Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who do you think the #5 starter will be for the Reds this year, on the OD roster

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aroldis Chapman- the one and only

12 14.46%
  • Matt Maloney- the other lefty

30 36.14%
  • Justin Lehr- the one who taught Homer his splitter

7 8.43%
  • Travis Wood- the long-time prospect

10 12.05%
  • Micah Owings- Much more expierience, better bat than arm

23 27.71%
  • Other- name him

1 1.20%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: #5 starter

POLL: #5 starter

I'm goin with Chapman, then Lehr then, Maloney.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: POLL: #5 starter

Tough call, but I'm going with Owings because I think Price will be partial to him due to their time together in Arizona. I'm sure Baker will have the final say, but Price will certainly have input.

thorn

No offense, but it Lehr gets more than 5 spot starts, we are in for a world of hurt. Maloney, Ownes, Lecure, Wood, Leake then Chapman is my preferred order of 5th starter/Spot starters. Wood, Leake and Chapman need more time in the minors or they would be higher, IMO. I also think Volquez will be available late in the year pushing Lehr further down the list.
    Last edited by thorn; 01-21-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Resident PED Expert

Owings. Shoulder will be stronger another year removed. Bat is very valuable off the bench. Best season as a pro came with Price as his pitching coach... Might find new success.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Maloney deserves a legit shot, IMO.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Interesting. 21 votes in and Maloney has a 1 vote lead over Chapman.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Lehr, Maloney, Owings, Wood, Chapman.

Wood starts season in triple A.
    Chapman starts season in double A.
    Lehr and Maloney battle for 5th starter position in spring training.
    If those two fail, Owings gets the 5th starter position.

Wow. Didn't expect Maloney to be in the lead, especially not by so much.

Also thought Chapman would've had more votes.

I liked what I saw in Lehr better than Maloney, though I took Chapman to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Also thought Chapman would've had more votes.
    Although Chapman is the most appealing name, I think most people understand that he's such a key part to the Reds future that the organization will handle him with kid gloves. I'm honestly surprised he's gotten as many votes as he did.

I'm a little surprised Maloney is leading by so much also. I thought it would be real close between him, Owings, and Wood.

Smit has an unbelievable Spring forcing the Reds to put him in the rotation. Hey, it could happen. I am surprised he was even given a ST invite.

Smit has an unbelievable Spring forcing the Reds to put him in the rotation. Hey, it could happen. I am surprised he was even given a ST invite.
    Never heard of him. Wearing #69 though, so the Reds don't expect him to make it.

Actually Smit probably has a better chance than Chapman of being the #5 starter. He had 73 k in 71innings last year to go with a 3.04 ERA at Carolina. He was one of the Netherlands pitchers in the classic that simply shut the Puerto Rican or DR team down. he is a little wild and he is a fly ball pitcher. Maybe the Reds want to give other teams a look. Maybe the Dodgers are interested. They talked about Harang.

I like Wood here. What is so different bringing him up then when we brought up Cueto? Wood is older than Cueto was when we brought him up and has spent just as much time in the minor leagues.

Please not Owings again. Make him the Long guy out of the pen and use him to pinch hit-not as the 5th man. Rather see Lehr or Maloney than him there.

Why so many votes for Owings? 5.34 ERA, 7-12, I don't get it.

Whoever's voting for him, what's your rationale?

Why not give one of the young guys a shot?

Turn Off Ads?