Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dick Vitale: Good Person

Dick Vitale: Good Person

Vitale to pay for slain teenager's funeral arrangements

By Eamonn Brennan

Sure, he's an annoyingly boisterous basketball analyst whose prime has probably passed. Sure, at this point, he makes college basketball a little less entertaining for me. But so what? Those are minor concerns compared to important real-world stuff, and where the important real-world stuff happens, Dick Vitale is as good a man as there is in sports.
    No specific examples are really needed; it sort of just shines through in his work on ESPN. You can tell the guy has a big heart. But then there are times like this, when Vitale doesn't just give off the impression -- he carries it out to its logical extreme.
    The story is as follows: Jazmine Thompson, a Bayshore High School student in Bradenton, Fla., was driving late at night with a couple of friends when 18-year-old Daniel Floyd Williams allegedly strode up to their car, asked the group of girls for sex, was turned down, walked away, and turned and fired on the car. Thompson was fatally wounded. Her plan, according to family and friends, was to attend college and become an attorney.
    Without knowing the family personally, Vitale inquired with the girl's mother, Raechelle James, to see if the family needed anything.
    James recently lost her job and has no insurance. She wasn't sure how she was going to pay for her daughter's funeral arrangements -- which, on top of everything else, I mean ... can you imagine? So Vitale has offered to help with the funeral expenses, and is hoping to establish scholarship fund in Thompson's and another recently slain Bayshore graduate's names.
    "I didn't know Jazmine. I just know what I read, and it tears my heart out," Vitale said. "There's no way there should be a funeral for that young girl this weekend. She did nothing wrong. She was minding her own business. From everything I've heard and read, this was a wonderful young girl with a bright future and she deserves to be remembered in the best possible way,'' Vitale said.
    Thanks to Dick Vitale, nothing more than a Good Samaritan with a copy of his local newspaper and a high profile, that might happen. If me having to sit through each overloud Vitale broadcast last year meant giving him the power to do this, I mean, sheesh. Can I ever complain again? Basketball commentary is small potatoes. This is the real stuff.

I know a lot of people find him annoying, but what a great gesture from Mr. Vitale.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dick Vitale: Good Person

He seems to be a lot like George Grande. Annoying as an announcer but a great guy.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I love Dick Vitale the man. What a goodhearted person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

He is a great guy and I can tell you that his favorite coach is just as much a great guy. I have a similar story involving Coach K and one of my best friends who died of cancer, except that story never showed up in the media.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I've thought highly of Dick Vitale since I attended a lecture he gave at Syracuse while I was in grad school there. He didn't blow his own horn about doing things like this, but it was clear that he was a great human being.

I like Dick Vitale's passion for college basketball. He is an honest man who really cares about the people he associates him self with. He can get annoying on the broadcast and often I don't watch games when he calls a Duke or UNC game.

That said, the man has used his position in a manner I wish every celebrity would. The amount of money he has raised to fight cancer is absolutely amazing. IMO The Jimmy V fund would not be where it is today without Dick Vitale. Granted he is the cheerleader, and he has the backing of ESPN, but cancer is getting its ass kicked by the research Dick Vitale helps support.

Every year, I think it is during the MLB all star break, ESPN Radio has a fund raiser for Jimmy V. The stuff that is donated is pretty cool, but the amount of money it brings in is just staggering.

nice to see people get involved. My wife and I recently brought a 14 old foster daughter into our home. I didn't do it for a pat on the back or for any reasons other than than these two
    1) If you are a follower of Christ at some point real compassion has to motivate you to action
    2) We wanted to have a positive impact on a young persons life besides our 19 year old daughter.

Just talking about things or feeling sympathy at some point doesn't cut it, we have to get involved.

My encouragement to anyone would be to consider ways you can get involved and positively impact the lives of young people (especially teenagers). It may not be easy but I believe it is worthwhile.

BTW, the currency of the post modern society is time.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Just never mind.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 09-11-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Good work on his part.

I also hope they have the guy that shot the girl in custody right now and they throw everything they can at him. That's one of the more disgusting things I've ever read.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Turn Off Ads?