Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much influence do you think BCast has on personnel decisions?

Haunted by walks

Re: How much influence do you think BCast has on personnel decisions?

I think most owners are tempted to have a say, after all they probably bought the team to make changes in how it was run, but they know it's best to leave the baseball decisions to the baseball people. The trouble comes when the baseball people have spent all the money and come back to the owner, saying we could make this deal or get this player if we could find the money. Now the owner gets involved in which deals get made, and it gets ugly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bob has some say in moves.... too much from what I have heard. For the most part it sounds like he has had too much say in who doesn't get moved rather than who comes in.
    This is exactly what I was envisioning actually...

and it's not a good thing...at all.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bob has some say in moves.... too much from what I have heard. For the most part it sounds like he has had too much say in who doesn't get moved rather than who comes in.
    Bingo. Bob is emotionally attached and is a HUGE fan. He needs to stay OUT of the mix. Just sign the checks and enjoy his suite.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The test is to determine who had the idea and approval for Willy T. If Cast was pushing for that, he needs to stick to his produce. If that was Walt's doing, then Cast needs to get real involved.

One GM #1 brought in Patterson relative to his speed and CF abilities because there was one that wanted that. GM #2 got rid of Patterson and brought in a CF with speed, because there was one that wanted that.
    Clearly to me a manager and his coaches wanted that type of player in both cases with two different general managers, and the same owner.

It is fine for the GM to support what his staff wants in players, but GM #1 and GM #2 did not do a good job in their research and obtaining of the two. Get a player with speed that can field his position well in CF and get on base, then it looks like a very good idea. (no, I am not bashing Baker) I don’t think the manager is wrong for wanting a fast CF who can get to the ball, or having a fast leadoff guy that can get on base and make things happen, but, the GM needs to find those that can get on base at a higher percentage of time. We all know that.

On the money side. If it effects the financials, if it effects the budget, then Castellini or his general will be involved in those decisions. You cannot divorce the two when it comes to business.

Castellini is responsible for his words, and is responsible for selling failure to the patrons, and should not be rewarded for failure.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 08-29-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    One GM #1 brought in Patterson relative to his speed and CF abilities because there was one that wanted that. GM #2 got rid of Patterson and brought in a CF with speed, because there was one that wanted that.
    Clearly to me a manager and his coaches wanted that type of player in both cases with two different general managers, and the same owner.

It is fine for the GM to support what his staff wants in players, but GM #1 and GM #2 did not do a good job in their research and obtaining of the two. Get a player with speed that can field his position well in CF and get on base, then it looks like a very good idea. (no, I am not bashing Baker) I don’t think the manager is wrong for wanting a fast CF who can get to the ball, or having a fast leadoff guy that can get on base and make things happen, but, the GM needs to find those that can get on base at a higher percentage of time. We all know that.

On the money side. If it effects the financials, if it effects the budget, then Castellini or his general will be involved in those decisions. You cannot divorce the two when it comes to business.

Castellini is responsible for his words, and is responsible for selling failure to the patrons, and should not be rewarded for failure.

I'm kind of joking. I'd actually bet Dusty was the driving force behind both Patterson and Taveras, but Walt's the GM, so he takes the heat for Willy IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm kind of joking. I'd actually bet Dusty was the driving force behind both Patterson and Taveras, but Walt's the GM, so he takes the heat for Willy IMO.
    I think that you're right. I think that the GM and his talented staff are responsible for finding the players that fit the bill or plan of the manager. If the GM goes out and gets speed that can't find their way to first base with a video, gps, and road map, that is on the GM.

They call me "chef"

If Willy had a GPS he would prob drive into the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    If Willy had a GPS he would prob drive into the lake.
    He'd "hit" the wrong button.

Turn Off Ads?