Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL Season Opener (Yawn)

Re: NFL Season Opener (Yawn)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Then it's not sudden death, is it?
    It would be after each team had one possession. Assuming that the game wasn't decided at that point.

This way, after the Steelers scored last night to make it 13-10, the Titans would've had a possession that would've resulted in a loss, another tie, or a win. If it was 13-13 after their possession, the game would go to sudden death overtime. At least each team gets a shot.

I don't like the current setup, and I can't stand college OT.
    Last edited by NJReds; 09-11-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    It would be after each team had one possession. Assuming that the game wasn't decided at that point.

This way, after the Steelers scored last night to make it 13-10, the Titans would've had a possession that would've resulted in a loss, another tie, or a win. If it was 13-13 after their possession, the game would go to sudden death overtime. At least each team gets a shot.

I don't like the current setup, and I can't stand college OT.

But if each team originally has a shot, it's not sudden death. It's lingering death. The Competition Committee has decided they like the status quo. Personally, I think they like it because of the name: Sudden Death.

A game like this is the exception, not the rule. I don't think there's anything wrong with Sudden Death. If you want to make it more fair, have them play 10 more minutes. If no one scores, call it a tie. But it's still not Sudden Death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

On the brink of disaster

I guess I don't mind the sudden death scenario too much, but I think it would be enhanced by not allowing a FG to win it. If the team that wins the toss scores a TD on their first drive then they deserve to win. A FG on 1st down to win the game that went into overtime just seems a little weak to me.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    I guess I don't mind the sudden death scenario too much, but I think it would be enhanced by not allowing a FG to win it. If the team that wins the toss scores a TD on their first drive then they deserve to win. A FG on 1st down to win the game that went into overtime just seems a little weak to me.
    In general, FGs are too easy in the NFL. Virtually every kick inside 30 yards is a gimmee (looking at 2008, a grand total of 5 kicks inside 30 years were missed for the entire season), and no kicker missed more than 3 attempts in the 30-39 yard range last year either.

The competition committee needs to look at moving the goalposts closer together, moving the goals themselves further back, or changing the rules on how FGs are kicked to try and balance things out. It shouldn't be an automatic three points once an offense crosses the 30 yard line.

In general, I dislike how important kicking has become in the NFL. It's a specialized skill completely removed from just about every other aspect of professional football. Settling games by FGs is the functional equivalent of ending an extra-inning baseball game by having the two catchers get into a "pitch in the dirt" blocking contest.

Ideally, I'd like to see FGs become significantly more difficult (no kicker should sport a FG% north of 70%) and I'd like to see the PAT eliminated entirely.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 09-11-2009 at 04:00 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

After 3-3-1/2 hours, and the game is still not settled, Sudden Death is fine by me. Get it over and move on. The resistance to tie games as if it is immoral is befuddling.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

wow, after all the horrific baseball we have watched this year, you would think people would be a little more appreciative of the nfl opener last nite....I thought it was a great "smash mouth" football game...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    wow, after all the horrific baseball we have watched this year, you would think people would be a little more appreciative of the nfl opener last nite....I thought it was a great "smash mouth" football game...

It was.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Great game IMO. No yawning for me.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Well, the good thing is, those who enjoyed it will get to do so all year.

Lots of these type of games coming your way in Steel town.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    I liked the game just hated the coverage of it by the announcing team. Lots of Steeler love from Collinsworth and Michaels.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Well, the good thing is, those who enjoyed it will get to do so all year.

Lots of these type of games coming your way in Steel town.
    I'll take 18 more just like it.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?