Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the Rolen effect...part deux

Re: the Rolen effect...part deux

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Bingo.
    You know a team near the Reds was famous for being bad all year then having good 2nd halfs and standing pat only to repeat the process the next year.

Cincinnati tradition
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Fay:

Brandon Phillips is the hottest hitter in baseball. He’s hitting .571 over his last eight games. Elias Sports Bureau says no player with at least 20 at-bats is hitting as high over that period.

I asked what he attributed it to.

“Scott Rolen,” he said.

How so?

“Just watching him play everyday,” Phillips said. “He doesn’t talk that much. But the way he approaches the game. I learn a lot from just watching him. I don’t talk to that much. We say: ‘Congratulations. Nice hit.’ That stuff. But his approach to game says a lot.

“We have the same agent (Sam and Seth Levinson). I talk to my agent a lot about Scott and the type of person he is and how he approaches the game. It really shows me what I need to work on — how to be a better teammate, how to be a better major league baseball player, how to be a better leader.

“It’s a beautiful thing that Walt Jocketty brought him over here. I don’t know how it’s affected everyone else. But the type of person I am, it’s affected me. I’m hungry. I feel like I’ve got room for improvement. Watching him shows me I have a lot of work to do. I attribute my success lately to Scott Rolen, especially with him hitting behind me. He doesn’t try to do too much. He lets the game to come to him. I’m trying to let the game come to me. You go out and do what you can. When you leave the field, you’re going to be happy, instead of worrying about what you could have done.”

Phillips could trying to say that right thing. But if Rolen has a long-term affect on how Phillips plays, it will be a nice bonus to the trade.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    From Fay:
    I've been saying all along, these intangibles do exist. Clearly, Phillips is benefiting most from having a talented hitter being behind him. But there's a small, but certifiable amount of importance to work ethic, approach, leadership (by word or by example) and such.

More importantly than that, it just goes to show that perhaps this trade truly is mattering in the way it was supposed to.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

No surprise there, good to see BP is paying attention.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

High five!

OMG, BP was stealing from us before Scott Rolen got here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I've been saying all along, these intangibles do exist. Clearly, Phillips is benefiting most from having a talented hitter being behind him. But there's a small, but certifiable amount of importance to work ethic, approach, leadership (by word or by example) and such.

More importantly than that, it just goes to show that perhaps this trade truly is mattering in the way it was supposed to.
    Good luck, Brutus.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Good luck, Brutus.
    You suggesting that perhaps I've opened Pandora's Box?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Maybe

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

If he's opened the box then so have I because I think he's onto something here. Joey mentioned some similar things during his post game interview tonight so Scott has made a difference with at least two of the cornerstone young Reds guys and it's not too far of a stretch to think he's had an effect on some of the other guys too. I don't really know for sure or anything but it's darn fun being a Reds fan right now!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    If he's opened the box then so have I because I think he's onto something here. Joey mentioned some similar things during his post game interview tonight so Scott has made a difference with at least two of the cornerstone young Reds guys and it's not too far of a stretch to think he's had an effect on some of the other guys too. I don't really know for sure or anything but it's darn fun being a Reds fan right now!
    If the Reds could find some way to pry Orel Hershiser away from the booth and get him to be the Pitching Coach..... The they would be cooking with gas.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Just a note, from which I draw no conclusions. Blue Jays were 49-53 when they traded Rolen, are now 60-75. 11-22 during that stretch, 2-8 in the last 10 (the reverse of the Reds 8-2).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    From Fay:
    That's very cool to read. There's no question that Scott Rolen is about the most consummate professional in the game, and there has to be a significant intangible benefit a young team receives from watching his approach. Regardless of how you quantify Rolen's presence, his value certainly exceeds his punchless 734OPS as a member of the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    That's very cool to read. There's no question that Scott Rolen is about the most consummate professional in the game, and there has to be a significant intangible benefit a young team receives from watching his approach. Regardless of how you quantify Rolen's presence, his value certainly exceeds his punchless 734OPS as a member of the Reds.
    Well, he ain't what he used to be at the bat, but he still is a huge jump ahead of the former third baseman and a genuine major leaguer, of which the Reds have few. This team has lived so long on the cheap that they have forgotten what good players are. I understand your comment, but this long list of "never has beens" that have dominated this club for so long (as well as the "promising minor leaguers") have led us to believe that no real major leaguer needs to be on this club. I think we've seen what one of those genuines can do.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

It's like being from a dysfunctional family, if you never see an example of how things should be done to achieve success, it is very difficult to do the right things. You can read all the books you want and be told and retold the proper way, but until you witness someone doing it day after day you just won't get it. These guys are young and very impressionable, I can see how they'd ALL be effected by a living example showing up in their midst.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    It's like being from a dysfunctional family, if you never see an example of how things should be done to achieve success, it is very difficult to do the right things. You can read all the books you want and be told and retold the proper way, but until you witness someone doing it day after day you just won't get it. These guys are young and very impressionable, I can see how they'd ALL be effected by a living example showing up in their midst.
    Well said!

Turn Off Ads?