Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Football 2009 Season

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: UC Football

Quote Originally Posted by travisgrimes View Post
    Reece Davis then said if Brian Kelly were stock he is skyrocketing up and everyone should be buying.
    Keeping Brian Kelly should be job #1 for the school, but I don't know that it will be possible if he makes another BCS bowl this year.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Charlie Weis doesnt win 9-10 games this season he will be out of a job and if Urban Meyer doesnt leave Florida to go to Notre Dame you better believe Brian Kelly would be option #2 and would leave for ND in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Keeping Brian Kelly should be job #1 for the school, but I don't know that it will be possible if he makes another BCS bowl this year.
    I'm not delusional that Brian Kelly will spend the rest of his career at UC. However, I don't think that money alone will be enough to get him to move to another school. Remember, he's already turned down Notre Dame, Tennessee, UCLA and Washington. If it was about the money alone, he'd have been gone long ago. Shoot, he may turn into a Frank Beamer and stick around for thirty years.

In his contract negotiations with UC, Kelly has been adamant about the administration giving him the infrastructure to build a top program. That's why there will be all-weather practice fields to be built on campus. UC soon will have to make some difficult decisions on the future of Nippert, and so on (the architectural study will be done in December). Never has it been about the salary.

Also don't lose sight of Kelly's ultimate goal: win a national championship. In the Big East, he's got only seven opponents standing in his way.

No matter what happens, UC football is in a much better position than we were pre-Kelly. Let's not allow this to detract from enjoying this season.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Hey I wouldn't mind him leaving cuz then my high school coach, Kerry Coombs, would most likely be the one to take over> :-)

Wow.

From a UC fan's prespective, it was just sheer dominance. From a Big East fan's perspective, is UC that good, or is RU that bad? The conference needs all teams to step up to get the conference some recognition and respect. That being said, having a strong, dominant team is good to relieve some of the constant pressure brought on by national media of the worthiness of the BCS standing of the conference.

Because I ama Cincinnati fan and will only allow myself to enjoy this with tempered enthusiasm... Items of concern:

-how does Pike react when he doesnt have all day to throw?
    -can the O-line really run block as well as they showed?
    -how does the defense react to an offense and QB that are seasoned?
    -can they stop runs up the gut?
    -how does special teams do in a tight game where field position and field goals can win or lose the contest?

More or less it translates to: Can this team be as GREAT as they appear?
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

UC can't count on Rutgers to help the strength of schedule since Rutgers' out-of-conference schedule is Howard, Florida International, @ Maryland, Texas Southern and @ Army.

That's weak sauce.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Paintmered, Washington and Georgia Tech are the only notable teams that have actually ofered BK the job. He meet with people from Tenn here in Cincinnati last November but they did NOT offer him the gig.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Oh and by the way, if this team gets out of Corvallis with a win on September 19th, they have a chance to go unbeaten. You can call me crazy but they are very, very good. Pead, Gilyard and Woods are absolutley electric on offense.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travisgrimes View Post
    If Charlie Weis doesnt win 9-10 games this season he will be out of a job and if Urban Meyer doesnt leave Florida to go to Notre Dame you better believe Brian Kelly would be option #2 and would leave for ND in a second.
    I tend to think Jon Gruden will be angling for that job as well -- though the Irish might be a bit sour on looking to the NFL for solution. Having said that, ND looked pretty damn good on Saturday. Reports of Weis' death may be a tad premature.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

@ Oregon State should be our toughest game this year...either that or WVU or @Pitt.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Id watch an NFL game over a college game pretty much every time. Unless its some super match up obviously.
    I'm exactly the opposite personally. I find the NFL kind of dull.

Congrats to UC. As a Louisville fan, I expect UC to turn that 70-7 from 2004 around on the Cards this year.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Definitely enjoyed the Pike to Gilyard connection.

Without knowing other top QB to WR connections off the top of my head, I'd put Pike to Gilyard within my biased Top 5, but easily in a national unbiased Top 10.

I'm a Marshall and Xavier alum, so I don't hold a special place in my heart for the Cats. But I watched the game yesterday and sat in amazement of how far the program has come. Coach Kelly can and will win a national title if he stays at UC. They will also pick up a lot of fans...heck, I've even found myself pulling for them more than once the past few years. The Rutgers game was sheer dominance of a much tougher opponent than 90% of the Big East opened with. The Bearcats are the team to beat and I will say a dark horse contender on the national scene.

Wow that was an impressive game from the Cats. Dropping 45 points against the preseason favorite in their newly expanded stadium is awesome. Especially since Pike and most of the studs didn't even play the 4th quarter. Defense didn't look bad for having 10 new guys on the field, but I don't want to get too optimistic about them yet, Rutgers offense was pretty inept most of the day. The season couldn't have started any better.

For those of you considering going to a game I encourage you to do it, the atmosphere at Nippert stadium is awesome, and you're going to see some good football from these guys.

UC looked very good. If Kelly hadn't taken his foot off the gas after the 3rd quarter, the score would have been much worse. UC ought to be at least in the top 25. I look for big things for them this year.

Kelly's pre-game whining about opening at Rutgers seems a little silly now. But I understand he's looking for every angle and advantage he can possibly get. The guy doesn't miss a trick.

It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

Turn Off Ads?