Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Football 2009 Season

UC Football 2009 Season

Figured I'd go ahead and start the thread ...

UC starts the season nicely by blasting Rutgers on the road! Now on to SE Missouri State next week - how we lookin' boys?
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UC Football

I wonder if ESPN is going to mention them now? I heard they didnt even mention UC in the big east preview on ESPN earlier this month

The offense was just rollin right along. I'm going to try to get student tickets for the weekend. For anyone who wants to see a game, UC has the SE Missouri tickets cheaper than any other games this year.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

It's not too late to pick to a season ticket or 8. The football team is holding up their end of the bargain.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'm going to use my 1000th post here to congratulation UC on their great conference win tonight and it was on the road no less! That was an awesome game and I'm glad the Bearcats have started off their season so well. I will definitely be checking out tickets for some of the home games this year. I'd love to see the guys play in person this year.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It's not too late to pick to a season ticket or 8. The football team is holding up their end of the bargain.
    No kidding, fans need to do their part to make this a big time program. Don't get outdrawn by Indiana.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Didn't see much of it because of the Reds game but that was a beatdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

UC football non-UCATS reserved season tickets: $262 (6 games)

Bengals football: $640 (10 single game tickets)

Make the switch. You'll be glad you did.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-07-2009 at 10:13 PM.

I'm sorry but UC football doesn't come close to comparing to Bengals football. Suppose the Bengals are bad, which is fine, but you're still seeing NFL players come through, not teams like Rutgers, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, those being the top talents you see.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I'm sorry but UC football doesn't come close to comparing to Bengals football. Suppose the Bengals are bad, which is fine, but you're still seeing NFL players come through, not teams like Rutgers, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, those being the top talents you see.
    Spoken like a man who has never been to a big-time college football game.

I mean, by that logic, why drive to Columbus this weekend to watch OSU v. USC? You're only going to see a few NFL-caliber players on the field. Much better off staying in town to watch the Bengals and the Broncos where EVERYONE is an NFL talent. Right?

Sorry, but Paint's right. Brian Kelly's UC program is a far superior value (when you consider atmosphere at the games, competitiveness of the team, and cost involved) to a Bengals season ticket, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

A little fact from my back pocket: The Big East produced more draft picks in 2009 per team than any NCAA conference.

And then there's this:

Career game puts spotlight on Pike
    Sep. 7, 2009
    By Mike Freeman
    CBSSports.com National Columnist

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- He's a better pure passer and more NFL ready than Tim Tebow. He's got a stronger arm than Colt McCoy.

He's got the smarts of Jevan Snead and unlike Sam Bradford has two perfectly healthy shoulders.

Some NFL scouts believe he's one of the fastest risers in all of college football and by the end of the season might be a first-round pick.

His name is Tony Pike and many of you have never heard of him. Stop lying, you haven't.

Rutgers University knows him well. In front of a home record crowd of 53,737 at beautiful Rutgers Stadium on Monday, Pike put on a show. No, show isn't the word. Pike took Greg Schiano's defense and did things to it that violated state decency laws.

This wasn't a game as much as it was a national coronation. America, meet Tony Pike and Tony Pike, please meet America.

Cincinnati 47, Rutgers 15 and Pike 1. As in, one possible beginning of a special run for a mostly, until now, nationally unknown player.

"I think this is a huge, huge game for us," Pike said.

"But we can get better," he said. "We're light years ahead of where we were last year at this time and we can get better."

Better? That's a tad scary. The Bearcats put up almost 600 yards of offense, averaged 8.1 yards a play and scored on all six of its trips to the red zone.

While Rutgers certainly aided Pike with missed tackles, truncated intestines and ineffectual game planning there still was little the defense could've done even if they had played flawlessly. Pike was that good, finishing 27 of 34 for a career-best 362 yards. He tossed three touchdown passes.

"No excuses," Schiano said, "we got whooped."

Pike is an important story because his conference needs an ignition source. Or, perhaps more bluntly, it needs a hero.

The Big East is the most disrespected big-time conference in all of college football. At the beginning of the year none of its teams were ranked in the top 25, and the football portion of Big East athletics is a joke.

Rutgers entered this year as a hopeful to change the image of the league for the better, but after this thumping the only thing the Scarlet Knights changed was their underwear.

Pike was hot from the start and though Cincinnati wasn't exactly playing the Florida Gators it's extremely easy to see there's talent leaking from every pore. Pike can deliver every throw and for someone who is 6-6 moves quickly. He reads defenses skillfully and is highly accurate.

It's a simple thing: The ball goes where it's supposed to, with the required velocity, and the chains keep moving.

Pike started the game completing his first six passes and his first incompletion was a drop. Early he was 9 of 11 for 110 yards and that quickly mushroomed into 20 of 25 for 286 yards and two touchdowns in the first half alone. He made only one bad throw the entire game, and it came on a screen pass. Even that was fluky. Rutgers defensive end Alex Silvestro bounced into the air like Moses Malone and plucked the football out of the sky.

Cincinnati's first-half possessions ended with: touchdown, field goal, interception, touchdown, touchdown, touchdown then the end of the half. None of their lengthier first-half drives (81, 62, 63, 71 and 58 yards) took longer than 2 minutes, 53 seconds.

Pike had a career high of 337 yards passing by the third quarter.

The third quarter.

If Pike didn't sit for a chunk of the second half he'd have passed for a googolplex.

"His leadership level has just gone through the roof," Cincinnati lineman Jeff Linkenbach said of Pike.

The Bearcats had two additional helpful factors in their trouncing of Rutgers. Pike began studying Rutgers' defense when the team first learned in the spring they were playing the Scarlet Knights. "He really did his due diligence on the reads," Kelly said.

Kelly also admitted that when Cincinnati's coaching staff traveled to Gainesville and studied how the Florida coaching staff used Tebow, Kelly hijacked some of those elements and incorporated them into his scheme. Rutgers looked completely unprepared for those Wildcat plays.

Schiano seemed to know Pike's Peak was coming. He spoke about the quarterback just several days before the game. Schiano's words didn't appear to be the usual Lou Holtz-like pregame gobbledygook. Schiano actually believed what he said about Pike and was almost prophetic.

"We didn't face Tony last year because of injury," Schiano said. "But when you watch tape of him, he certainly is as advertised. He's big, he's strong. He can throw the ball down the field vertically. Has nice touch in the short game. I wouldn't call him a runner, but he's definitely athletic, can avoid the rush, when he needs to run, he can run. Avoiding the rush, keeping his eyes down the field, throwing the ball down the field, he's got the arm to do it. He can really hurt you that way.

"The thing [is] that I look at Tony Pike and say, he's a big-time college quarterback. This guy is going to be I think a big-time pro quarterback. He can make all the throws. It will be interesting to see how much more they open it up."

Well, he would have to say Cincinnati opened it up quite a bit. Saying they opened it up is like saying Jose Canseco took a little bit of steroids. Pike didn't just open up a can on Rutgers he might've opened up a door for an entire conference.

A door to respectability.

Finally.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12171919

Id watch an NFL game over a college game pretty much every time. Unless its some super match up obviously.

I really can't afford it but I do both college and the NFL. I win! And I love them both.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Cincy looked awesome. They have quickly become one of my favorite college football teams to watch. Brian Kelly is an excellent coach.

ESPN talked about UC in the pregame leading up to Miami vs. Florida State. Lou Holtz said they will repeat at Big East champions and says he hasn't seen an offense look that good in Week 1 in a LONG time. Mark May agreed and said Cincinnati will be in a BCS bowl game if Brian Kelly has anything to do with it. Reece Davis then said if Brian Kelly were stock he is skyrocketing up and everyone should be buying.

Turn Off Ads?