Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cozart is now a Bat!

Re: Cozart is now a Bat!

2011? Perhaps.

Cozart needs to continue hitting with some power and continue to play well defensively. I don't think he'll be ready in 2010, though stranger things have happened. He did handle to big move from Low A to AA well.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Is Cozart a good enough option for 2011 that we'd be better off living with Janish for a year (or possibly part of one) than entering into the market for a SS?
    Yes. The SS market in 2010 is ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes. The SS market in 2010 is ugly.
    I agree. Hardy will be sought after by a bunch of clubs and I don't want to overpay for him. I suspect we'll see a lot of Janish in 2010 unless the Phillips to SS experiment is tried with somebody else at 2b. Hopefully Cozart can at least match this years's numbers at AAA and take the job in Cinti. One thing that concerns me is the drop off in Cozart's numbers during the second half this year.

He's going to the AFL right?

That should be huge for his stock if he does well there. A strong showing, barring an acquisition and he could challenge Janish for the job.
    Suck it up cupcake.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He's going to the AFL right?

That should be huge for his stock if he does well there. A strong showing, barring an acquisition and he could challenge Janish for the job.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Just my opinion, but I don't think Cozart will be ready to compete with Janish in 2010. I am not sure if he projects as an everyday player at the big league level. There was a lot of support to move Cozart to Louisville as early as the first of May. I think he showed that he needed a full year in Double-A and he probably needs a full year in Triple-A in 2010. Look at Valaika. I think with a guy like Cozart, it is easy to fall into the trap of wanting to move him up because we need a player at that position and we HOPE he is the guy rather than dealing with where he really is in terms of development. There are a lot of guys in the system that fans want moved up because they HOPE he is ready for the challenge when the guys who see him play every day realize he needs to stay where he is. A good example of that this year in Dayton was Cody Puckett. That is not meant as any disrespect to any fans. It is just human nature. The back-up quarterback is always the most popular player on the team because fans hope he is better than the guy playing.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Just my opinion, but I don't think Cozart will be ready to compete with Janish in 2010. I am not sure if he projects as an everyday player at the big league level. There was a lot of support to move Cozart to Louisville as early as the first of May. I think he showed that he needed a full year in Double-A and he probably needs a full year in Triple-A in 2010. Look at Valaika. I think with a guy like Cozart, it is easy to fall into the trap of wanting to move him up because we need a player at that position and we HOPE he is the guy rather than dealing with where he really is in terms of development. There are a lot of guys in the system that fans want moved up because they HOPE he is ready for the challenge when the guys who see him play every day realize he needs to stay where he is. A good example of that this year in Dayton was Cody Puckett. That is not meant as any disrespect to any fans. It is just human nature. The back-up quarterback is always the most popular player on the team because fans hope he is better than the guy playing.
    Very well stated. As an average fan I have failed to appreciate the additional challenges that each new level presents. The current management deserves credit for their patience in allowing players to develop. Promoting players before they are ready doesn't help the ML team win, starts the clock on ML service, and incurs the risk of ultimately becoming another ML team's farm team for that player. I doubt if any of the AAA position players that finished the season in Louisville will make the Reds out of spring training. More than likely, some will arrive after mid-season.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I doubt if any of the AAA position players that finished the season in Louisville will make the Reds out of spring training. More than likely, some will arrive after mid-season.
    Given that 90% of that Louisville roster would have likely been in AA if not for the large number of injuries, you're probably right. Dorn and possibly Heisey might be the exceptions. Francisco might too nut I think it would be rushing him.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Louisville is going to be unstoppable next year.

C Denove
    1B Alonso
    2B Valaika
    3B Frazier
    SS Cozart
    LF Francisco
    CF Heisey
    RF Dickerson

SP Maloney
    SP Wood
    SP LeCure
    SP Klinker
    SP Thompson
    SP Cochran
    RP Viola
    RP Krebs
    RP Tabor
    RP Del Rosario
    RP Ondrusek
    RP Watson
    RP Ramirez
    RP Jukich

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Louisville is going to be unstoppable next year.

C Denove
    1B Alonso
    2B Valaika
    3B Frazier
    SS Cozart
    LF Francisco
    CF Heisey
    RF Dickerson

SP Maloney
    SP Wood
    SP LeCure
    SP Klinker
    SP Thompson
    SP Cochran
    RP Viola
    RP Krebs
    RP Tabor
    RP Del Rosario
    RP Ondrusek
    RP Watson
    RP Ramirez
    RP Jukich
    Dickerson will be on the Reds, maybe Ramirez too. Cochran is likely gone and who knows about Thompson. But, I agree with your point, more young players with major league futures at AAA than at any time since the crown jewels. No real top guys though except maybe Alonso. Francisco has potential.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Dickerson, Maloney and Viola are all likely with the Reds for extended periods in 2010. Frazier better be at 3B, as all the 2B talk is just silly with both Valaika and Cozart at AAA.

Francisco will get another cup of coffee in September, if not sooner before likely having the fulltime LF job in 2011.

The question is, considering how little development Alonso has had, should he start at AAA, or should the AAA 1B be Danny Dorn?
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?