Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds outfield -- 2010

Reds outfield -- 2010

The Reds outfield needs help. Unlike the infield -- with Phillips, Rolen, and Votto, the outfield is one question mark after another. Some thoughts about next year's outfield.

1-Right field will be Bruce. His 2009 numbers must improve.

2-Centerfield will, IMO, be covered by an in-house guy or guys. With the money invested in Taveras and the showing of Dickerson and Stubbs, it would seem a major change here is unlikely. And Heisey can play center if the Reds want to add another guy to the mix.

I would be pleased with a Dickerson/Stubbs combo with Taveras either in a backup/pinch running role or sent elsewhere. Some believe the Reds will play Taveras because of his contract. Too soon to tell.

Another problem is that, with a short bench, can the Reds keep all three centerfielders?

3-Left Field - The current choices are Nix, Gomes, Balentien, or possibly Dickerson. Add Heisey to the mix.

I think the Reds will try to add a good hitter for this position. It's the most obvious area of potential upgrade. The other possibility I see is to give Gomes the job.

Would love to see a good veteran hitter added for the left field spot. That's my preference.

4-Outfield depth. Let's assume that the outfield next year is Bruce, Dickerson/Stubbs, and a new LF. That leaves only one spot for another bench outfielder. With a five man bench, you can't have three reserve outfielders.

In this scenario, the Reds will have to choose among Nix, Gomes, Balentien, Taveras, and Heisey for one outfield spot. And this does not include the possibility of Juan Francisco, Todd Frazier, or Yonder Alonso (with Votto moving to LF) being considered an outfielder for next year's Reds. Admittedly, these AAA candidates are long shots and don't regularly play outfield now. Dorn is another possibility for a spot.

Also consider that Micah Owings may be a reliever/bench hitter next year. That could enable the Reds to keep one less righty hitter on the outfield bench.

My conclusion is that the Reds have a lot of quantity for the outfield next year, but questionable quality. With the exception of Jay Bruce, I don't see any of the outfield spots as certain. And if the Reds keep five outfielders out of spring training, it could be a fierce battle unless there are major acquisitions that bring order by the spring.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-04-2009 at 11:12 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds outfield -- 2010

I think the scenario you paint here is probably right. I sure do wish, though, that we could see an OF quartet of Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey and Dickerson next year (barring any major acquisitions for LF, of course).
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

The Reds' 2010 payroll is pretty much as high as it can get, so I don't see the Reds offering arbitration to Nix or Gomes to keep them around unless a corresponding move is made.

Here's what I see:
    LF Balentien
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    OF Dickerson
    OF Taveras

In the event of an injury, the following players come up from AAA:
    Chris Heisey
    Danny Dorn
    Juan Francisco? (I really don't think he has a future at 3B)
    Drew Sutton or Todd Frazier could be sent out there, too.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Here is a list of probable 2010 FA left fielders. Probably should go in-house with our outfield unless we can get some money freed up to land Crawford. Other than that, I think were looking at Bruce, Tavares, Dickerson, Stubbs and Balentien.

Garret Anderson (38)
    Marlon Anderson (36)
    Jason Bay (31)
    Emil Brown (35)
    Carl Crawford (28) - $10MM club option with a $1.25MM buyout
    Johnny Damon (36)
    David Dellucci (36)
    Cliff Floyd (37)
    Matt Holliday (30)
    Jacque Jones (35)
    Gabe Kapler (34)
    Greg Norton (37)
    Wily Mo Pena (28)
    Manny Ramirez (38) - $20MM player option
    Dave Roberts (38)
    Fernando Tatis (35)
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Reds' 2010 payroll is pretty much as high as it can get, so I don't see the Reds offering arbitration to Nix or Gomes to keep them around unless a corresponding move is made.

Here's what I see:
    LF Balentien
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    OF Dickerson
    OF Taveras

In the event of an injury, the following players come up from AAA:
    Chris Heisey
    Danny Dorn
    Juan Francisco? (I really don't think he has a future at 3B)
    Drew Sutton or Todd Frazier could be sent out there, too.
    Thanks for mentioning Dorn, forgot him, edited my post to add him as a possibiity for outfield depth.

I don't see any real evidence that Castellini is topped out in terms of payroll. I know Fay keeps saying it, and he could be right, but I could see a one-year contract for under $10 million for a stop gap outfielder. There are some pretty good older veterans who could add offensively if the Reds would pony up.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Here is a list of probable 2010 FA left fielders. Probably should go in-house with our outfield unless we can get some money freed up to land Crawford. Other than that, I think were looking at Bruce, Tavares, Dickerson, Stubbs and Balentien.

Garret Anderson (38)
    Marlon Anderson (36)
    Jason Bay (31)
    Emil Brown (35)
    Carl Crawford (28) - $10MM club option with a $1.25MM buyout
    Johnny Damon (36)
    David Dellucci (36)
    Cliff Floyd (37)
    Matt Holliday (30)
    Jacque Jones (35)
    Gabe Kapler (34)
    Greg Norton (37)
    Wily Mo Pena (28)
    Manny Ramirez (38) - $20MM player option
    Dave Roberts (38)
    Fernando Tatis (35)
    I thought Vlad and Abreu, among others, were free this off-season. No?

And if Damon and the Yanks part ways, he's be a very good short-term fix.

Should they give Bruce competition? He was a reason for the collapse this year. Can he be counted on? Do or die with him in RF, or have someone compete with him for it out of ST?

I don't know why he should be given a starting spot on this team right now, as it's still based on potential and draft status.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I thought Vlad and Abreu, among others, were free this off-season. No?

And if Damon and the Yanks part ways, he's be a very good short-term fix.
    They're listed as right fielders. All in all I can think of some OF who could get the job done.

Xavier Nady (31)
    Vladimir Guerrero (34)
    Rick Ankiel (30)
    Witty signature.

Crawford's option will be exercised and Manny obviously will exercise his option. That leaves really only Holiday that resembles the type of hitter the Reds would be looking for in LF. A trade is probably more likely if anything other than what you stated happens.

Bum

Vlad might actually be a somewhat reasonable ST (2 years?) option if he would play for the Reds. Not sure what his defense is like anymore but he can still swing the bat.

Bum

Has there ever been an outfield that platooned at all 3 spots? A la:

vs. RHP: Nix or Dorn/Dickerson/Bruce

vs. LHP: Balentien/Stubbs or Taveras/Gomes

I actually would be OK with that, as long as we strengthened ourselves at SS. Eats up a lot of roster spots, though...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    They're listed as right fielders. All in all I can think of some OF who could get the job done.

Xavier Nady (31)
    Vladimir Guerrero (34)
    Rick Ankiel (30)
    I could easily see Rick Ankiel in a Reds uniform next year as Nix's replacement as the left hand hitting LF.

Outfield of Ankiel, Stubbs, Bruce with Dickerson and one more (Taveras, Gomes, Balentien?) on the bench.

I can't believe Wily Mo was put on that list.

Ankiel: .231 / .286 / .393 / .679
    Nix: .251 / .300 / .484 / .784

I continue to think Nix undervalued.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Ankiel: .231 / .286 / .393 / .679
    Nix: .251 / .300 / .484 / .784

I continue to think Nix undervalued.
    Ankiel had injuries this year. His 2007-08 were much better.

Turn Off Ads?