Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gomes?

Old Red Guard Reject

Gomes?

What would you do with Jonny Gomes this offseason if you're the Reds?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gomes?

Keep him!!! Simple as that... I don't see why not.

offer a 2 year 2 million dollar contract, with a 100,000 signing bonus. He is worth having on a team, but not worth more than 1 mil per year.

18 homers in 233 at bats. If he gets 500 at bats he hits 38 homers. I think a 2 yr. deal for 2 million would be s steal. Look at what we are paying Taveras, look at what we paid Dunn.

I say pay him 2 or 3 million a season. His defense couldn't be any worse than Dunn's right?

I'm not suggesting that he could put up Dunn like numbers but I'm also not suggesting you pay him a Dunn like salary.

If the price is right, sign him.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

I like him, but lets be realistic. Is this just the case of a guy putting it together to have one year that is way out of the norm for him? He's really surprising lots of NL pitchers this year. There will be more of a scouting report on him next year. With that said, I like him, and his approach, but I'm not trying to get carried away.

I DO think in a full time role, that he could be a productive player, perhaps an above average one, but I don't see him as a 25/30 HR/100 RBI guy.

i dont think he gets 500 at bats with dusty leading the team anyways. if we can get him cheap, sure keep him, if not look elsewhere

Keep him. Sure he has his drawbacks, but how do you replace his production? There must not be anyone in the minors or they would have been here by now. The Reds spent all off-season and this year trying to fill the offensive void in LF. They weren't willing to give up anything of value in rumored trades. I think Gomes has earned the opportunity to stay, whether it be starting or a role player. Great clubhouse guy and teammate, according to many. Pay the man. We could, and have, made worse decisions.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re-sign him.

Oh. And fire Toothpick.

part of BBN

If the Reds arent going to go out and get a big bat (which I doubt they will), then yeah...bring him back.
    If he gets AB'S and Bruce hits better, then the middle of the lineup would be decent.
    Top of the order will be the problem if it is Taveras : 1 and Janish : 2.

Can anyone post his splits? Can he hit righties?

I'd keep him. At a minimum he's our right handed platoon guy. I'd plan to play him against left handers and sit Bruce or Dickerson.

Splits for Jonny Gomes:

Games:

vs. left 37
    vs. right 79

At Bats

vs. left 82
    vs. right 154

Runs

vs. left 11
    vs. right 22

Hits

vs. left 26
    vs. right 40

Doubles

vs. left 5
    vs. right 6

Triples

vs. left 0
    vs. right 0

Home Runs

vs. left 5
    vs. right 13

RBI

vs. left 17
    vs. right 28

BB

vs. left 7
    vs. right 15

K

vs. left 24
    vs. right 56

SB

vs. left 1
    vs. right 2

CS

vs. left 0
    vs. right 1

AVG

vs. left .317
    vs. right .260

OBP

vs. left .385
    vs. right .333

SLG

vs. left .561
    vs. right .552

OPS

vs. left .946
    vs. right .885

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I dont know. He's been solid for sure, but do teams that depend on Johnny Gomes as an every day player for more then 1 year ever do anything? Shouldn't we aspire for more then Johnny Gomes? I'd say the odds of him repeating this year's success are long odds next year. I'd rather go with a young guy if he won't come back extremely cheap. And I'd expect him to price himself out of Cincinnati.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

get rid of him lke cantu and then sign willy taveris brother

Gomes would like to stay with Reds

CHICAGO -- Outfielder Jonny Gomes rebooted his career nicely with the Reds this season. But one of many offseason questions that will hover over the team is whether there will be a Gomes 2.0 season in Cincinnati in 2010.

If the Reds offered Gomes salary arbitration this winter, he would be fine with that.

"Sure I'd come back," Gomes said Sunday. "I haven't talked to my agent about it. I'm trying to keep my head down and finish these last 20 games."

Gomes started the season in Triple-A Louisville and was used sparingly when he first reached the Majors. That has made his numbers entering Sunday -- a .276 average with 19 home runs and 48 RBIs -- more remarkable because they came over just 243 at-bats.

"I wanted to get on track and back on the map," Gomes said. "I did have a couple of 20 homer seasons in the big leagues under my belt without a lot of at-bats. The other one where I didn't hit 20, I hit 17. Last year, I didn't have many at-bats.

"It worked out but not exactly ideal. A couple of people had to go down for me to get in there. The opportunity door opened for me, and I stuck my foot in there, and hopefully I turned some non-believers into believers."

Gomes, who made $600,000 in the Majors this season after he signed a Minor League contract to come to Spring Training, would like to get more playing time if he returns to the Reds.

"I think I've earned that opportunity," he said.

This season's numbers are on his side. The right-handed-hitting Gomes, who was knocked for not being as solid vs. righty pitching, has played well vs. right-handers (.255, 14 homers, 31 RBIs) and lefties (.317, five homers, 17 RBIs). He's one of the best clutch guys on the club with a .323 average with runners in scoring position.

"He's worked hard to get where he's back and is probably more appreciative," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "He was a guy left off the World Series roster [by the Rays] last year, and he was trying to make a team this year. He's relatively young, and there's a whole lot left in there -- offensively and defensively."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_mlb

I think Gomes is our best option for LF next year.He has proven to be at the very least a average player out there even if you consider his D below average.He won't cost a ton of money and would almost certainly hit 30 HR next year if given over 400 ABs.The only question I'd have is if he could keep his average up over .250 if he did get that many chances.Either way the Reds don't have a ton of money to spend on a sure thing next year so Gomes is a good risk to take.

Turn Off Ads?