Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soto v. Vitters

Re: Soto v. Vitters

Quote Originally Posted by BakoTheTako View Post
    My question about Soto is how do you go from being a possible shortstop to only being able to play first base? Does he not have the ability to play 2nd or 3rd?
    He's conspicuously slow.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    He's conspicuously slow.
    Not just that, he has gotten quite a bit bigger too, which of course has led to him also slowing down. The fact that he is still listed at 180 is pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    While we're at it:

Soto v. Alonso?

Obviously, Alonso has the edge in the plate-discipline category that a lot of people favor. Does Soto offset that with an advantage in power?

To me, they're very close.
    Soto has more power, I don't think its a question. Alonso has a lot better clue at the plate and I don't think its a question there either. To me, having solid power and outstanding plate discipline is a lot more valuable than having outstanding power and very questionable plate discipline. That is why Alonso is a Reds Top 5 prospect and Soto is outside of my Top 10, sitting at #11. With that said, if Soto starts showing more patience and drawing a few more walks or starts cutting down his strikeout rate so his K/BB looks better, then he certainly moves up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not just that, he has gotten quite a bit bigger too, which of course has led to him also slowing down. The fact that he is still listed at 180 is pretty funny.
    What's he looking like these days? I only remember that gangly dude from the homerun derby video. Has he put on good weight or has he been feasting on Mesoraco's left over milkshakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    What's he looking like these days? I only remember that gangly dude from the homerun derby video. Has he put on good weight or has he been feasting on Mesoraco's left over milkshakes?
    He isn't fat at all, but he isn't 180 pounds either.

Vitters is getting an appraisal through Mudcats radio tonight. Last night and tonight Vitters is having a hard time with his throwing accuracy to first base. Apparently this is a season long problem for him. This was a topic last night as well. His hands are reported to be below average and his arm is solid. There is nothing wrong with his bat.
    Last edited by muddie; 07-21-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Vitters is getting an appraisal through Mudcats radio tonight. Last night and tonight Vitters is having a hard time with his throwing accuracy to first base Apparently this is a season long problem for him. This was a topic last night as well. His hands are reported to be below average and his arm is solid. There is nothing wrong with his bat.
    Nothing quite wrong with his bat, but he simply doesn't walk. At all. He has 12 walks in over 319 PA this season. Scouts still like the bat, but his hit and power tools aren't going to get to play as well as they grade with such plate discipline.

It's no secret that the BA and similar observers are simply going to give a LOT of rope and consideration to prospects that were drafted in the top 5 of their class, especially if they have one exceptional strength. It's an obvious and unfortunate bias.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BakoTheTako View Post
    My question about Soto is how do you go from being a possible shortstop to only being able to play first base? Does he not have the ability to play 2nd or 3rd?
    I thought I heard he was incredibly slow footed. If true, I'm having a hard time understanding why he was at short to begin with.

~edit~ oops, I hadn't gone to page 2 yet. :O)

Turn Off Ads?