Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: 8/28/09 Reds vs Dodgers

Re: 8/28/09 Reds vs Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Really? Various people argue his save record to you? I would say Cordero is good because he has rarely left a game he has come into with a lead and left without that lead, esp. if he is not inheriting someone else's mess. It may not be pretty with his nibbling tendencies with two strikes that have his walk rate too high, but he is holding leads, all but a few times in many, many chances this year. Isn't that a reliever's job?
    That's not my stance at all. I'm arguing that he's not a lights out closer as all the announcers and several on this board claim.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    That's not my stance at all. I'm arguing that he's not a lights out closer as all the announcers and several on this board claim.
    I think that the other teams agree with you, otherwise Cordero would have been in higher demand by them. No one seemed to want him, in a baseball world where the Reds seem to promote the idea that they are constrained by money, while they suggest that they have a bevy of young talent.

George Grande and Chris Welsh discussed the HBP/K on Andre Ethier during the game yesterday (Sunday) and I still don't think they get it. They kept referring to whether the pitch hit the dirt and whether the ump or Corky knew that it hit Ethier.

Well first of all, it doesn't matter if it hit the dirt first or not. If it hits the batter it's a dead ball. Everyone involved had to know it hit Ethier from the way it bounced. If it did not hit the batter it would have gone back to the screen. Insttead it bounced at a crazy angle towards the Dodger dugout.

For the life of me I don't see how the umps missed this easy call and why the Reds didn't argue it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Could that be due to unrealistic expectations that defines a "lights out closer" as one who comes in and consistently gets 1-2-3 clean innings, which seldom happens, even with "lights out closers?" Just watching highlights today, and there is Joe Nathan, one who most consider a "lights out closer" with a bases loaded no out jam that he worked his way out of just yesterday.

Now, I am admittedly cherry picking, but it is an example of the same thing we see from time to time with our closer. We see him from day to day, and just see other closers occasionally or see their stats and assume that they are regularly pitching clean innings. I would hypothesize that 1-2-3 dominating 9th innings happen less often than we think they do. Or we see a Ryan Franklin having a freakish year and make that the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    George Grande and Chris Welsh discussed the HBP/K on Andre Ethier during the game yesterday (Sunday) and I still don't think they get it. They kept referring to whether the pitch hit the dirt and whether the ump or Corky knew that it hit Ethier.

Well first of all, it doesn't matter if it hit the dirt first or not. If it hits the batter it's a dead ball. Everyone involved had to know it hit Ethier from the way it bounced. If it did not hit the batter it would have gone back to the screen. Insttead it bounced at a crazy angle towards the Dodger dugout.

For the life of me I don't see how the umps missed this easy call and why the Reds didn't argue it.
    From what I understand the ump ruled the pitch never hit the batter but bounced of the catchers foot instead.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Could that be due to unrealistic expectations that defines a "lights out closer" as one who comes in and consistently gets 1-2-3 clean innings, which seldom happens, even with "lights out closers?" Just watching highlights today, and there is Joe Nathan, one who most consider a "lights out closer" with a bases loaded no out jam that he worked his way out of just yesterday.

Now, I am admittedly cherry picking, but it is an example of the same thing we see from time to time with our closer. We see him from day to day, and just see other closers occasionally or see their stats and assume that they are regularly pitching clean innings. I would hypothesize that 1-2-3 dominating 9th innings happen less often than we think they do. Or we see a Ryan Franklin having a freakish year and make that the standard.
    I know, I don't expect a 1-2-3 inning from a closer every time out. I don't think Team Boone does either.

All we are sayin' is it would be nice to see Cordero do it every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    From what I understand the ump ruled the pitch never hit the batter but bounced of the catchers foot instead.
    If that's the case then why didn't Corky argue?

Turn Off Ads?