Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Votto/Alonso "Who's On First?" situation isn't going away by itself.

The Votto/Alonso "Who's On First?" situation isn't going away by itself.

If not for Alonso's injury, he'd be getting a call-up in a couple of days. He's not your normal draft pick. 1 full year and done in the minors, and that's just for his defense, is all he needs.

He can't play Left Field.

Votto can play Left Field.

Now it's more complicated because of the trade for Balentien.

When is Votto going to start playing Left Field? He's no Adam Dunn out there. He's as good as the average Left Fielder, keeping in mind that the average Left Fielder isn't very good in the Majors.

There's no reason to believe that Alonso can't win the First Base job in Spring Training next season. He's that good. Of course, Dusty's prejudices will keep him from winning it, just as Votto couldn't win it over Hatteburg during Spring Training.

Gomes and Nix are bye-bye, as they should be.

Taveras just needs to be released and eat the stupid contract.

With an already crowded outfield in Heisey/Stubbs/Bruce/Balentien/Dickerson/Votto/ it's time to make a decision about the First Base situation.

Dorn, Henry and Frazier are right around the corner themselves.

I have to assume there's a depth chart on the wall of the G.M.'s Office that has the 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 project Outfields and First Base on it. There's only two possible scenarios. Alonso at First Base, or Alonso out of the Organization, and if so, then why in the heck didn't they draft Gordon Beckham. Jockety's losing my faith by the minute.

1B Votto
    LF Dickerson
    CF Taveras
    RF Bruce
    UO Balentien
    5OF Gomes

1B Alonso
    LF Votto
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    UO Dickerson
    5OF Heisey/Stubbs/Balentien
    (Stubbs or Heisey spends the first half of the season at AAA and eventually gets a mid-season call-up forcing Balentien off of the roster or sending Stubbs or Heisey back down if they're struggling too badly or replacing an injured Votto/Dickerson/Bruce)

or,
    1B Votto
    LF Dickerson
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    UO Balentien
    5OF Heisey

1B Alonso
    LF Votto
    CF Heisey
    RF Bruce
    UO Stubbs
    5OF Balentien/Dickerson/Dorn/Frazier (If Dorn or Frazier are outstanding in Spring Training and force Dickerson/Balentien to be traded. Most likely, Dorn and Frazier are both sent back down in order to be recalled because of injuries to any of the top-5 outfielders)

or,

1B Votto
    LF Heisey
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    UO Balentien/Dickerson
    5OF Balentien/Dickerson/Dorn/Frazier (If Dorn or Frazier are outstanding in Spring Training and force Dickerson/Balentien to be traded. Most likely, Dorn and Frazier are both sent back down in order to be recalled because of injuries to any of the top-5 outfielders)

1B Alonso
    LF Votto
    CF Heisey
    RF Bruce
    UO Stubbs
    5OF Frazier

or,

1B Votto
    LF Heisey
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    UO Frazier
    5OF Balentien/Dorn/Henry

Walt, a decision has to be made. Dusty is highly likely to screw all of this up just as he has the past two years with his insistance on having some horrible veteran, that belongs in AAA taking up at-bats and stunting the growth of the better talent, all because he has Castellini's ear.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Votto/Alonso "Who's On First?" situation isn't going away by itself.

IF, Alonso is all we are to believe, I would suspect either he or Votto will be part of a blockbuster trade for a top of the line CFor RF. (Don't think this town is big enough for them both).

I kind of like Gomes, but I think you're right and they about have to move Votto to 3B. Before the Rolen deal I thought they might try either him or Alonso there (when Hernandez was healthy I was wanting to try Hannigan at 3B), but that's out of the picture now.

Hopefully the Reds will be able to come to a decision on their guys in the OF and make deals with the other depth to fill in other holes. The last time I can remember they did that right was when they they had two "studs" at SS: Barry Larkin and Kurt Stilwell. IIRC they got a decent deal for Sillwell (Royals, maybe??) and cemented Larkin and the cornerstone of the Reds.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    IF, Alonso is all we are to believe, I would suspect either he or Votto will be part of a blockbuster trade for a top of the line CFor RF. (Don't think this town is big enough for them both).
    I agree, I can't see the Reds holding onto both players. I think they will hold back Yonder next year and see if he completely dominates AAA, then possibly move Votto to a contender in need. Although, Boston could be looking for a 1B this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    I agree, I can't see the Reds holding onto both players. I think they will hold back Yonder next year and see if he completely dominates AAA, then possibly move Votto to a contender in need. Although, Boston could be looking for a 1B this offseason.
    There's going to be a desperate need on this team for starting pitching. Votto or Alonso could garner a major arm.

I was with you until this line

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Gomes and Nix are bye-bye, as they should be.
    First of all, Votto is not moving anywhere.

Second, how can you say Gomes should be gone? I usually agree with almost everything you say, but considering what he has done in 1/2 a season:
    4th on the team in RBIs
    2nd in batting average (not including Corky Miller)
    4th in HRs

Fangraphs has his money value in the open marked at 3.5 mil, and he is making a fraction of that. I hope we see him back next year as at least a backup if not the every day LFer.

I really am not a fan of the idea of possible trading Votto. I think he's the kind of guy you can build an offense around, as his numbers in most game situations/vs. rightys/lefties are pretty consistent.

This whole thing DOES get complicated if the Reds don't eat Tavares' contract for next year. I'd really like to see Stubbs next year.

With the talent level that is approaching the majors (at least by this years minor league numbers), I think that the front office has to look at moving Votto in the mid-season of 2010. That seems to be the right time frame to figure out if Alonso and Heisey can continue hitting at the AAA level. Starting either Alonso or Heisey in the majors next year would just slow their development becuase of lack of playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    I really am not a fan of the idea of possible trading Votto. I think he's the kind of guy you can build an offense around, as his numbers in most game situations/vs. rightys/lefties are pretty consistent.

This whole thing DOES get complicated if the Reds don't eat Tavares' contract for next year. I'd really like to see Stubbs next year.
    If we expect the Reds to win some times you will have to trade guys like Votto and get the big returns like the Marlins have done. Im not saying trade Votto but if the Reds went the way of the Marlins a little more we might actually have a chance to compete more often.

Nothing can stop your quote in my sig line from being proven false.

Nice try though.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by corwinator3407 View Post
    I was with you until this line

First of all, Votto is not moving anywhere.

Second, how can you say Gomes should be gone? I usually agree with almost everything you say, but considering what he has done in 1/2 a season:
    4th on the team in RBIs
    2nd in batting average (not including Corky Miller)
    4th in HRs

Fangraphs has his money value in the open marked at 3.5 mil, and he is making a fraction of that. I hope we see him back next year as at least a backup if not the every day LFer.
    I say it because I feel and agree, that there needs to be an emphasis on Defense on this team in order to make the pitching better. Gomes makes it worse, while at the same time stunting the growth of the younger players. Ideally, Bruce plays 162 games, Stubbs/Heisey/Dickerson/Balentien get all of the rest of the at-bats in the Outfield.

But, you're probably right as Dusty demands to have veterans on his club, so Gomes will take at-bats away from Stubbs/Heisey/Dickerson/Balentien/Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Nothing can stop your quote in my sig line from being proven false.

Nice try though.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    That quote would be the best thing for this ballclub.

This is the lineup I want to see July 9, 2010:

CF Stubbs
    C Hanigan
    LF Votto
    1B Alonso
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    SS TBD-Free Agent

Bench
    UO Dickerson
    UO Balentien/Heisey
    UI Sutton
    UI Janish
    C Hernandez

I think the Hanigan experiment is about over, we can stop with the batting him second nonsense.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Someone is finally getting the Fall City Beer treatment from me.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I think the Hanigan experiment is about over, we can stop with the batting him second nonsense.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Whoever we get in Free Agency for Shortstop is batting second, so it's irrelevant.

Turn Off Ads?