Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soto v. Vitters

Soto v. Vitters

I think it was OBM who, about a year ago, drew a comparison between our own Neftali Soto and vaunted Cubs top prospect Josh Vitters. Same age, same position, same line-drive RH bat, far different prospect ranking nationally.

So, how do things stand now? They're 20, and Soto has been in the FSL all year, Vitters just for his last 170 ABs (he had been in the Midwest League, doing what Soto did there last year, more or less).

Soto
    BA/OBP/SLG/OPS

.246/.283/.364/.647 (4-1 K/BB)

Vitters

.230/.253/.345/.598 (5-1 K/BB)

It's clear that these two players are still producing at similar levels., but my guess is that the spin on their 2009 campaigns will be very different.

The FSL is a tough hitters league so maybe there's no real cause for concern re: Soto. I figure the Reds will have their high A team in the Carolina League next year, so it probably makes sense to have Soto repeat the level and have more success. Meanwhile, Vitters is being pushed onto an Arizona Fall League roster this fall.... Maybe they're buying into all the acclaim, deserved or not, that's come to Vitters ever since he was the #3 overall pick.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Soto v. Vitters

For the Sarasota Reds, amongst players with 250+ PA, Nefi Soto leads in batting average, hits, homeruns, and RBIs.

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    For the Sarasota Reds, amongst players with 250+ PA, Nefi Soto leads in batting average, hits, homeruns, and RBIs.
    I hope that isn't just an indictment on how bad our Sarasota team really is.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    I hope that isn't just an indictment on how bad our Sarasota team really is.
    It is. Dave Sappelt is the only one with an OPS over .700.

Wow! In a league that doesn't hit, Sarasota is playing with cracked bats.
    Last in:
    Avg
    OBP
    OPS
    SLG
    BB
    SB

At the start of the season, I thought this team would rake.

They raked...with the handle...:

So we can say he has no protection since Yonder was moved up correct? Would love to see the split #'s with Yonder in the lineup..

Every year.....every year our players go thru the rigors of playing in the FSL and every year they don't fare very well there. I still like Soto (and Bucholz) as well as when the season started and anyone who has dropped him for his play this year, well I just don't get it. Granted he's done poorer than I expected he would going there to play but it means little too me. Failure is part of development so it was bound to happen to some extent. His slg was gonna drop due to the environment and his BA was eventually gonna drop due to his approach. He needs to adjust his approach and he won't be playing in the FSL again next year so I think he'll bounce back nicely but gradually then. I still think he's a top Reds prospect and a better one than Vitters.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

How has Soto's defense been at 3B this year?

Thanks.

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    How has Soto's defense been at 3B this year?

Thanks.

Bum
    He still has some work to do there as well but better than Francisco's.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bumping this as Soto surges and because it's hard for me to pass up a chance to tweak BA's occcasional pro-Cubs silliness....

Vitters maintained his prospect darling status with BA (and Cubs fan Jim Callis) this offseason, as Callis proclaimed him a better prospect than the crosstown White Sox prospect Dayan Viciedo, currently raking in AAA. BA had Vitters at #5 in the Cubs system, a system they ranked high overall.

Meanwhile, Soto maintained his no-name status.

Now, they're both in the Southern League (Soto is 6 months older). Here's how it's going:

Vitters: .276/.311/.428/.739 (about 330PAs)

Soto: .276/.339/.598/.937 (about 250 PAs)

Of course, Vitters could surge and Soto could fade, still. But I know which guy I'd take going forward.

HR/AB of 12.72. That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It is. Dave Sappelt is the only one with an OPS over .700.
    I wonder if that guy will ever develop into a prospect?

While we're at it:

Soto v. Alonso?

Obviously, Alonso has the edge in the plate-discipline category that a lot of people favor. Does Soto offset that with an advantage in power?

To me, they're very close.

My question about Soto is how do you go from being a possible shortstop to only being able to play first base? Does he not have the ability to play 2nd or 3rd?

Turn Off Ads?