Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grande is #4 on list of chattiest MLB TV announcers

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Grande is #4 on list of chattiest MLB TV announcers

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...27854120.html#

Meet Baseball's Chattiest TV Announcers

If it seems like your baseball team's play-by-play man jabbers endlessly at 1,000 words a minute, well, he doesn't. But the St. Louis Cardinals' Dan McLaughlin comes closer than most of his peers, talking at an estimated 109.9 words every 60 seconds.

In a quest to figure out how much play-by-play men actually talk, we listened to the first scoreless inning of every team's home broadcast last Friday—tally counter in hand—and calculated how many words they uttered per minute. The Yankees' Michael Kay and the White Sox's Ken "Hawk" Harrelson may be considered by some to be prolific talkers, but to be scientific about it, they're no worse than Houston's Bill Brown or Seattle's Dave Niehaus.

Mr. McLaughlin drove up his word count with a riff comparing Albert Pujols to Babe Ruth (based on how many extra-base-hits each player had in his first 500 at-bats), as well as expressing the opinion that Chris Duncan, a former Cardinal, was cut too quickly by the Boston Red Sox.

Apparently, announcers for bad teams feel an urge to fill dead air. Trailing Mr. McLaughlin was the Nationals' Bob Carpenter at 102.3 words per minute, the Reds' George Grande (102.1) and the Diamondbacks' Daron Sutton (100.4).

Perhaps not surprisingly, the laidback play-by-play guys mostly reside in California. The Giants' Duane Kuiper was the quietest at 55.4 words per minute, and the Padres, Athletics and Angels also were among the bottom six teams. Dodgers' legend Vin Scully smashed that trend with 143.4 words per minute, but that makes sense: He's the only announcer in the league who works the booth without a partner.

—David Biderman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grande is #4 on list of chattiest MLB TV announcers

Grande is horrible. I really, really detest the way he announces ball games.

High five!

George Grande does not bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Grande is horrible. I really, really detest the way he announces ball games.
    +1

I hate to beat a dead horse, but the guy uses way too many words to say way too little. He makes me facepalm nearly every minute of his dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    +1

I hate to beat a dead horse, but the guy uses way too many words to say way too little. He makes me facepalm nearly every minute of his dialog.
    Sometimes when I listen to him I think he is talking about a first place team. And then I realize he is...the Cardinals.

Yeah, he certainly has an unhealthy love for the Cardinals and any veteran who has won any kind of award ever, deserved or not. I doubt he actually believes a lot of the stuff he says--he strikes me as someone who is trying to fill dead air, and unfortunately, he rarely finds anything clever or insightful to say while doing it.

The worst sin a baseball announcer can commit, in terms of style, is a refusal to let the game 'breathe.'

No one is interested in hearing you prattle on and on and on and on and on....

George is a nice man, but he's the baseball anouncer equivalent of elevator music. I can tune him out pretty easily.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Scully's play-by-play is also carried on radio, correct? If that's truly the case, I don't think he should be included in the list and the others should be moved up a notch.

My least favorite announcers from the list:

Harrelson
    Scully
    Grande

I'd almost rather listen to Fran Drescher announce a game

My favorite from the list is Gary Thorne.
    Least favorite is former Reds TV guy Bill Brown.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Whoever did this analysis has a lot of time on their hands.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 09-03-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    George Grande does not bother me.
    Same. I almost enjoy him for his weird tendencies, including his Cardinals love. It's just easy to make fun of.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Scully's play-by-play is also carried on radio, correct? If that's truly the case, I don't think he should be included in the list and the others should be moved up a notch.
    Not just that, of course Scully talks more, he's alone. The rest of them are working with an analyst, and giving him chances to talk, too. How chatty the other guy is has an effect, too.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Same. I almost enjoy him for his weird tendencies, including his Cardinals love. It's just easy to make fun of.
    I think I like him because he seems like he's probably exactly the same in person as he is on the air. I know I've said before that it would not be surprising to see George put away a JTM "Beef Hoagie" and an O'Doul's.

I'd be hard pressed to see Thom do that.

I think Brantley would eat the bag it came in.

Turn Off Ads?