Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And this is why I hate the Patriots

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

And this is why I hate the Patriots

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4450767

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman Richard Seymour has been traded from the New England Patriots to the Oakland Raiders, giving the rebuilding franchise a veteran stalwart up front.

In return, the Patriots received a first-round draft choice in 2011.

Graham ESPN.com's Tim Graham writes about all things AFC East in his division blog.

Seymour was in the final year of the four-year extension he signed in 2006. He was due to make $3.685 million.

"From nearly the day he arrived in 2001, Richard Seymour established himself as one of our premier players for nearly a decade," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Sunday. "His presence has been felt as a force on the field, a respected man off it and a multiyear champion."

The 29-year-old Seymour was drafted by the Patriots sixth overall in 2001, and started 105 of 111 games over eight seasons. He made 460 tackles and 39 sacks, and in 2002 was selected to the first of five consecutive Pro Bowls.

Seymour, who earned three Super Bowl titles with the Patriots, matched his career high with eight sacks in 2008.

The move is only the latest as the Patriots continue to get younger on defense. Linebacker Mike Vrabel was traded to Kansas City in the offseason, safety Rodney Harrison announced his retirement, and more recently Tedy Bruschi officially called it a career after 13 seasons.

"Any transaction we make is with the goal of what is best for our team and, as difficult as it is to part ways with a player of Richard's stature, many factors were taken into account when we considered this trade," Belichick said.

Richard Seymour is off to Oakland after tying a career best with eight sacks in 2008. Here's a look at Seymour's best seasons in terms of sacks:

"As an organization, we feel the trade with Oakland brings sufficient value and is in the long-term interest of the club," he added. "We are extremely grateful for the huge impact Richard's elite level of performance had on our success and we wish him the very best during the rest of his career."

The Patriots, who went 3-1 in the preseason, begin the regular season Sept. 14 against the Buffalo Bills at Gillette Stadium.

The addition of rookies Myron Pryor and Ron Brace to a defensive line that also includes veterans Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green and Mike Wright made Seymour expendable.

"It's the nature of the business," said veteran running back Kevin Faulk, the longest-serving player on the team after Bruschi's departure. "They have an agenda upstairs, and the coaches decide who comes and goes. You can't do nothing about it."

Faulk said the team will miss the way Seymour carried himself as a person and a player.

"He was a quiet leader," second-year linebacker Jerod Mayo said. "He led by his actions. He'll be dearly missed as a teammate and as a player on the field. But we have players that are ready to step up."

When asked if the Pats might be better without Seymour, Mayo said: "Ask me after Game 1."

In a corresponding move, the Patriots reached agreement Sunday with free-agent guard Kendall Simmons, a source close to the player told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Simmons will fill the roster spot vacated by Seymour.

A former first-round pick of the Steelers, Simmons appeared in four games for Pittsburgh last season. He worked out for New England last week.

Kendall is expected to sign later Sunday.
    Seymour is on the later stage of his career and with Al Davis' track record, this could end up being a top 5 pick in 2011. It's the equivalent of being in a fantasy league and then ripping off one of the not so brightest GM's for their best players.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: And this is why I hate the Patriots

Can we storm Raiders HQ and take the keys out of Al's hands please?!?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Raiders are awesome

This is going to work out about as well as Randy Moss for the 7th overall pick did. Only difference is the Patroits have a better record at not screwing up in the draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Good trade for both teams, with 1st round pick loss not til 2011.

Can't hate that Pats for working the system and competent management.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Good trade for both teams, with 1st round pick loss not til 2011.

Can't hate that Pats for working the system and competent management.

Exactly. I don't care for them too much but you can't hate them for trying to improve their team.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Al Davis will be dead by then so I'm sure he doesn't mind losing the pick.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

I'd like to say the Patriots are smarter than everyone, but this move doesn't show that. You get no credit for picking on the handicapped.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I'd like to say the Patriots are smarter than everyone, but this move doesn't show that. You get no credit for picking on the handicapped.

The Bengals should get no credit like that. Of course picking someone so high in the draft would cost them too much money.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

I'll pose this question. How many would have liked to have seen the Bengals make this trade? Similar team to the Raiders in terms of management, and you know that you are basically throwing away a potentially younger player of the same caliber. As much as I would love to see a Richard Seymour on our line, I wouldn't pay that price knowing our management.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Just some food for thought, but on offense, 2011 could be the year Terrelle Pryor and Julio Jones are draft eligible should they declare.

Anyone want to see one of these two in Foxborough?

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As much as I would love to see a Richard Seymour on our line, I wouldn't pay that price knowing our management.
    Agreed, but for a different reason. I actually like our D-Line. Peko, Tank and Sims form a solid DT rotation, and that's where he'd play in a 4-3 base. I like Seymour a lot, but for a first round draft pick, I'd rather improve the Offensive Line.

Id say Richard Seymour is on the big sloping down side of his career and its not because hes just getting old.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Id say Richard Seymour is on the big sloping down side of his career and its not because hes just getting old.
    What else do you attribute his downslide to? He went to 5 straight Pro Bowls in his younger years.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    What else do you attribute his downslide to? He went to 5 straight Pro Bowls in his younger years.
    Injuries

Turn Off Ads?