Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Reds All-Time Nine: The Best Single Season Performances in Reds History

Cincinnati Reds All-Time Nine: The Best Single Season Performances in Reds History

MLB.com has a neat little thing going on with all 30 teams, asking fans to pick "the best single-season hitting performances, by position, in [team] history."

Here's the link to vote: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/fan_f...x.jsp?c_id=cin

and here's my top nine single-season hitting performances for the Reds, by position:

1B: Ted Kluszewski, 1954
    2B: Joe Morgan, 1976
    SS: Barry Larkin, 1996
    3B: Tony Perez, 1970
    C: Johnny Bench, 1970
    OF: George Foster, 1977
    OF: Eric Davis, 1987
    OF: Frank Robinson, 1962

I was a bit puzzled with the inclusion of pitchers, but hey, what the heck. I voted for good ol' Red Lucas' performance at the plate in 1930. Can't complain too much about a pitcher hitting .336 with two homers and 19 RBIs.
    Last edited by GoGoWhiteSox; 09-10-2009 at 02:31 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Reds All-Time Nine: The Best Single Season Performances in Reds Histor

My Lineup:
    1 Joe Morgan 2b 1976
    2 Barry Larkin SS 1996
    3 Ted Kluszewski 1b 1954
    4 Eric Davis OF 1987 (The MAN #44)
    5 Johnny Bench C 1970
    6 Adam Dunn OF 2004
    7 Dave Parker OF 1985 (Because he got us some guy named Rijo)
    8 Chris Sabo 3b 1991 (because he was SPUDZ!!!!111)
    9 Don Newcombe 1959
    Last edited by Slyder; 09-10-2009 at 03:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Re: Cincinnati Reds All-Time Nine: The Best Single Season Performances in Reds Histor

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoWhiteSox View Post
    MLB.com has a neat little thing going on with all 30 teams, asking fans to pick "the best single-season hitting performances, by position, in [team] history."

Here's the link to vote: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/fan_f...x.jsp?c_id=cin

and here's my top nine single-season hitting performances for the Reds, by position:

1B: Ted Kluszewski, 1954
    2B: Joe Morgan, 1976
    SS: Barry Larkin, 1996
    3B: Tony Perez, 1970
    C: Johnny Bench, 1970
    OF: George Foster, 1977
    OF: Eric Davis, 1987
    OF: Frank Robinson, 1962

I was a bit puzzled with the inclusion of pitchers, but hey, what the heck. I voted for good ol' Red Lucas' performance at the plate in 1930. Can't complain too much about a pitcher hitting .336 with two homers and 19 RBIs.
    Foster over Rose? I know Foster had a lot of homeruns that year, but the Defense of Rose, the hustle, the OBP and OPS, and the switch-hitting abilities and, of course, the leadoff abilities all serve to have him batting 1st in any REDS' lineup followed, of course, by Morgan and his nearly .500 OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Foster over Rose? I know Foster had a lot of homeruns that year, but the Defense of Rose, the hustle, the OBP and OPS, and the switch-hitting abilities and, of course, the leadoff abilities all serve to have him batting 1st in any REDS' lineup followed, of course, by Morgan and his nearly .500 OBP.
    With the exception of switch-hitting, that's why I have Eric Davis in there.:

Plus, it's hard to ignore 52 home runs.
    Last edited by GoGoWhiteSox; 09-11-2009 at 09:55 AM.

My All-Time Nine is the Record-Holding 9-Game World Series Winning Streak that I'd like to see us get to 10 if we can ever get rid of Dusty Baker and give this team any sort of a chance at a miracle run in 2010. I hope Dusty's blood pressure is so high this Winter that he has to quit baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoWhiteSox View Post
    With the exception of switch-hitting, that's why I have Eric Davis in there.:

Plus, it's hard to ignore 52 home runs.
    Not to mention, he hit .320 that year, drove in 149 runs, 197 hits, and scored 124 runs. I remember that year like it was yesterday. Foster is a must for this list. This was, IMO, the best year by a Reds outfielder ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    Not to mention, he hit .320 that year, drove in 149 runs, 197 hits, and scored 124 runs. I remember that year like it was yesterday. Foster is a must for this list. This was, IMO, the best year by a Reds outfielder ever.
    His defense was even acceptable.

And, we'd have two black bats in the lineup with him and Davis.

It's ridiculous to not have Rose at 3rd Base. All he did at 3rd Base in 1976 was lead the league in hits (215), runs (130), doubles (42), and hit .323/.404/.450/.854 (his .854 OPS was 5th in the NL that season). His 299 Total Bases were 2nd in the National League that season, one ahead of Foster, but 89 less than the total that Foster had in 1977, as you say, probably the single greatest season ever statistically by and Cincinnati Red.

Or, you can take his 1969 Outfield season where he spent 56 games in CF and 101 games in RF while winning a Gold Glove. He also was 1st in Runs Created, 1st in Batting Average (.348), 1st in Runs Scored (120), 1st in Times-on-Base (311), 2nd in Triples (11), 2nd in Singles, had a .428 OBP, 321 Total Bases, 218 Hits, 7th in OPS (.940), and he knocked in 16 Homeruns.

Though Foster's 1977 season still has to be there. Foster is the only Cincinnati RED to lead the league in RBI's 3 consecutive seasons.

Amazingly, Rose's best season, 1969, and Foster's best season, 1977, were both seasons where the REDS did not make the playoffs. Which once again proves that it's not hitting that wins Championships, but Pitching and Defense.

The acquisition of Rolen was dumb, dumb, dumb.

The acquisition of Rolen was dumb, dumb, dumb.
    What are you high or ignorant? You think Edwin is better than Scott? You don't think we need a vet leader in the clubhouse? Not to mention the man is a future HOFer.

WOW

Pete has to be in the outfield:

In 1973, Rose led the league with 230 hits and a .338 batting average en route to winning the NL MVP award, and leading the "Big Red Machine" to the 1973 National League Championship Series against the New York Mets.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    What are you high or ignorant? You think Edwin is better than Scott? You don't think we need a vet leader in the clubhouse? Not to mention the man is a future HOFer.

WOW
    What does future HOF have to do with how he'll perform in 2010 and beyond. How about all those Championships that Junior brought to the REDS? I also could care less about EE. That has nothing to do with it. If it had been a straight swap of EE for Rolen, then that would have been OK....to trade a very poor defensive and young 3rd Baseman for an average defensive way over-the-hill veteran. That would have been OK. The losses of Stewart and Roenicke are unforgivable.

BTW, have you not seen Rolen this season play for the REDS? He's terrible. Get used to it. He'll be older next year.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

OF Cy Seymour in 1905. Maybe one of the best offensive seasons a Red has ever had.

Cy Seymour

Look at his stats compared to the league leaders that year.

1905 Batting Leaders

He led the league in:
    Batting Average: .377, .014 better than Honus Wagner
    Slugging: .559, .054 better than Wagner
    OPS: .988, second best was Wagner at .932
    Hits: 219
    Total Bases: 325
    2B: 40
    3B: 21
    RBI: 121
    XBH: 69

He also was second in:
    OBP: .429
    HR: 8

Basically he was one HR away from a Triple Crown. Outstanding season.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    OF Cy Seymour in 1905. Maybe one of the best offensive seasons a Red has ever had.

Cy Seymour

Look at his stats compared to the league leaders that year.

1905 Batting Leaders

He led the league in:
    Batting Average: .377, .014 better than Honus Wagner
    Slugging: .559, .054 better than Wagner
    OPS: .988, second best was Wagner at .932
    Hits: 219
    Total Bases: 325
    2B: 40
    3B: 21
    RBI: 121
    XBH: 69

He also was second in:
    OBP: .429
    HR: 8

Basically he was one HR away from a Triple Crown. Outstanding season.

That would kick out Eric Davis, I guess.

BTW, have you not seen Rolen this season play for the REDS? He's terrible. Get used to it. He'll be older next year.
    again, WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    again, WOW!
    I want to post your answer to this question 13 months from now:

What will Rolen's OPS be for 2010?

A. Above .850?

B. Between .820-.850?

C. Closer to .790-.820?

D. Dormantly at .760-.790?

E. Expectedly between .730-.760?

F. Frighteningly below .730?

That's just his Offense. He's already lost 30% of his range defensively the last two seasons.

Put your money where your mouth is.

My answer is E.

Turn Off Ads?