Turn Off Ads?

Thread: GCL Reds

Resident PED Expert

GCL Reds

For those in the know it really looks like the Reds hit a Jackpot of young promising pitching talent with some of the DSL guys they promoted, Cline from last year, Driessen from Austraila and a few of the young picks from the 09 Draft...

RHP's

19 yr old Cline is 4-1 with a 2.36 ERA in 9 starts and 53.1 innings

19 yr old Johnson is 2-2 with a 2.53 ERA in 8 starts with a .187 BA against

19 yr old Tuttle is 1-2 with a 1.84 ERA with 25 K's in 29 innings

18 yr old Adames is 0-1 with a 4.42 ERA less 1 bad start of 7 ER in 5 innings his ERA would be around 3

19 yr old Rodriguez is 2-3 with 2.84 ERA in 17 relief apperances and 24 K's in 25 innings

LHP's

18 yr old Driessen is 2-1 with a 3.54 ERA and only 3 walks in 28 innings

19 yr old Clarke is 1-0 with 0.87 as a reliver in 10.1 innings and a very impressive 4.5 GB/FB ratio

My question is... are most of these number legit? Are we looking at a swell of pitching talent in Dayton in a couple years?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: GCL Reds

There are certainly some strong arms in the GCL Reds dugout. I only have reports on Tuttle, Johnson and Cline.... but they are legit prospects, all with something good going for them.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    For those in the know it really looks like the Reds hit a Jackpot of young promising pitching talent with some of the DSL guys they promoted, Cline from last year, Driessen from Austraila and a few of the young picks from the 09 Draft...

RHP's

19 yr old Cline is 4-1 with a 2.36 ERA in 9 starts and 53.1 innings

19 yr old Johnson is 2-2 with a 2.53 ERA in 8 starts with a .187 BA against

19 yr old Tuttle is 1-2 with a 1.84 ERA with 25 K's in 29 innings

18 yr old Adames is 0-1 with a 4.42 ERA less 1 bad start of 7 ER in 5 innings his ERA would be around 3

19 yr old Rodriguez is 2-3 with 2.84 ERA in 17 relief apperances and 24 K's in 25 innings

LHP's

18 yr old Driessen is 2-1 with a 3.54 ERA and only 3 walks in 28 innings

19 yr old Clarke is 1-0 with 0.87 as a reliver in 10.1 innings and a very impressive 4.5 GB/FB ratio

My question is... are most of these number legit? Are we looking at a swell of pitching talent in Dayton in a couple years?
    I'm still feeling out the other guys, but I loved the reviews I heard of Johnson this year after the Reds drafted him. I think he's got a pretty good future ahead of him, personally.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm still feeling out the other guys, but I loved the reviews I heard of Johnson this year after the Reds drafted him. I think he's got a pretty good future ahead of him, personally.
    There's a lot to like about Johnson. For some reason, Driessen seems particularly intriguing, too.

Don't forget that Billings is using Daniel Corcino as a closer. He turned 19 Wednesday.

Isn't the entire league one in which kids struggle to hit? And isn't Sarasota particularly hard to hit in?

GCL pitching numbers, I think, are to be taken with a grain of salt.

what's redsof72's opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There are certainly some strong arms in the GCL Reds dugout. I only have reports on Tuttle, Johnson and Cline.... but they are legit prospects, all with something good going for them.
    What's the report on Cline?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    What's the report on Cline?
    Average fastball, inconsistent breaking ball but has a chance to be good if he gets more consistent with it. Inconsistent change up, but well on its way to being an above average pitch. Works down in the zone, control has really improved this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Average fastball, inconsistent breaking ball but has a chance to be good if he gets more consistent with it. Inconsistent change up, but well on its way to being an above average pitch. Works down in the zone, control has really improved this year.
    what about the other two guys?..cline was a low 90's guy when he was drafted, does he have a chance to add a few ticks to that?

Turn Off Ads?