Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring the Farm System

Resident PED Expert

Restoring the Farm System

We saw alot of forced promotions this year in our Farm system... Some worked out (Klinker, Del Rosario) some didn't (too many to name)...

Alas next year is a new season and alot of the guys on the DL will be back and alot of the fill ins and older fodder will be gone. There will be some interesting decisions to be made and alot of competition for jobs up for grabs...

I had alot of time on my hands and decided to see who fit where and why...

Assuming the Reds make no moves in the offseason which is unlikely. as well as taking in account who is out of options here is what I came up with...

MLB

SP Harang
    SP Arroyo
    SP Cueto
    SP Bailey
    SP Owings

RP Lincoln
    RP Burton
    RP Herrera
    RP Fisher
    RP Rhodes
    SU Massett
    CL Cordero

With Volquez on the DL, the top 4 are set I suspect Owings will be given every shot to win back his spot in the rotation... Bullpen should be pretty much set from the get go... If any contract could be moved in the offseason for Payflex it should be Cordero's...

1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    3B Rolen
    SS Janish
    LF Gomes
    CF Taveras
    RF Bruce
    C Hernandez

UT Sutton
    IF Rosales
    OF Dickerson
    OF Balentien
    C Hanigan

1st thru 3rd is a lock...

Janish will make the team and with no cheap decent FA options at SS a trade maybe the only way they upgrade...

OF will be a clusterfudge of mish mash... Bruce is a lock, Taveras will continue to waste AB's away. Dusty always said no one will lose their job due to injury... His boy Taveras is no exception. Gomes will be resigned and should be. Dickerson will be a platoon partner for him and Taveras. Balentien is out of options and seems to be a nice OF and is improving at the plate here in Cincy. Hernandez should be bought out and resigned and a much more reasonible rate. Hanigan is a solid #2. Rosales and Sutton make it more on their versatilty than thier bat.

AAA

SP Lehr
    SP Maloney
    SP LeCure
    SP Wood
    SP Klinker

RP Thompson
    RP Ramirez
    RP Viola
    RP Tabor
    RP Valiquette
    SU Ondrusek
    CL Del Rosario

Lehr should be brought back for his experiance and depth. Maloney, LeCure probaly aren't anything more than add ons on any deal right now so better to keep them for depth. Wood and Klinker are both quality SP with a real possible future in Cincinnati. Thompson's days as a starter should be over same for Ramirez. Viola, Tabor, Valiquette are your left handers, Ondrusek and Del Rosario are your backend guys.

1B Barker
    2B Frazier
    3B Francisco
    SS Valakia
    LF Dorn
    CF Stubbs
    RF Heisey
    C Tatum

IF Richar
    UT Griffin
    IF Bankston
    UT Castillo
    C Denove

Barker will be keeping 1B warm for Alonso till about June/July. Frazier gets 2B by default, the Francisco experiment at 3B continues... Valakia goes back to SS, Dorn, Heisey and Stubbs man the OF. Tatum and Denove hold down the Catchers spot...

Richar and Griffin take over Bolivar old job, Castillo takes over the super sub role. Bankston provides depth at 1B/3B and OF.

AA

SP Smith
    SP Buck
    SP Avery
    SP Carroll
    SP Webb

RP Serrano
    RP Smit
    RP Krebs
    RP Thurman
    RP Freeman
    SU Watson
    CL Lutz

Assuming Smith, Buck, Carroll and Avery are healthy and chances are they all won't be there is a ton of questions in the rotation... Lots of chances for Leake, Fairel, Horst and Partch to move up. I assume at his advances age Serrano will be pushed up the ladder, Thurman should have been in AA a month ago, Krebs is there as is Watson who still has no control... Smit is the swingman, Freeman and Lutz, if healthy, round it out.

1B Alonso
    2B Kahaulelio
    3B Soto
    SS Cozart
    LF Henry
    CF Sapplett
    RF Cumberland
    C Mesorasco

UT Parker
    IF Eymann
    IF Castro
    OF Kainer
    C Kroski

Alonso mas first until mid summer then Parker takes over by default. Soto gets promoted for lack of depth at 3B and Mesorasco continues his march up the ladder... Sapplett has palyed well enough for a promotion and Henry and Cumberland toil away in AA.

A+

SP Leake
    SP Fairel
    SP Partch
    SP Horst
    SP Janke

RP Montano
    RP Otterness
    RP Hotchkiss
    RP Beal
    RP Gaffney
    SU Gonzalez
    CL Joseph

If Alonso started in A+ so will Leake... Fairel, Partch, Horst and possibly Janke will round out the rotation. Montano and Hotchkiss may provide competion for the 5th spot, the losers will be the swingmen. Joseph won't be at A+ long and wouldn't be suprised to see him in AAA by seasons end.

1B Sosa
    2B Puckett
    3B Mendez
    SS Buchholtz
    LF Wiley
    CF Reed
    RF Fellhauser
    C Coddington

1B Day
    IF Negron
    IF Gualdron
    OF Phipps
    C Bour

Alot of the Dayton guys have had good seasons and will/should be promoted... I would expect to see Fellhauser and Wiley in AA midway thru the season if not AAA by seasons end. I still like Reed as a prospect. He still just 21, OPS over .800 vs LH but cannot hit RH at all. Although he showed improved plate dicipline, less K's more BB's in more AB's.

A

SP Sulbaran
    SP Boxberger
    SP Ravin
    SP Snowden
    SP Carson

RP Villreal
    RP Walker
    RP Bohana
    RP Ware
    RP Santana
    SU Pearl
    CL Infante

Sulbaran needs to progress and mature next year and in a big way. Boxberger should overmatch to MWL and move up when Leake does. Ravin was having a good season when injured. Snowden has looked good and should improve and either Walker or Carson will be the 5th starter. Santana, Pearl and Infante all should make a great backend of the bullpen.

1B Richberg
    2B Gregorius
    3B Kuo
    SS Rojas
    LF Oliveras
    CF Means
    RF Brown
    C Fleury

1B/P Konstanty
    IF Feiner
    IF Carlson
    OF Contreas
    C Weems

Rojas is back for a second tour at SS and at 21 probably not a bad thing... Means needs to develop quickly and Brown will platoon with Contreas and needs to develop power if he wants to stick. Gregorious will play at 2B until Rojas moves up and Kuo 3B until Gregorious moves off 2B. Neither Fluery or Weems can hit LH pitching yet and that might be a problem.

I figured pitchers like Lotzkar, Cline, Johnson, Tuttle, Clarke, Driessen, Chiu, Molina, Rodriguez, Corcino and Panerati will be held back for midseason ball at Billings and guys like Kummet, Crabbe, Braun would be the replacements.

In my rebuild of the system gone from it would be...

C Feiner
    OF Ford
    RP Baez
    RP Atencio
    SP Cochran
    SP Jurick
    IF Bolivar
    RP Kennard
    RP Ward
    SP Gil
    RP Kelly
    RP Geronimo
    SP Vazquez
    C Long
    RP Davis
    RP Pawelek
    OF Jones
    1B Louwsma
    UT Tordi
    C Wideman
    C McMurray
    3B Pfister

So thats it. Something interesting to watch over the offseason and discuss at nausium. Thanks for the read...
    Last edited by nemesis; 09-01-2009 at 09:09 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Restoring the Farm System

I read until you started bashing someone for promotion without merit. Unless you are watching them everyday, you can't make that call because you aren't seeing whats going on.

Resident PED Expert

I wasn't bashing with malice. I know it is a real sensitive subject with you especially when comes to Mesorasco or Stubbs. Nothing personal. For referance I am a season ticket holder for the Dragons for 5 years running... Right behind home plate 1st base side. So I have seen both of them play a few times. Ill edit the post as not to inflame the masses...

I am a Mez fan, and I think he should stay in High A, but because of the emergence of Kevin Coddington, I think he gets pushed. Which is in no way a bad thing, but I think without Coddington pushing him, he would have repeated.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Nice job, nemesis. Lots to mull over. The one thing that leapt out at me is that I would be very surprised if Miguel Rojas repeats Dayton. I think Gregorius is the SS there next year.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Nice job, nemesis. Lots to mull over. The one thing that leapt out at me is that I would be very surprised if Miguel Rojas repeats Dayton. I think Gregorius is the SS there next year.
    Hmm, that was the very thing that jumped out at me, too. Also, at this point I don't see Owings having an edge on Lehr for the 5 spot. And it looks like Stubbs is getting a chance to show that he ought to be in CF, and taking pretty good advantage of it.

But that's a very low number of quibbles for such an extensive post. Thanks for organizing it.

interesting read, I won't be the least bit surprised to see Yorman start out w/ the Dragons next year. Possibly even Duran and/or Hamilton depending on what they show in spring training/winter ball (Don't know if Hamilton would play there or not).

Right, wrong or indifferent, my guess is they want to see them get a full season of competition vs half a season + extended spring training/instructional league. I doubt either Duran or Hamilton are ready, but it seems that Yorman could be up for the challenge, but perhaps they'd like to see Duran move along with him if possible, kind of a natural in-house competition for who can out-do the other. I expect to see Means up in A+ next year.

Interesting list but I wouldn't count out Bill Bray. I know a lot are down on him but I think he's much more likely to fill out the pen than Lincoln. Even though Lincoln is still owed money.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Interesting list but I wouldn't count out Bill Bray. I know a lot are down on him but I think he's much more likely to fill out the pen than Lincoln. Even though Lincoln is still owed money.
    For the Reds to keep Bray, they would need to offer him arbitration. I really don't think they're going to pay that much money to an unproven reliever just to keep him on the DL half the year.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    For the Reds to keep Bray, they would need to offer him arbitration. I really don't think they're going to pay that much money to an unproven reliever just to keep him on the DL half the year.
    We need to remember on some of these players that are arbitration eligible that we can reach an agreement on a new contract thereby avoiding arbitration. A player like Bray may opt for that rather than become a free agent.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I don't feel he is unproven, I feel he proved what it is he is capable of in '08 but yeah what RM said.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Why wouldn't Alonso be the 1B at Louisville to start next season? Seems like his next move, especially with his move up to AAA for the playoffs (and his winter league schedule).

Bum

I agree Bumstead Alonso should start at Triple A not Double A since he is at triple A to finish season and in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    We need to remember on some of these players that are arbitration eligible that we can reach an agreement on a new contract thereby avoiding arbitration. A player like Bray may opt for that rather than become a free agent.
    With the Reds' bullpen depth, it'd probably be in Bray's best interest to move on to a different organization. I really hope the Reds reach a minor league deal with him, though.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Why wouldn't Alonso be the 1B at Louisville to start next season? Seems like his next move, especially with his move up to AAA for the playoffs (and his winter league schedule).

Bum
    He still hasn't hit LH pitching at all... and has only had 88 ab's at AA. I would bet alot of it has to do with how he plays in the AFL...

For referance he is OPSing .500 vs LH's in AA with no XBH vs .812 vs RH's and I know it wasn't much better in A+ or the HWL.

I think he will be more of a PH or a DH in AAA playoffs... If he was going to start why not bring him up today to break him in?

Turn Off Ads?