama administration hopes a new incentive program will help the economy and the environment, persuading people it's time to replace that creaky old thing in your kitchen. The federal government has set aside $300 million for the program as part of the economic stimulus plan.

The details of the program are still being worked out, and they will vary from state to state. State governments have until Oct. 15 to send detailed plans to Washington.

There's no trade-in required, as in the government's "Cash for Clunkers" deal for cars and trucks. But rebate checks will be issued that can be used to cover everything from refrigerators and dishwashers to furnaces and air conditioners.

The Department of Energy hopes to encourage conservation by getting consumers to replace old, wasteful appliances with new, more efficient Energy Star-certified machines. But the appliance industry, reeling from the recession and a drop in sales, also hopes the rebates will provide a much-needed sales boost.

About 55 percent of new appliances sold last year met the requirements for an Energy Star label, the government says. The cash-for-refrigerators plan will be in addition to incentive programs already run by many states, although there's no guarantee the federal money will get people to buy new appliances instead of fixing their old ones when money is tight.

"This stimulus certainly is needed," said Jill Notini of the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers. "Our industry is down 15 percent for the year, and we were down in 2008 as well. So this is very needed."

The state plans will be reviewed by the Department of Energy starting in late October, and money could start flowing to consumers by November, although some states may need a few more months to implement the program.

Notini said at least 25 states already have rebate programs on the books.

"This will just add more money to the kitty" in those states, she said. Most of those rebates are in the $50 to $200 range, "and that's the ballpark that this will be in."

But for the rest of the states and territories, this will create an entirely new program.

Consumers should check with their state's energy department for details on when the rebates will be available. Links to information about stimulus projects by state can be found on the Energy Department's Recovery Act Web site.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: 'Cash for Refrigerators:' Like Clunkers, but for Appliances

This could be a good deal. Texas has a sales tax holiday for Energy Star appliances. I took advantage of it when I bought my current refrigerator.

How nice of them.

they ought to just give em away, that way everyone can start using them.

I'm getting new energy-efficient windows in my house this year and will be getting a $1500 tax credit on my 2009 taxes.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Someone on another board where I posted this article made a very good point: a lot of people will hook up the old refrigerator in the basement or garage as a beer cooler. This will eliminate any positive energy benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Someone on another board where I posted this article made a very good point: a lot of people will hook up the old refrigerator in the basement or garage as a beer cooler. This will eliminate any positive energy benefits.
    "it ain't easy being green" - kermit

Hey, if we're printing money anyway, might as well kick a few billion more out.

The beer cooler in my garage is probably 20 years old. I'm amazed it still works.

The purpose is to stimulate the economy, keep stores and manufacturers open, and take some baby steps towards energy efficiency. Plus a portion of the federal money will be recouped by states (except Texas) in the form of sales tax.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The purpose is to stimulate the economy, keep stores and manufacturers open, and take some baby steps towards energy efficiency. Plus a portion of the federal money will be recouped by states (except Texas) in the form of sales tax.
    John Maynard Keynes says

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm trying to stay apolitical here, but that is just very unsound economic policy. If it hasn't been already, we need to strike up a discussion on the Peanut Gallery so we can let it rip.

Edit: I like the Keynes reference, flyer85.

I'm afraid that my wife will keep seeing these stories about getting cash for clunkers and she will decide to trade me in.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Now I'm thinking of buying a new freezer and selling my old one on Craigslist. Thanks for the idea.

I got a $75 tax rebate last year for buying an energy star dish washer.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?