Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Half of the MLB Teams Have Losing Records

Half of the MLB Teams Have Losing Records

This may not be a shock to most of you, but after casually looking at the standing tonight, I discovered that out of the NL's 16 teams only 8 have winning records - Philadelphia, Atlanta, Florida, St. Louis, Chicago, Los Angeles, Colorado, and San Francisco. Philly leads the East by 8.5 games, St. Louis leads by 10.5 games, and LA by 5 games. The Wild card is a toss up between Atlanta, Florida, Chicago, Colorado, and SF. What's shocking is that after those eight, no one is doing well unless you consider Milwaukee at 3 over .500 or Houston at 6 over doing well.

The Reds have three teams with worse records than they do - San Diego (with 58 wins and only 1 below us), Pittsburgh with 53 wins and Washington with 46 wins. The Mets and the Diamondbacks with 59 and 60 wins are either tied or close.

I didn't do any research, but is this normal? It seems like baseball has gone the route of the haves and have-nots to the extreme. What is the solution? Only Florida and Colarado on that list appears to be from a small market (Florida because no one attends games and the Rockies because...I don't know why). And yet big market teams like the Mets are doing no better than the Reds are. Looks like there will be a big competition for good players in the off season this year. All the more reason to believe we are seeing the 2010 Reds on the field right now. And that gives me pause...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Re: Half of the MLB Teams Have Losing Records

Unless there's a big disparity in interleague play, half the teams in a league will always have losing records, right?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

To measure "parity" or lack thereof, you might want to use the standard deviation of some measure like wins or winning percentage (essentially the same thing).

More parity...lower SD.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Unless there's a big disparity in interleague play, half the teams in a league will always have losing records, right?
    No, because you will have some clubs who lose considerably more than the others, so the top teams really clobber the lower teams.

I did a quick look on baseball-reference and here's the breakdowns from 1956 to 1963, right through the first expansion.

1956 8/8
    1957 10/6
    1958 8/8
    1959 7/9
    1960 8/8

1961 9/9
    1962 12/8
    1963 11/9

The 1962 season is interesting because three NL clubs finished with the best records (Giants, Dodgers & Reds) before the AL champ showed up (Yankees).

The breakdowns above are for .500 or better.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I have charted the NL over the last 10 years, here are the results:

Last year it was 9 teams with winning records, 7 losing
    2007: 9 winning, 7 losing
    2006 6 winning, 10 losing
    2005: 7 winning, 7 losing, 2 even
    2004: 9 winning, 7 losing
    2003: 10 winning, 6 losing
    2002: 7 winning, 9 losing
    2001:9 winning, 7 losing
    2000: 8 winning, 8 losing
    1999:6 winning, 10 losing

9 and 7 seems to be about the norm for each year, so 8 and 8 is not unusual at all. Nothing to be alarmed about. Not a break in the trend at the least.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    This may not be a shock to most of you, but after casually looking at the standing tonight, I discovered that out of the NL's 16 teams only 8 have winning records - Philadelphia, Atlanta, Florida, St. Louis, Chicago, Los Angeles, Colorado, and San Francisco. Philly leads the East by 8.5 games, St. Louis leads by 10.5 games, and LA by 5 games. The Wild card is a toss up between Atlanta, Florida, Chicago, Colorado, and SF. What's shocking is that after those eight, no one is doing well unless you consider Milwaukee at 3 over .500 or Houston at 6 over doing well.
    On a similar, but possibly related note, I heard a radio analyst point out last night that all 6 division leaders had a minimum 3-game lead on September 1. The only other time that happened under the 6-division format, there wasn't much of a pennant race, as all 6 retained their leads until the start of the playoffs. The Wild Cards could be this year's only exciting races, heading down to the wire.

Next Year

Ten or twelve years ago my grandfather increduously proclaimed to my dad that 50 per cent of all NFL teams lose on any given Sunday. 50 per cent!

My dad had no response.

Quote Originally Posted by redsbuckeye View Post
    Ten or twelve years ago my grandfather increduously proclaimed to my dad that 50 per cent of all NFL teams lose on any given Sunday. 50 per cent!

My dad had no response.
    what are the odds

Not true - at least one NFL team loses on Monday, so no more than 15 of the 32 teams lose on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by redsbuckeye View Post

My dad had no response.

After I started that thread, I realized I should have done more research and wondered how many would call me an idiot. Thanks for humoring me. Of course, redsmetz and others bailed me out, so thanks. It was late...

Anyway, there does seem to be some normality to the season regardless of what it looked like through bleary eyes last night. Looks like LA, St, Louis, and Philly will win their divisions, but the wild card will be the race. I just hope Atlanta doesn't win the wild card (call me holding a grudge, but I hate the Braves).
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Not true - at least one NFL team loses on Monday, so no more than 15 of the 32 teams lose on Sunday
    Figure in bye weeks and Thursday Night Football, and grandpa was all wet!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?