Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: the Rolen effect...part deux

the Rolen effect...part deux

alright so I'm too lazy AND inept but anyone know what Phillips numbers are hitting in front of Rolen?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: the Rolen effect...part deux

I don't know what they are including the few games Rolen played before he got beaned, but here are Phillips numbers since Rolen came off the DL:

.349 .364 .488 .852
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

its not just Rolen.

Rolen > EE
    Stubbs > Taveras
    Janish > Gonzo

The Reds have improved 3 spots in the lineup recently. Even with our #1 catcher going down the addition of Rolen PLUS the 'addition by subtraction' in CF & SS is why the Reds are playing so much better.

In the last ten games, where the Reds are 8-2, Brandon has batted .372 with 3 doulbes, a HR (nearly two), and 6 RBI's. Not bad. Rolen came back 10 games ago, but I don't have statistics his first couple of games before he got hurt.

Rolen is batting .341 over the same time period with a double and 4 RBI's. Like Will siad, Rolen, Stubbs, and Janish are upgrades over the two departed and one DL'd player, but it appears to have a positive effect on Phillips, too. Just goes to show you what good hitters can do to a lineup. Insert them in the right places and good things happen. Look at Barker in tonight's game. Rolen is the key.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    its not just Rolen.

Rolen > EE
    Stubbs > Taveras
    Janish > Gonzo

The Reds have improved 3 spots in the lineup recently. Even with our #1 catcher going down the addition of Rolen PLUS the 'addition by subtraction' in CF & SS is why the Reds are playing so much better.
    And the pitching has gotten over its rough patch (at lest comparatively, could still use some improvement).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I don't know what they are including the few games Rolen played before he got beaned, but here are Phillips numbers since Rolen came off the DL:

.349 .364 .488 .852
    Phillips numbers from August 1st thru August 7th were .250/.308/.333, while Rolen's starting out of the gate here were .143/.250/.429. Clearly Rolen coming back sharp seems to have made a difference in Brandon's game.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And the pitching has gotten over its rough patch (at lest comparatively, could still use some improvement).
    I wonder how much the pitching staffs improvement is based upon now that the Reds have plus defense at 2b, SS, 3b, and CF?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I wonder how much the pitching staffs improvement is based upon now that the Reds have plus defense at 2b, SS, 3b, and CF?
    I'm sure it helps. I'd also like to look at some catchers' ERA numbers, but I haven't done it. I'm not sold on that stat entirely, but I'm curious if it aligns with my observations. I don't think Hanigan calls a great game. I thought losing Hernandez (and I count all the time he spent at 1B as losing him) really hurt. In fact, I'm not sure Miller doesn't call a better game than Hanigan. Haven't seen enough to be sure, though.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I don't think Hanigan calls a great game.
    The game is called from the bench, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    The game is called from the bench, IIRC.
    Is that correct? I don't see many games, but I don't recall our catchers routinely look over to the dugout for signs.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Is that correct? I don't see many games, but I don't recall our catchers routinely look over to the dugout for signs.
    Seems like every game I've been to they have been.

Maybe there's just some hot babes in the front row behind the dugout and young Ryan loves to sneak a peek?

Seriously, though, I don't know for sure but I see them looking over *seemingly* all the time when I'm at the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Seems like every game I've been to they have been.

Maybe there's just some hot babes in the front row behind the dugout and young Ryan loves to sneak a peek?

Seriously, though, I don't know for sure but I see them looking over *seemingly* all the time when I'm at the games.
    I think there's a mix. In tight spots, I think you're right. But not every pitch. There would be no shaking anyone off if that were the case.

Ltabner. I thought when Dusty and co. took over the catcher began to call the games. It was different under Boone, Miley, and Narron.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Ltabner. I thought when Dusty and co. took over the catcher began to call the games. It was different under Boone, Miley, and Narron.

I read earlier this year that Dusty said the catchers call their own games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Osuceltic's suggestion makes a lot of sense. Catcher probably glances over to see if there's a specific pitch or play on. Otherwise he calls his own game as suggested by previous reports.

Mystery solved.

Turn Off Ads?