Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What's Micah Owings' optimal future?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starting pitcher, he's better than people think

4 7.69%
  • Long man, where he'll be able to rear back for a little extra

46 88.46%
  • Micah Owing has no future as a pitcher

2 3.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Micah Owings, long reliever?

Micah Owings, long reliever?

As a starting pitcher Micah Owings is a decidedly unexciting proposition. Meanwhile he seems to have a lot more oomph working out of the pen. I don't know if his shoulder could sustain more frequent work, but it seems to me that Owings might be able to give the club a legitimate long reliever, a guy who can actually go 2+ IP. He could spare the rest of the pen from having to log a ton of innings and from getting used too early in the game. And you don't have to pinch hit for him.

That's my case for him, but let's poll this one. Anyone else think he's got a future as a long man?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Micah Owings, long reliever?

Yes. I've always favored carrying a long guy, and I'm a fan of the 3-inning save after your starter gives you 6 solid. Owings was getting hammered hard by the end of his stay in the rotation this year -- I just could not see him making any adjustments, and my conclusion is that he does not have the repertoire (even of a Justin Lehr) that will allow him to survive as a starter over the long haul. Though it's hard to know how accurate the readings are on TV, he did have a couple extra MPH on his fastball last night. If he can locate it, and have one of his secondary pitches in decent shape, he can get through the order once, I'm pretty sure. You have to love having his bat on the roster, so I hope they do try to reshape his career as a long guy. At the same time, I'd be checking to see if he'd be interested in playing some winter ball at first base. I see him as potentially useful as a backup there. Might keep him interested, I figure, as I doubt the prospect of long relief is enticing to him at the moment.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 09-02-2009 at 07:22 AM.

For a Level Playing Field

I voted long man, but...

I like having his bat available for PH duty 4 out of every 5 games. This will not be the case unless it is the day after a game in which he threw 2 or more innings. Of course he is a pitcher first and a PH second. Best to utilize the arm in the best way for the club.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Brooks Kieshnick, new and improved version.
    Stick to your guns.

I hope the team has no choice but to put him in the long spot, meaning I hope we acquire a SP and I fully expect, as I always have, the further development of Homer Bailey into a top flight starter. And I also think Owings could have a great future here as a reliever and emergency starter, though the pressure on the shoulder of the number of warmups and appearances is something that will have to be discovered as he actually starts to play this role.

The nice thing about him as a long man is that if he's going multiple innings, he can hit for himself.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

High five!

He seemed to be throwing a bit harder last night. I think long man is an excellent role for him.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I remember so well this same discussion when Owings joined the Reds. The prevailing opinion was that his bat was too valuable to use him as anything but a SP and that the Reds could put up with sub-par starts just to maximize his plate appearances. What a difference a year of watching him start (and hit) makes!

Most clubs are going away from having a long man.

If the Reds are able to find a reliable long man in Owings, they really need to leverage it by carrying only 11 pitchers instead of 12 (for example, maybe we are only carrying 11 now, I lost track).. Anyhow, carrying one less pitcher lets us carry an extra bat on the bench or perhaps an extra no hit infielder.. That would let us pinch hit for Janish more frequently.

IMO, having a long man loses some of its value if the club still carries 12 pitchers.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If the Reds are able to find a reliable long man in Owings, they really need to leverage it by carrying only 11 pitchers instead of 12
    Absolutely, 100% correct. If Owings can be a true long man then that ought to trigger an extra bat on the bench.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

After three or four innings or so, Owings tends to get tired and resorts to dropping his arm slot and faulty mechanics. I think he should be a long reliever with an occasional spot start when needed.

Of all the polls I've seen on this site, I can't believe this is the most lopsided one I've ever seen.

long relievers are fungible ... and it would negate his bat. If I were owings I would ask to be sent to the minors and learn to play 1b/lf. As a pitcher he is blah.

If the Reds are able to find a reliable long man in Owings, they really need to leverage it by carrying only 11 pitchers instead of 12 (for example, maybe we are only carrying 11 now, I lost track).. Anyhow, carrying one less pitcher lets us carry an extra bat on the bench or perhaps an extra no hit infielder.. That would let us pinch hit for Janish more frequently.

IMO, having a long man loses some of its value if the club still carries 12 pitchers.
    I don't think I agree with this because part of the value of keeping Owings around is that he can hit, which gives you the extra bench guy. Now, I understand that the long guy is supposed to be your last resort in most games, meaning it would be a mistake to pinch hit Owings in games he might pitch. My thinking is this -- pitch him primarily in blowouts, games where a comfortable lead for either team has been established by the 5th/6th. Plan for the back end of the game differently, you'll still have 6 relievers to do it.

Problem with carrying only 11 pitchers with Owings as your long guy is that you really have to use him pretty frequently in order to save the other arms. And I doubt his arm is resilient enough for that, nor do I think he'll be all that effective (and thus a liability to use often).

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I voted long man, but...

I like having his bat available for PH duty 4 out of every 5 games. This will not be the case unless it is the day after a game in which he threw 2 or more innings. Of course he is a pitcher first and a PH second. Best to utilize the arm in the best way for the club.
    Here's the thing. If he is a long man, he isn't usually going to get into the game after the start of 7th inning unless the pen is hurting or the game is looking like extras. So, during the 7th inning stretch, he can jog down to the dugout and be ready for PH duties if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Absolutely, 100% correct. If Owings can be a true long man then that ought to trigger an extra bat on the bench.

One could say he is that extra bat on the bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?