Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
I guess the rub here is that I don't see any higher potential kids that Wells would be bumping off the roster. Lecure? Watson? Sore armed Thompson? Dead-wing Dallas Buck? Wells month in Cincy counts for more than any of those guys have done in their minor league career. He's not going to be bumping Wood, Ondrusek, Viola, Ramirez or even Maloney, but I'd keep him over those other guys.

I agree that the GM should be working out a deal similar to the one they signed with Corey Patterson where Wells signs a minor league deal to create a spot but is promised a higher major league salary should he win a spot. But the Reds would probably end up paying more in that scenario than just keeping him on the 40 and negotiating with him. Not sure its worth it to a cash strapped team to bump the pay a little just to protect some of these "ham and eggers" everyone is worried about.

22 Pitchers
Aaron Harang
Bronson Arroyo
Edinson Volquez
Homer Bailey
Johnny Cueto
Ramon Ramirez
Francisco Cordero
Jared Burton
Nick Masset
Logan Ondrusek
Bill Bray
Danny Rae Herrera
Carlos Fisher
Micah Owings
Arthur Lee Rhodes
Matt Maloney
Enerio Del Rosario
Travis Wood
Pedro Viola
Phil Valiquette
Jordan Smith
Kip Wells

2 Catchers
Ryan Hanigan
Chris Denove

8 IF
Chris Valaika
Adam Rosales
Drew Sutton
Joey Votto
Brandon Phillips
Scott Rolen
Yonder Alonso
Paul Janish

8 OF
Chris Heisey
Juan Francisco
Drew Stubbs
Wladimir Balentien
Danny Dorn
Jay Bruce
Chris Dickerson
Johnny Gomes

This would mean that the Reds would DFA Taveras, Lincoln, Nix, Richar, Castillo, McDonald, Lecure, Miller, Thompson, Tatum, Lehr and Barker. While leaving Watson, Medina, Lutz and Henry unprotected. I'm guessing they won't do that. It would also leave Kris Negron unprotected and they may want to protect him since he was just acquired for Gonzalez. It would also not consider whoever is acquired in the Weathers deal. My next two drops would be difficult, but I'd consider dropping Bray and Viola. Maybe Dorn if he isn't going to get a shot. I'm sure the Reds list will look a lot different than mine.
This one time where to me the ? would be worth more than very low quality career journeyman. Theres ALWAYS guys Wells out there and the team needs to be proactive rather than allowing a couple months of "league average" starts blind them. At Wells point in his career you dont magically get better. He's got a 4.84 ERA this year very easily return to his career norms which since 2004 has been well over 5. I just dont see value in that when we could possibly save a live arm. If he is willing to sign for 2010 on an MLC with an invite to spring training fine (you open up the spot by putting Volquez on the 60 day dl).