Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USC to start first true freshman.

Re: USC to start first true freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think the game will be close, I won't make a call one way or the other. All I know is that Mike Adams will not be playing at LT, and that could be very ugly, we shall see. I reserve the right to make real predictions, until after I see both teams play next week.
    The way Adams has looked so far in his short career, its good he isn't startin. I'd hope Shugarts gets the nod, but its looking like Miller.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

I said it in 2004, when Chad Henne came marching into the Shoe with a heavily favored Michigan team, and I'll say it again this year: A true freshman is not coming into the Shoe and beating the Buckeyes in a game of this magnitude. Not happening. I guarantee it.

Until Ohio State proves they can beat USC, there's no reason to think a freshman QB will make the difference. It hasn't been close in, like, a decade.

Speed kills all over the field, not just at QB.

And Ohio State is not an overly fast program. Hasn't been since the mid-70's.

That's why OSU is perennially overrated and would be a mid-tier SEC or Big XII program, a la Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee. Tressel and the rest of the Big Ten haven't given up on smash-mouth football, but it just does not win against superior athletes. (For the most part.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Until Ohio State proves they can beat USC, there's no reason to think a freshman QB will make the difference. It hasn't been close in, like, a decade.

That's why OSU is perennially overrated and would be a mid-tier SEC or Big XII program, a la Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee. Tressel and the rest of the Big Ten haven't given up on smash-mouth football, but it just does not win against superior athletes. (For the most part.)
    Well I basically disagree with every thing you just said.

1. OSU has only played USC once in the last decade and your right that wasn't a close game, but it's also a pretty small sample size. QB is the most important position in any sport in terms of team success. USC will still be a good team because the other 10 guys on the field are very good, but saying that starting a freshmen will not make a difference in crazy.

2. Thank you for listening to someone on ESPN on how slow the Big 10 and Ohio State is. However the facts simply don't back this up. OSU has plenty of speed. They haven't lost a game due to lack of speed no matter what you might have heard talking heads on TV say.

3. This topic has been discussed but all things being equal OSU would still be an elite team in the Big 12 or the mighty mighty SEC. Now obviously there is no real way to prove this other than looking at a few random games here and there, but most years OSU vs. Florida, Bama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma is going to be a coin flip type game and they would dominate teams like Auburn, Ole Miss, Texas Tech, etc. most of the time.

Ok now turn on Mark May to get your rebuttle ready.

Losing streak against the SEC: 8 (Last win v. LSU in '88, losses since to 'Bama, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, S. Carolina (twice), Auburn, and Georgia.

That's over the past 20 years. Since 1988.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Losing streak against the SEC: 8 (Last win v. LSU in '88, losses since to 'Bama, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, S. Carolina (twice), Auburn, and Georgia.

That's over the past 20 years. Since 1988.
    I'm not sure exactly the point you are trying to make.
    Of OSU's bowl losses to the SEC I believe they were only the favored team twice (maybe 3 times).

Ohio State is 7-2-1 in the regular season against the SEC.

And most importantly none of this has anything to do with USC starting a freshmen QB and how that gives them a better chance to beat Ohio State in Columbus, which is still something that is going to be very difficult.

I'm saying OSU would be, at best, a middle-of-the-pack SEC team, akin to Georgia, Auburn, and Tennessee if they played in that league. They're not as good as their ranking year after year because they get cheap wins against weak competition in conference.

And, over the past 20 years, Ohio State hasn't beaten an SEC team at all. 0-8. And the SEC is largely a speed conference. Against Texas (1-2), USC (0-1), Miami (FL) (1-1) and FSU (0-1), tOSU also struggles. What do these teams have in common? Yep. Speed.

OSU doesn't have it like these other teams. Doesn't need it in the regular season (for the most part). Can't beat really good teams without it (for the most part) in BCS bowl games especially.

And, since this is the 20-year history of OSU against very good teams with great speed, I think history is going against the Buckeyes against USC. Against good teams with great speed (nonconference), Ohio State is pretty poor.

Hey, I hope they win. It's not like my favorite college team is good. At all. (That'd be Western Kentucky University.) They'll be lucky to score this week, let alone win. And I like the Buckeyes.

But their history is not good.

(BTW, Ohio State was the betting favorite in half the games against the SEC over the past 20 years, FWIW).
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

What do you think NFL scouts think about the speed at Ohio State?

Yes, that loss to Auburn on New Year's Day in 1990 is extremely relevant to this year's team.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Ohio State will be the favorite on gameday, but if I were laying money, I wouldn't touch this one with a 30 foot pole.

On one hand, it's a true frosh leading a team that has to cross multiple time zones to play a game (never something that favors the traveling team in college football). On the other hand, USC's defense is always criminally underrated and this year looks to be no different.

I predict a fairly low-scoring affair, but you've got me as to which way it will go. Doesn't matter much, though. Everyone's just playing for the right to lose to Florida in January, IMO.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Yes, that loss to Auburn on New Year's Day in 1990 is extremely relevant to this year's team.
    Actually there are no losses to the SEC that should say anything for the current OSU team.They are very young.I guess they're slow to.

Saying the SEC dominates the Buckeyes is like Tenn. saying they dominate the SEC.It's all history.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Actually there are no losses to the SEC that should say anything for the current OSU team.They are very young.I guess they're slow to.
    While I agree that the "Ohio State is Slow" storyline has become more legend than reality, there's at least kernel of truth to it.

The team might have players who are fast on the stopwatch, but they play a slow brand of football -- especially when compared to offenses like Florida. Where Ohio State will be content to hand the ball to Beanie Wells on an off-tackle or throw the bomb to Ted Ginn Jr., a team like Florida will scheme and run "gadget" type plays to create opportunities to get the ball to their playmakers in space. I don't follow either team religiously, this is just what I've noticed from watching about 3 or 4 games of each over the last couple seasons.

That's just my take on it.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Oh come on now, seriously? How did they do against Miami in 2003? Maybe the fastest college football team of all time, and OSU certainly had no problem keeping up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    While I agree that the "Ohio State is Slow" storyline has become more legend than reality, there's at least kernel of truth to it.

The team might have players who are fast on the stopwatch, but they play a slow brand of football -- especially when compared to offenses like Florida. Where Ohio State will be content to hand the ball to Beanie Wells on an off-tackle or throw the bomb to Ted Ginn Jr., a team like Florida will scheme and run "gadget" type plays to create opportunities to get the ball to their playmakers in space. I don't follow either team religiously, this is just what I've noticed from watching about 3 or 4 games of each over the last couple seasons.

That's just my take on it.
    While teams like USC and Florida ,that have beat up on the Bucks looked and possibly were faster it doesn't mean OSU was slow.If your saying that those team did a better job of utilizing the speed they had then I couldn't agree more.I'm just saying that Ohio State is not slow.If there was a top 25 based on speed alone the the Bucks would be top 10 every single year.I remember reading something before Fla. destroyed the Bucks and it basically listed the 40 times for every position for both teams and overwhelmingly OSU was faster.I admit that they often fail to take advantage of it though.

Turn Off Ads?