Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Simmons on the Bengals

Simmons on the Bengals

I thought it was funny

15. Cincy spent a top-6 pick on an offensive lineman whose breasts jiggled so profanely at the draft combine that it triggered childhood memories of the "Three's Company" producers figuring out convoluted reasons for Chrissy Snow to jump up and down, followed by my trying to throw hydrogen peroxide in my own eyes to unsee the clip. Needless to say, he held out for most of training camp, then broke a bone in his foot two days after reporting. The lesson, as always: There's a reason the Bengals are the Bengals.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    On the brink of disaster

Re: Simmons on the Bengals

It's sad, but there are no winners when players hold out for so long. Alvin Keels had no idea what he was getting himself into. The Brown family does things one way and does not waiver from their position. The Bengals badly needed to draft O-line help, but they also needed the player to be ready for the season. I didn't care for the pick because of the character and weight problems that Andre has shown. When he switched agents it was pretty obvious this would be a bad pick. He may turn out to be a pro bowl player and all, but the NFL goes season by season and he'll probably miss this one completely.

It's just a sad situation, but not surprising for Bengals fans.

Boomer Esiason does a morning sports talk show here in NY.

They were talking about Andre Smith's infamous workout video. Boomer said that when he first witnessed the video of Smith's workout (before the draft), his first thought was: "He's going to be drafted by the Bengals."
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Nice humor, very little to do with whether Smith will be a good NFL lineman. Gee, offensive lineman are fat and have boobs, who knew

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    It's sad, but there are no winners when players hold out for so long. Alvin Keels had no idea what he was getting himself into. The Brown family does things one way and does not waiver from their position. The Bengals badly needed to draft O-line help, but they also needed the player to be ready for the season. I didn't care for the pick because of the character and weight problems that Andre has shown. When he switched agents it was pretty obvious this would be a bad pick. He may turn out to be a pro bowl player and all, but the NFL goes season by season and he'll probably miss this one completely.

It's just a sad situation, but not surprising for Bengals fans.
    I would have much rather had Eugene Monroe. Andre Smith would have made sense if they would have kept Levi Jones, but instead they are making the O-line worse even with Smith in fold.

I look for Andre Smith to go the way of another Smith who played for the Bengals by the name of Akili. Has the talent, just never put it together.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Although I would've preferred Monroe, I've always supported the Smith pick. However, as time goes on, I get more and more disappointed that the Bengals didn't go with Monroe, regardless of hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I would have much rather had Eugene Monroe. Andre Smith would have made sense if they would have kept Levi Jones, but instead they are making the O-line worse even with Smith in fold.

I look for Andre Smith to go the way of another Smith who played for the Bengals by the name of Akili. Has the talent, just never put it together.
    I'd say the similarities end with their last name. Much higher rate of QB busts than OL busts by the very nature of the position. I have seen Smith play very little, but he was at one point a potential #1 pick in the draft. I'm not sure why man boobs and some immaturity in agent hiring gets him an Akili comparison.

Andre Smith is the only fat guy with the stones to run with his shirt off. I give him props!

On the brink of disaster

Let me clarify my statement about his weight concerns. I don't think him running with his shirt off is the problem. He's struggled with his weight off and on, then he came into training camp at something like 25-30 pounds overweight. I just hope he's devotes himself to earning that big paycheck he is being given.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I have seen Smith play very little, but he was at one point a potential #1 pick in the draft. I'm not sure why man boobs and some immaturity in agent hiring gets him an Akili comparison.
    Well, imagine if you're looking to hire someone for your company, at a very important position, and he shows up to the interview completely unprepared. Same principle here. The combine and related workouts are a huge deal, to the point where many highly-rated players drop out of school so they'll be as prepared as possible, so when a guy shows up fat and out of shape it calls his commitment and work ethic into question. The NFL's a tough place for guys with those kinds of issues.

Doesn't mean Smith is doomed to be a bust, but he has to understand what it takes to play at that level.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?