http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...0-8c2ed89c7473
Bengals announce cuts
Posted 45 minutes ago

a a Posted: 3 p.m.

For veteran running backs Brian Leonard and DeDe Dorsey, yes. For free-agent rookies Tom Nelson and Quan Cosby, also yes as the Bengals cut a 22-player swath through their roster Saturday to get to the maximum 53 players.

For veteran safeties Marvin White and Corey Lynch, no. And for rookie fullbacks Fui Vakapuna and Chris Pressley, also no.

At least for now, the Bengals opted to with four running backs and just one fullback (Jeremi Johnson) while also going with 10 defensive backs in a field that counts Nelson as well as special teams ace Kyries Hebert at safety.

Here are the 22 roster moves the Bengals made in in reaching the NFL limit of 53.

Placed one player on the Reserve/Injured list:
--WR Antonio Chatman (seventh-year player; ankle)

Terminated the contracts of three veterans not subject to waivers, releasing them to free agency:
--LB Darryl Blackstock
--LB Jim Maxwell
--DT Langston Moore

Waived the following 18 players:
--S Marvin White (third-year player; Texas Christian)
--G Andrew Crummey (second-year player; Maryland), injury settlement
--S Corey Lynch (second-year player; Appalachian State)
--G Jason Shirley (second-year player; Fresno State)
--DE Chris Harrington (first-year player; Texas A&M)
--RB James Johnson (first-year player; Kansas State)
--TE Kolomona Kapanui (first-year player; West Texas A&M)
--WR Maurice Purify (first-year player; Nebraska)
--WR Freddie Brown (rookie; Utah)
--TE Darius Hill (rookie; Ball State)
--DT Ventrell Jenkins (rookie; Kentucky)
--DT Clinton McDonald (rookie; Memphis)
--CB Rico Murray (rookie; Kent State)
--T Augustus Parrish (rookie; Kent State)
--FB Chris Pressley (rookie; Wisconsin)
--LB Dan Skuta (rookie; Grand Valley State)
--K Sam Swank (rookie; Wake Forest)
--FB Fui Vakapuna (rookie; Brigham Young)

Brown, McDonald and Vakapuna were seventh-round Bengals choices in the 2009 draft, and the other seven waived rookies entered the NFL this year as college free agents.

PRACTICE SQUAD: With the exception of Marvin White, all of the players waived today are eligible to be signed to an NFL practice squad if they clear waivers tomorrow. The Bengals plan to announce tomorrow a practice squad of up to eight players.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
--Rookie T Andre Smith of Alabama remains with the team on a roster exemption, not counting against the 53 limit. The exemption expires on Sept. 14.
--TE Matt Sherry cleared waivers and reverted to the Reserve/Injured list on Tuesday.
I really like some of the decisions, like Leonard and Dorsey both sticking around. I really like Leonard, think he can help around the goal line and gets tough yards, a lot of yards after contact. Plus, he is big and tough enough to be the backup FB or to show the old NFL set with both HB and FB lined up across from each other. Dorsey is a nice speed change and good special teams player.

I also was worried they'd let Nelson and Cosby go.

I don't see any major surprises in the cuts, though. Anyone else see any surprises?