Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/28/09 Reds vs Dodgers

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: 8/28/09 Reds vs Dodgers

I like Gomes a lot and if he keeps producing like he has this year, then he deserves a chance to see if he can be part of this team next year. He's a good energy guy in the clubhouse too from what all I've heard about him.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    If Gomes can finish the year at .270 with 21/22hrs than I think you need to think about giving him every opportunity to win the LF job next season.
    I would hope.

His current line, up to date with about 218 PA's (well over 2/3rds of which are against RHP):

.292 16-40
    .369 / .585 / .954

I mean this guy just keeps going at it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Ouch. Stubbs watches three straight fastballs. That's exactly what Dusty was annoyed about.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I agree Gomes is underrated by some but I don't think anyone expected he'd be this productive.
    Nor should anyone have expected this much. That is true.

But he is 28 years old. He has lots of power and the ability to take pitches and draw walks. That kind of player has been known to take his game to another level at this age. I tend to to think we're seeing that with him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I would hope.

His current line, up to date with about 218 PA's (well over 2/3rds of which are against RHP):

.292 16-40
    .369 / .585 / .954

He's an intelligent power hitter. That time, he aimed just for the right field stands, the easiest home run area. His defense has improved a lot too. Making it tougher for the Reds to dump him or nontender him.

With this offense, it's hard to give up a talented hitter.

Nice play Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Ouch. Stubbs watches three straight fastballs. That's exactly what Dusty was annoyed about.
    He doesn't seem to have a great plan at the plate tonight.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I would hope.

.292 16-40
    .369 / .585 / .954

Not counting '03/'04 (only 29 abs combined) this is his year by year ops:
    '05 .906
    '06 .757
    '07 .782
    '08 .666
    '09 .923

Two really good seasons and not much inbetween.

Two out and one on in the seventh. Bailey with the lead is throwing strikes and keeping his pitch count reasonable.

Very impressive outing. Homer is a lock for the rotation next year. With Cueto, Volquez, and Leake eventually, maybe Wood, the Reds have some young starters to brag about.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Stubbs has got him some wheels, I'll give him that.

Stubbs with a nice play to end the inning.

Bailey fell behind 3-0 then threw two pitches in the zone and got out of the inning with a good defensive centerfielder.

Very encouraging game, this one.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    He doesn't seem to have a great plan at the plate tonight.
    He did get a hit and score a run though so he must be figuring a few things out. He's still learning on the job and he actually has a five game hitting streak going right now, believe it or not!

Good inning by Homer. I bring him out for the 8th.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

What do you people think Stubbs is looking for? I mean you get fooled once maybe on a fastball down the middle...after that? I mean there it is....coming at you, what is he looking for.

'05 .906
    '06 .757
    '07 .782
    '08 .666
    '09 .923

Well, 2008 was an aberration as he was injured all year (could barely lift his shoulder). 2006 and 2007 were certainly nothing to write home about, but they were still above-average seasons offensively. For this team, even a 780 OPS is admirable (ha ha).

Seriously though, his OPS+ in that time period is over 115. So his numbers are still solid even then. Consider he's hitting at a park, where clearly he feels comfortable in, and add in his age, and I think it's not unreasonable to think this is not too much a fluke.

Homer is pitching a shutout, he'll probably stay in the game, but I hope they don't push him too far.

'05 .906
    '06 .757
    '07 .782
    '08 .666
    '09 .923

Didn't he have some injuries in there though? Or am I confusing Gomes history with Nix's history which is entirely possible.

Turn Off Ads?