Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Football 2009 Season

Re: UC Football

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You said you'd rather watch NFL players than schools like West Virginia, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh. I suppose USC and Ohio State are different because a few more of their guys go pro every year?

The schools you rattled off (WVU, Rutgers, Pitt) have produced some amazing players (Ray Rice, Steve Slaton, Larry Fitzgerald just in the past few years) and played some amazing games. Schools even smaller have given us current NFL superstars like Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Forte, and Michael Turner.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. You're free to have your own preferences, but I think if you limit yourself to watching just a few 15-20 schools, you miss out on not only a ton of great games but a ton of great players as well.

UC had 6 get drafted this past year. Not many schools had more than that. OSU had 7 I think. His logic doesn't add up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    When you go see UC, you see them play a weak big east conference, with no huge schools on the schedule to face them head to head.
    Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, WVU, Pitt, Oregon State...I would love to hear your definition of "huge schools" if these don't qualify.

UC finished in the top 20 the past two years. Six players off of last year's team got drafted and they're still ranked #23 this year.

The only thing that's not "elite" enough is the media perception and perception of some people in this city that still view UC as being small time.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Most of these marquee matchups are once again on the road. No one is questioning UC's scheduling strength, but the fact of the matter is that due to their current facilities they will be playing most of the big dogs on the road.
    Oregon State, Oklahoma, Fresno State, Illinois, & Virginia Tech all signed home and homes with UC recently. Ohio State was supposed to play in Cincy until they paid $1 million to move the game to OSU (won't get into the debate over why it was moved). Add in the conference games and there are plenty of big dogs coming to UC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    UC plays Fresno State in Nippert later this month, and Illinois also comes to Nippert on Black Friday this season. Oklahoma comes into town in 2010 (game is at PBS). North Carolina State will be the BCS team UC hosts in 2011, though it remains to be seen how solid the Wolfpack may be that season. Virginia Tech rolls this way in 2012.

For the most part, UC's been scheduling home-and-homes with the BCS schools and solid non-BCS schools (ala Fresno State). Oregon State was a home-and-home, and we hosted them in 2007. Oklahoma, Fresno State, Illinois, NC State and Virginia Tech are all home-and-homes, though with the exception of Fresno State and NC State, the home-and-homes have been stretched over a few seasons. Ohio State and Tennessee are the only big dogs on UC's schedule that will be on the road without a return home game here in Cincinnati.

The Hawaii game last season was an exception, but that game happened because of the payout incentive and 13th game offered to teams willing to travel there.
    Does it look like they will continue to have to play tough OOC opponents in PBS or can they attract those teams to Nippert?

On the brink of disaster

Does it look like they will continue to have to play tough OOC opponents in PBS or can they attract those teams to Nippert?
    They are going to expand Nippert one way or another, so they will be able to attract these teams to campus. UC realizes the only way to keep BK for any amount of time is to raise money, and that means getting more money from ticket sales.

The only reason the Oklahoma game is headed to PBS is because of capacity problems at Nippert; it's not really an issue of Oklahoma refusing to play there. Nippert's capacity is only 35,097, and the expansion plans are a tough task because the stadium is land-locked by several buildings.

There's another firm doing a Nippert expansion study currently, and they're expected to have some results later on this year.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    The only reason the Oklahoma game is headed to PBS is because of capacity problems at Nippert; it's not really an issue of Oklahoma refusing to play there. Nippert's capacity is only 35,097, and the expansion plans are a tough task because the stadium is land-locked by several buildings.

There's another firm doing a Nippert expansion study currently, and they're expected to have some results later on this year.
    What is the likely capacity of Nippert with an expansion? How many more seats are they trying to add? I guess what I am trying to say is what is the magic number they are looking for? 45000? 55000+?

Good things going on in Clifton right now.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Why are they trying to expand Nippert when UC already struggles to fill their paltry 35k on a regular basis?

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Why are they trying to expand Nippert when UC already struggles to fill their paltry 35k on a regular basis?
    They struggled until last year. Now it's no longer the case. The question is can they keep doing it. If they want to keep Brian Kelly, they have to start the expansion project very soon. If they keep Kelly, they won't struggle to fill the stadium not matter what size it is. The new part of the equation will be the new president and what they allow the athletic department do with the stadium.
    Last edited by acredsfan; 09-09-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    They struggled until last year. Now it's no longer the case. The question is can they keep doing it. If they want to keep Brian Kelly, they have to start the expansion project very soon. If they keep Kelly, they won't struggle to fill the stadium not matter what size it is.
    So they've sold out every home game this season already?

Building a huge stadium addition at a school that has traditionally struggled to draw and keep fans when you also play in the Big East conference is a risky proposition and hardly a 'sure thing.' Way too many in-conference 'throw away' games in the eyes of the 'average fan.' Perhaps we're just talking about 5-10k seats here which would be easier to understand, I suppose.

So they've sold out every home game this season already?
    I don't think so, but with walk up sales I believe they are expecting to sell out every game. They sold out all but the first one against Eastern Kentucky last year I believe.

Building a huge stadium addition at a school that has traditionally struggled to draw and keep fans when you also play in the Big East conference is a risky proposition and hardly a 'sure thing.' Perhaps we're just talking about 5-10k seats here which would be easier to understand, I suppose.
    No talks at all of building a huge stadium. They're keeping Nippert, just renovating and expanding it. Last I heard was the study they're working on now is planning to add luxury suites and 10,000 seats. Not sure why the Big East makes it risky, UC has the smallest stadium in the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    I don't think so, but with walk up sales I believe they are expecting to sell out every game. They sold out all but the first one against Eastern Kentucky last year I believe.
    That's good. Every game SHOULD be a strong sell-out, IMO, with such a small stadium considering UC's recent run of success. Anything less is a huge danger sign.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

That's good. Every game SHOULD be a strong sell-out, IMO, with such a small stadium considering UC's recent run of success. Anything less is a huge danger sign.
    I think you also have to factor in a stagnant economy as well -- especially in this part of the country.

Really, UC is in a period where it should start to experience strong growth in fan support. They're starting to tap into previously dormant alums and to pull so-called "bandwagon" fans on board. More importantly, though, they're are engaging the student body.

Current students (and recent '07 / '08 grads) now have a taste of what big-time college football is like. They're packing into sold-out games, tailgating before matchups with national post-season implications, and watching a football team that not only wins but wins with a bit of flair. The atmosphere for some of these games has been electric. These students are the ones who will swell the season ticket base, as the graduate from the student section to general admission ticketing.

There were entire generations of UC students that went through the school thinking that Nippert Stadium was a waste of perfectly good parking space for the Shoemaker Center. It's been harder to engage those alums as fans because they don't have a tradition to draw upon. These current fans? It'll be a much easier sell to remind them how amazing the 2008 run was.

So yeah, they haven't reached the point where Nippert is a sell-out as soon as tickets go on sale in the summer -- but they're going to reach that point very soon, IMO. Better to be prepared for that with expansion plans that accommodate everyone who wants a ticket than be caught flat-footed and stagnant.

And that doesn't even get into the benefits for the "Keep Brian Kelly" plans.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?