Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gomes?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Gomes?

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    I like him, but lets be realistic. Is this just the case of a guy putting it together to have one year that is way out of the norm for him? He's really surprising lots of NL pitchers this year. There will be more of a scouting report on him next year. With that said, I like him, and his approach, but I'm not trying to get carried away.

I DO think in a full time role, that he could be a productive player, perhaps an above average one, but I don't see him as a 25/30 HR/100 RBI guy.

+1

He'll price himself out of Cincinnati
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    +1

He'll price himself out of Cincinnati
    What do you consider pricing himself out?If the Reds offer him arbitration he has to take it at this point.You don't think he would take a 2 year 6 mil contract?If he did you don't think he'd be worth it?I guess that these are questions the Reds have to deal with but if we have any guy playing in our OF right now deserving a decent contract it's Gomes.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    What do you consider pricing himself out?If the Reds offer him arbitration he has to take it at this point.You don't think he would take a 2 year 6 mil contract?If he did you don't think he'd be worth it?I guess that these are questions the Reds have to deal with but if we have any guy playing in our OF right now deserving a decent contract it's Gomes.
    Not if that 6 million could go towards affording a C like Benji Molina or a SS. We have more OF options right now than the Reds know what to do with... Balentien, Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Francisco, Frazier, Heisey, Taveras, Dorn and thats not counting, if we keep Nix, Gomes or Dusty's boy McD. Why waste $3mil a year on a postion of surplus?

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Not if that 6 million could go towards affording a C like Benji Molina or a SS. We have more OF options right now than the Reds know what to do with... Balentien, Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Francisco, Frazier, Heisey, Taveras, Dorn and thats not counting, if we keep Nix, Gomes or Dusty's boy McD. Why waste $3mil a year on a postion of surplus?
    Because none of those guys have proven that they can produce like Gomes can at the big league level with Bruce maybe being the exception.If you can look at 8 different guys(excluding Bruce)and add up their career HRs and they don't equal 1 guys current season total you might want to consider keeping that 1 guy.

Because none of those guys have proven that they can produce like Gomes can at the big league level with Bruce maybe being the exception.If you can look at 8 different guys(excluding Bruce)and add up their career HRs and they don't equal 1 guys current season total you might want to consider keeping that 1 guy.
    C'mon, how can Gomes be described as proven. On a team that hits as atrociously as the Reds do this year, he wasn't even good enough to make the club out of spring training.

Resident PED Expert

Well how in the heck do these players prove themselves if you continue to sign journymen like Gomes who ends up blocking them... ????

Hey here ya go... Taveras is proven... Should we start him over Stubbs next year just because he is proven???

Im not keeping that 1 guy if he cost more than the league minimum. There are to many options at that postion with way better gloves and LONG TERM upside.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Well how in the heck do these players prove themselves if you continue to sign journymen like Gomes who ends up blocking them... ????

Hey here ya go... Taveras is proven... Should we start him over Stubbs next year just because he is proven???

Im not keeping that 1 guy if he cost more than the league minimum. There are to many options at that postion with way better gloves and LONG TERM upside.
    Balentien, Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Francisco, Frazier, Heisey, Taveras, Dorn.If you pick five of these 9 guys to be our OF in 2010 you are pretty much giving the Reds the worst OF in baseball.

I bet the only OF's that return next year are Jay Bruce,Gomes,Dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    I bet the only OF's that return next year are Jay Bruce,Gomes,Dickerson
    I hope your right.I think those 3 are the only OFs that we are sure are big league talent.There are a few others of the current bunch that have potential but starting 2010 we can't worry about blocking a young guy until he proves that he is ready to take over.When injuries happen and they will, the others will get their chance and when they do they need to step up and prove they belong.We have seen Stubbs do ok but we certainly don't want to just hand him the job based on what we've seen this year.

I think a Gomes/Dorn, Lefty/Righty sounds cheap and promising. 35+ HRs, 100RBIs, and a .270+ Avg. (from Dorn at least, if not Gomes as well).

Quote Originally Posted by bellposter View Post
    get rid of him lke cantu and then sign willy taveris brother
    Are you okay?

taveris is incredible he does not clog up the bases he saves wood by not using the tarnishing the wood by contacting a fast moving sphere, he takes circuitous routes to baseballs reminscent of vasco da gama, the reds need to try to establish an outfield of corey patterson, taveris, and possibly cecil espy for next year

Gomes should be everyday started next year in left field

Francisco will be backup lf and 3b.

Stubbs and Dickerson will be cf.

Taveras and Arroyo to Cubs for Zambrano?

Bruce will be in right field of course

Rotation will be
    Homer Bailey
    Johnny Cueto
    Aaron Harang
    Acquire Starter
    Matt Maloney

1B Joey Votto
    2B----I'm thinkin its orlando hudson
    SS----Thinkin also Phillips is moved to ss
    3b---Rolen
    C--Hanigan/Hernandez will be brought back for cheap