Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oden likely out for 2007-2008

Oden likely out for 2007-2008

Oden Undergoes Microfracture Surgery

An exploratory arthroscopic surgery performed on Greg Oden today revealed cartilage damage to the Portland Trail Blazers rookie’s right knee. Oden is likely to miss the 2007-08 NBA season.

"Greg had an arthroscopy and a micro fracture surgery today," said team physician Dr. Don Roberts, who preformed the surgery. "He was found to have articular cartilage damage in his right knee. The area of injury was not large and we were able to treat it with micro fracture, which stimulates the growth of cartilage. There are things about this that are positive for Greg. First of all he is young. The area where the damage was is small and the rest of his knee looked normal. All those are good signs for a complete recovery from micro fracture surgery."

Oden is expected to be on crutches for up to eight weeks. Recovery time from micro fracture surgery varies from person to person, but generally takes between six and 12 months for full recovery.

"Certainly this is a setback, but our future is still incredibly bright," said Trail Blazers General Manager Kevin Pritchard. "Is it disappointing? Yes. However, this is a great core of talent and players of strong character and will continue to be."

Oden, the #1 pick in June’s NBA Draft, averaged 15.7 points and 9.6 rebounds for Ohio State last season, leading the Buckeyes to the NCAA national championship game as a freshman.

"We know this discouraging news for all of our fans, however, the people of Portland are very enthusiastic and compassionate about their Trail Blazers and I know they will stand behind Greg and the team during his recovery," said Trail Blazers President Larry Miller. "We believe our fans and sponsors are going to continue to support us because they know we’re headed in the right direction."

http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/Oden...6705-1218.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oden likely out for 2007-2008

Tough luck for Oden and the Blazers. I hope he heals fully and is back to full strength next season.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Tough luck for Oden and the Blazers. I hope he heals fully and is back to full strength next season.
    Or possibly a great, great thing. They could have the #1 pick two years in a row, or at least another lottery pick. Nothing helps more when rebuilding.

Is Oden the next coming of Sam Bowie for the Blazers? I'm sure they can't help but think that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Is Oden the next coming of Sam Bowie for the Blazers? I'm sure they can't help but think that.
    Crazy thing is that for the most part, the Blazers were still pretty good in what should have been the Sam Bowie Era.

They weren't the Lakers or the Bulls, but they didn't suck.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I hope the same, but it's highly unlikely. Microfracture surgery is never a good thing. Lots of players can have it and still be effective, but it takes away a lot of explosiveness, so he may never fulfill his full potential. Having knee problems at such young age also isn't going to do him any favors, but he can still be a very good player and I hope for the best for Greg.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 09-13-2007 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Another difference was that Sam Bowie's injury history should have been a known commodity to the Blazers when he was drafted. While at UK, Bowie broke his leg(s) multiple times and had to redshirt due to his chronic leg problems.

However, back then, you simply could not be the team which passed on 7+ footers who were available come selection time. Nowadays, the European flavor has infused the game resulting in a level of play that is so much faster by the front court players. In fact, if Bowie were a fifth-year senior in 2007-08, he may not have even been selected in the draft--let alone be taken in the Top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Another difference was that Sam Bowie's injury history should have been a known commodity to the Blazers when he was drafted. While at UK, Bowie broke his leg(s) multiple times and had to redshirt due to his chronic leg problems.

However, back then, you simply could not be the team which passed on 7+ footers who were available come selection time. Nowadays, the European flavor has infused the game resulting in a level of play that is so much faster by the front court players. In fact, if Bowie were a fifth-year senior in 2007-08, he may not have even been selected in the draft--let alone be taken in the Top 3.
    Yes the Blazers should have known that. I'm a UK fan and those injuries Bowie had were awfully frustrating. It was actually a fracture that just wouldn't heal. I have never before or since seen anything like that was.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wonder, when they do the surgery, if they will count his rings and see how old he really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    Or possibly a great, great thing. They could have the #1 pick two years in a row, or at least another lottery pick. Nothing helps more when rebuilding.
    Kind of like when David Robinson missed most of a season due to injury and the Spurs ended up with lottery pick Tim Duncan.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder, when they do the surgery, if they will count his rings and see how old he really is.
    Come on, he doesn't look a day over 42.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

All dyslexics must untie!

The Blazers' buzzard's luck with drafting centers goes beyond Bowie. Walton (feet) Mychal Thompson (broke his leg after rookie season) Sabonis (heel)...Oden is just the lastest setback in Portland's "brittle pivot" legacy.

If Roy and Aldridge stay healthy Portland's W/L record will improve. If the team (even with Przybilla at center, instead of Oden) wasn't in the west they'd be in the playoffs, guaranteed.
    Last edited by gm; 09-13-2007 at 07:26 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

I wonder if the OSU medical staff would have found this if he had stayed in college.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Hmmmm. No one seems to be harping on how he should have stayed at OSU now. Oden did the smart thing by entering the draft and things like this go a long way to proving it.

I guess he will have time to go back and hit some of those great college parties he would have missed out on had he not signed for millions of guaranteed dollars.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I wonder if the OSU medical staff would have found this if he had stayed in college.
    The MRI for Oden's knees checked out, pre-draft. The spot needing m/f surgery was small and the rest of the knee was sound, per the Dr. The fracture is not in a weight-bearing area.

Sounds like the injury occured this summer, though Oden doesn't remember a specific event that caused it. Here's a link to videos of Oden playing on that knee during the last week of August

http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/index.html
    Last edited by gm; 09-13-2007 at 07:04 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Turn Off Ads?