Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State vs. USC...

Ohio State vs. USC...

Just figured I'd go ahead and get it started, what does everyone think?
    The media is definitely down on Ohio State after this weekend, and USC looked good. Only time will tell, playing in the horeshoe at night will be completely different for a true freshman QB though, compared to playing at home against San Jose St. That being said, I think USC will win the game, but at the same time, I think it should be a lot better game than everyone seems to be expecting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio State vs. USC...

Logically speaking, I would expect USC to win and not think twice. The only real advantage I see working in Ohio State's favor is the experience factor between the two quarterbacks. I don't believe Barkley will be intimidated, but I do think he'll make some mistakes.

Despite the logic, though, I think Ohio State wins. There's no sane reason to think so, but it's just a gut instinct. I think Terrelle Pryor will show up big time. The big thing for the Buckeyes, though, is their line HAS to block a lot better than it did against Navy. I don't actually think that game as a whole is very indicative of what OSU is or isn't capable of. It was such an isolated type of game that will not be a real factor in how the Buckeyes play this year. But their offensive line did not do well in run blocking. That has to improve if Ohio State is to win this week.

I think Ohio State wins. It will be a great game, I think.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    The media is definitely down on Ohio State after this weekend
    Not to make excuses for OSU but Navy did get a couple votes in the USA Today Poll going into the season.That's as many as Tenn. and more then Mich.I'm just saying that they weren't a push over and the Bucks were on the verge of blowing them out in the 4th.Still, I understand why people are down on them.

As far as the game goes.The Bucks are going to have to hold up on D.I don't think they can allow USC to score more the 30 points and have any chance.There will be no shootout if the Trojans Offense gets rolling and don't turn the ball over.It will be a blow out.

The only way I see Ohio State winning the game is if they play good D and control the ball by not turning it over and rushing for 200+ yards with Pryor getting around half that total.

People are going to say that the Buckeyes have to win this game to have a good season.I don't buy that.Sure they would get a lot of the National media off their back and position their selves nicely for another National Championship run but a loss wouldn't be all that devastating imo.This is a very young team with a lot of talent.The goal this year should be another Big 10 title and a BCS bowl win.A loss does nothing to hurt the chances of accomplishing those goals.Don't get me wrong.I'll be watching the game on the edge of my seat cheering for what would be my teams biggest win in a long time.I just won't be doing it thinking that the season is on the line.

I am anything but a tOSU homer, and being an IU fan I could care less about the rest of the Big 10,(the heck with conference pride, if I'm miserable I want everyone else to be miserable,) but I think tOSU wins this in a rout say 30-13 or so.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

USC by 14+... Ohio State looks a bit soft this season..
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Seeing as how all there is to go on is USC blows out San Jose St. while OSU nearly shot themselves in the foot, making any conclusions based on that is little more than Mark Mays level analysis.

The questions I have for the Buckeyes have so far been written off as "the O-line couldn't push a smaller Navy front." As I watched replays of the pressure put on by Navy that has everyone assuming it was lack of push, Navy was doing something funky that was landing lineman and backers into the backfield untouched. My untrained eye could not detect what it was, but it was not strength, it was some technique or scheme. It perhaps could have been smaller, quick feet linemen beating the slower fat boys up front, but just as the offense didn't pose a traditional scheme, I'm wondering the same about their defensive fronts. Anyhow, I say all that to say not so fast on writing off the O-line. One of the tough things about using prior games to base predictions in college football is that there are fluke schemes that create strange matchups for some teams. That's my excuse for the close Navy game, plus they clearly have some talent on that team. It wasn't a traditional cupcake opener. Add OSU's youth, and they are clearly still an unknown quantity at this stage.

Ohio State's offense was moving the ball great until Tressel made the questionable move of inserting Bowserman in the first half. That threw off the sync the rest of the game.

The media is predicting an embarrassing blowout from what I've seen. USC's hype didn't hurt them in this game last year, but I think I am expecting a Texas-like game since its at Ohio Stadium. Hopefully, this time they'll pull it out by a nose.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I think tOSU wins this game if Tressel isn't Tressel.

His offense is way too vanilla to compete with top programs, given the athletes on his team. He needs to let Pryor control the game, and emphasize his strengths.

I think tOSU's D will be the factor in this, in frustrating the USC Frosh, or allowing him to shine.

If the Frosh shines, then USC wins this big. If Pryor shines, tOSU wins by 10.

That being said, I think we'll see a tOSU victory, 24-14.

USC by 14 pts. Tressel has to turn Pryor loose and unfortunately he will keep him bottled up in a very predictible offense.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

USC - 35
    OSU - 17

It could be closer if Tressel coaches an atypical game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

I'm not an OSU fan, but I don't dislike them either. That being said, there are clearly a lot of "ifs" being thrown out there, and that tells me that even though fans want OSU to win, when you look at it rationally, USC should win this game. Pryor is an effective college QB when he plays well, but he is not a good passer. Tressel knows that, and as a result Pryor has only thrown more than 20 passes in a game twice. That makes the Buckeyes pretty one dimensional. However, Pryor can be a game changer because of his ability to run and make things happen.

Can OSU win? Yes, they are playing at home and that is a huge advantage, plus USC has a rookie starting at QB.

Will OSU win? Probably not, there are just too many questions heading into the game, they'll have to have many things go right to win. I don't think it'll be a blowout, but I don't think OSU can overcome their own flaws to beat USC.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    I'm not an OSU fan, but I don't dislike them either. That being said, there are clearly a lot of "ifs" being thrown out there, and that tells me that even though fans want OSU to win, when you look at it rationally, USC should win this game. Pryor is an effective college QB when he plays well, but he is not a good passer. Tressel knows that, and as a result Pryor has only thrown more than 20 passes in a game twice. That makes the Buckeyes pretty one dimensional. However, Pryor can be a game changer because of his ability to run and make things happen.
    Just wanted to address this. Last year Ohio State had a hammer of a running back, and a freshman QB. You don't want that guy throwing a bunch. What I saw Saturday probably has Pete Carroll sitting up straight in the coaches meetings. I only saw three below average passes from Pryor on Saturday, all made on the run. Two were still completed, and the other was the interception that was thrown late, but was still catchable. He threw with his feet set, and he didn't short hop any passes. He was 14-21 and two of those incompletions, were thrown to the Venus De Milo Taurian Washington. He threw one away, one interception, and had a couple broken up. The one thing I really liked from Saturday was the progress that Pryor has shown from last year as a passer.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Just wanted to address this. Last year Ohio State had a hammer of a running back, and a freshman QB. You don't want that guy throwing a bunch. What I saw Saturday probably has Pete Carroll sitting up straight in the coaches meetings. I only saw three below average passes from Pryor on Saturday, all made on the run. Two were still completed, and the other was the interception that was thrown late, but was still catchable. He threw with his feet set, and he didn't short hop any passes. He was 14-21 and two of those incompletions, were thrown to the Venus De Milo Taurian Washington. He threw one away, one interception, and had a couple broken up. The one thing I really liked from Saturday was the progress that Pryor has shown from last year as a passer.
    He still only threw 21 passes. There is a reason he doesn't throw many passes in a game and I doubt his performance against Navy really worried Carroll any more than he already was. Pryor is a capable passer, but not much else. His game is making things happen with his feet. If Pryor has to throw more than 25 passes, then it will be a long day. Pryor has to show a lot more to be considered a good passer. Fortunately for him, he doesn't have to be a great passer because he can do so much more. If the running game is shut down though, it would be tough for OSU to overcome that.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

I'm a USC fan but I think OSU wins this game. USC has a true freshman QB making his first career road start, plus their best wide receiver is out. OSU wins by 10. I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    He still only threw 21 passes. There is a reason he doesn't throw many passes in a game and I doubt his performance against Navy really worried Carroll any more than he already was. Pryor is a capable passer, but not much else. His game is making things happen with his feet. If Pryor has to throw more than 25 passes, then it will be a long day. Pryor has to show a lot more to be considered a good passer. Fortunately for him, he doesn't have to be a great passer because he can do so much more. If the running game is shut down though, it would be tough for OSU to overcome that.
    So if the five passes that Bauserman threw were added to his total, you would think differently? Getting caught up in the number of attempts doesn't really tell the story. Tom Brady was 31 of 56 attempts for 375 yards against Ohio State in 1998. End result OSU 31 Mich 16. Typically you throw more passes when behind in a game. Jim Tressel doesn't pass much when he has a lead. That formula works for him.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I think the two teams, on pure talent, are about even. Both have question marks, both have solid playmakers, both defenses should be very good. Since it's a night game, it negates any advantage OSU might have by USC having to venture out of PST.

The game is a pick 'em. I think Pete Carroll is a vastly superior coach to Jim Tressel -- especially when it comes to making the best use of his playmakers on offense. I think USC has a better defense than OSU, but I can't sit here and think that any true freshman (regardless of how talented he is) will just waltz into Ohio Stadium and set off any fireworks.

USC - 27
    OSU - 20

If there's any coach out there that can put a gameplan into place to let a true freshman be successful on the road, it's Pete Carroll. It would not shock me at all if that score was flipped, though.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?