Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jose Reyes Should Be Traded: Stark

Re: Jose Reyes Should Be Traded: Stark

Reyes is going to have to show he can run -- and cover ground at SS -- before anyone will give up solid value for him, I imagine. If he's having his hamstring (muscle or tendon) reattached, it's going to be tough for him to be the player he was.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Given what Bruce's done in 2009, why hold onto him if he's the one player keeping us from obtaining Jose Reyes?
    Because his 2009 is busted up by the lowest BABIP in baseball this year and the lowest BABIP EVER by someone with his isolated power in the history of the game. He is a .900 OPS gold glove corner outfielder waiting to happen. I am not moving that type of guy while he is cheap. Votto is a little easier as a first baseman.

Arroyo + Alonso + Wood for Reyes + a PTBNL?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Arroyo + Alonso + Wood for Reyes + a PTBNL?
    Who's the PTBNL?

I've never understood how you can put a PTBNL into an imaginary deal.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because his 2009 is busted up by the lowest BABIP in baseball this year and the lowest BABIP EVER by someone with his isolated power in the history of the game. He is a .900 OPS gold glove corner outfielder waiting to happen. I am not moving that type of guy while he is cheap. Votto is a little easier as a first baseman.
    Gotta give up something to get something.

Reyes is the SS the Reds should target if he's actually available.

I'd rather see a lock @ SS and trying and figure out the OF, rather than trying to figure out SS while continuing to try and figure out the OF.

Solve 1 problem, move onto the next.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    To piggyback on what TheNext44 posted:

We have a surplus of outfielders (including the minor leagues). Alonso, Arroyo, Heisey, and Dorn for Reyes?
    I'd say that is an unrealistic trade. Another club could top that pretty easy...that is if the Mets would agree to it...which I don't think they would.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    His xBABIP is .240

Luck is the furthest thing from his problems.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Its said that the mets will need a new 1b.

Would you move votto for Reyes? Move Francisco to 1b and let him compete with alonso or Frazier for the spot? Phillips and Reyes and stubbs up the middle would make me giddy.

If you still have Bruce, I think you can go focus on lf and c.

Hell, didn't gomes play some 1b? Maybe he can compete for votto's spot too.

Obviously you would have to match up some salaries as well, but just trying to think outside the box a little.

A loss of votto would be huge, but if you believe in the other pieces coming up the pipe, or can get it in FA, is it worth the gamble? Gutsy for sure.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

cincyinco, I love your thinking, but I've seen Gomes play first base, and let me say that it would be a disaster to count on him there for more than few innings. It's almost as painful as watching Wily Mo Pena giving third base a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'd say that is an unrealistic trade. Another club could top that pretty easy...that is if the Mets would agree to it...which I don't think they would.
    They could? A top 25 prospect, a 200 IP league average pitcher, plus 2 backup outfielders (one with excellent defense and baserunning skills) for Reyes (whom obviously has the hamstring issue) would easily be topped by another team? I highly doubt that.

Can't say I've seen enough of gomes at first to know, so I trust what you say.

Still my point remains..

I think conceivably, I would be willing to give up votto for Reyes. I love votto, but Reyes is an elite player, IMO, at a position of incredible want and need for our particular favorite franchise. I think its much easier to fill the gaps in the roster if they are at 1b, lf this coming offseason than they are if SS.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

You build around a guy like Votto. You don't trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agree this is of paramount importance. What do you think a suitable offer would be?
    Reyes has been a 5.5 WAR/year player in the three years prior to this season's injury (ended by severely torn hamstring that looks to need surgery). That's an elite player at an elite position as an average major league player is worth about half that a year.

Reyes is owed roughly $20M over the next two years assuming his option year is picked up. Assuming his hammy doesn't reduce his production going forward, he'd be expected to produce 10 WAR over that period. On the open market, that would be worth about $45M.

So two years of Reyes might be expected to yield 10 WAR and $25M surplus value. That of course is huge.

Also, the majority of his worth has been derived from his bat (he's grades as something like a neutral to +5 defender) so a move from NY to GABP might be expected to increase his counting stats. That said, the hammy has got to impact his defense at least a bit.

The Reds would have to give up an awful lot-especially since the Mets would argue that a salary for salary exchange certainly is not appropriate given the surplus value that would be going the Reds way. They'll want blue chippers (i.e. no Arroyo).

Votto/Phillips/Cueto/Alonzo/Bruce would all be names that would be talked about I'm sure.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    You build around a guy like Votto. You don't trade him.
    Don't you build around a guy like Jose Reyes, too?

I agree that we may be able to move someone like Francisco to replace Votto at 1st. But if you deal for Reyes you have to be counting on contending in 2010 or 20111. Can we bank on Francisco even being ready to start in April 2010?

Turn Off Ads?