Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serena Williams berates official, loses match for conduct violation

Re: Serena Williams berates official, loses match for conduct violation

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm curious to hear you say that Roy? Both Williams sister's have been at times indelicate in praising the opposition, but I've never heard anything to make me thing they are mean or hard to get along with.
    Just a selfish little snit on my part.

My daughter is a cashier at the Whole Foods here in Deerfield Twp. Whenever they have the ATP here in Mason, all the players stay at the Marriott just down the road. A lot of them come into Whole Foods to get water, drinks, food, etc etc etc.

Jen has seen a lot of the ATP tennis pros (stars and some not-so stars), pro golfers, and various pro athletes (Bengals, Reds) come through her line. So she's not bedazzled by stars in any way. Serena Williams (and handler) came through her line a couple weeks ago. Jen said she was the rudest person she'd ever encountered, bar none.

Just a data point of one. But it was my daughter so my papa bear instincts arise with a great roar.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The pointing gesture she kept making with the racket toward the line judge certainly looked threatening. Regardless of what she threatened, I can't imagine that threatening an official in any sport is a good strategy.

I too got a kick out of John McEnroe's comments. He also did point out that it was a little nit-picky to call a questionable foot fault at a critical point in a match. Kinda equivalent to when the officials in basketball "let them play" in the last minute of a tight basketball game.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

I got a little kick out of the standard "I just want to win so badly" spin that Serena first went with. I suppose we can infer that if you don't go into a profanity-laced tirade when a big point goes against you that you really don't want to win that badly. You probably shouldn't even be out there with your loser 'good sportsmanship' mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I don't how professional tennis governed but she should be suspended from play for a good long time after that outburst. Anytime you threaten an official like she did you don't deserve to play for a looooong time.

Problem with that is that she's a big draw. She's been fined and she was penalized in the match and lost the U.S. Open match as a result. She's the subject of ridicule from coast to coast and may lose endorsements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Problem with that is that she's a big draw. She's been fined and she was penalized in the match and lost the U.S. Open match as a result. She's the subject of ridicule from coast to coast and may lose endorsements.
    I really don't think she is crucial - unlike golf or other individual sports there are a number of elite players and you can have an excellent match and tournament with or without the Williams sisters. They certainly bring the media spotlight but I think they are not as crucial to obtaining a draw than others.

That brings up a big issue, because it was also discussed in a baseball game recently - is there any situation where one should bend the rules or selectively apply the rules given where the game is?

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I really don't think she is crucial - unlike golf or other individual sports there are a number of elite players and you can have an excellent match and tournament with or without the Williams sisters. They certainly bring the media spotlight but I think they are not as crucial to obtaining a draw than others.

That brings up a big issue, because it was also discussed in a baseball game recently - is there any situation where one should bend the rules or selectively apply the rules given where the game is?

Perhaps not but when the Western & Southern Open was here a few weeks ago, they had billboards of Serena around town promoting the tournament. Her presence alone may make the difference between the tournament making or losing money.

I think suspending her may be a bit much.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

She is very important for women's tennis in America. Maybe not world wide, but Americans like to root for Americans.

I have never played competitive tennis but have played quite a bit with my friends. What I just don't understand about the foot fault thing, is it either was a foot fault or it wasn't. If the judge, who had the best angle in the house, called it a foot fault, then Serena broke the rules and was penalized. Her outburst was uncalled for and she should be penalized for doing so. It was unprofessional and immature, just another reason for me to root against Serena.

Ahh....personalities...you either love them or you hate them. At least with the women, there are a few personalities and at least Americans have a shot at some majors. The men are boring, no personalities, and really very little chance to win majors. Nadal is somewhat entertaining but other than that...pfft...I'm not condoning what she said, but still, it was entertaining and that will get people to watch. The Williams' sisters and their drama are a huge draw.

Anybody remember when McEnroe looked at the line judge, who was bald, and yelled "Grow some hair!" Awesome! Or Jimmy Connors holding his nose to infer that the chair judge stunk and then the rhetoric afterwards as to how he was just scratching his nose...Awesome again!

Bum

"Yo Serena. I'm really happy for ya, and I'm a let you finish but John MacEnroe had some of the best tennis freakouts of all time."

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    She is very important for women's tennis in America. Maybe not world wide, but Americans like to root for Americans.

I have never played competitive tennis but have played quite a bit with my friends. What I just don't understand about the foot fault thing, is it either was a foot fault or it wasn't. If the judge, who had the best angle in the house, called it a foot fault, then Serena broke the rules and was penalized. Her outburst was uncalled for and she should be penalized for doing so. It was unprofessional and immature, just another reason for me to root against Serena.
    The issue with the foot fault rule is that its one of those faults which most players believe is kind of on the soft side. That is the advantage gained by a foot fault which is not blatant (ie she didn't serve from a couple of metres inside the baseline) especially at the particular point in the match is not material. However, there is the view that the rules are the rules and should be applied regardless.

Similar issue was discussed in a recent game where the commentators were discussed whether umpires should or would extend the strike zone at the end of a game where a team was clearly winning.

The issue with the foot fault rule is that its one of those faults which most players believe is kind of on the soft side. That is the advantage gained by a foot fault which is not blatant (ie she didn't serve from a couple of metres inside the baseline) especially at the particular point in the match is not material. However, there is the view that the rules are the rules and should be applied regardless.

Similar issue was discussed in a recent game where the commentators were discussed whether umpires should or would extend the strike zone at the end of a game where a team was clearly winning.
    I understand you here. I realize that there is very little to gain by stepping on the end line during a serve. But on the other hand, if a ball hits very close to the end line, it matters if it touches the line, or doesn't.

I guess the question I have is if you step on the end line, it is a foot fault, and lost of point. Why not make sure that you are an inch or so behind the line. When I play golf, I do not set my club down right behind the ball. I usually give it an inch or so just so I don't touch the ball and incur a penalty. It really is rather simple, and not a big deal, but a rule is a rule.

Totally agree - a rule is a rule which is why McEnroe was wrong here (in addition to many other instances). Many players who get called will usually serve a little behind the line. One who got called was Stefan Edberg and when he lined up to serve his front foot was actually a couple of centimetres behind the line (but it was usually his backfoot that got called).

I can't seem to grasp why this story has such legs. It's gone well beyond Sportscenter.

Serena Williams is famous because of how she plays tennis and she will continue to be famous as long as she continues to play good tennis. She is not world renown for her class or manners. This isn't like the Queen of England said these things.

She is a wonderful tennis player and that's it. Don't expect her to be more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can't seem to grasp why this story has such legs. It's gone well beyond Sportscenter.

Serena Williams is famous because of how she plays tennis and she will continue to be famous as long as she continues to play good tennis. She is not world renown for her class or manners. This isn't like the Queen of England said these things.

She is a wonderful tennis player and that's it. Don't expect her to be more than that.
    Because, occasionally, people like to spend time on "the loss of manners in society". So, currently they're looking at Serena Williams, Kanye West, Joe Wilson, and MJ. Why else is the Kanye West thread at 130 posts and counting? Because a guy, that's known for stuff like this, essentially took a "moment" away from a teenage girl. Throw in race and the typical conspiracy theory and people will eat that kind of stuff up. The difference between the Serena Williams incident and the other incidents is that Williams, a world class athlete, was verbally threatening to someone that is older, smaller, and who took the threat seriously.

Personally, I think this was just another, somewhat entertaining, public meltdown by a public figure. She was frustrated by a questionable call but she was minutes away from losing the match anyway. So far, the only thing that this resulted in was she lost $10,500 which, to athletes like her, doesn't mean much. There's still a chance of further penalties (forfeiture of prize money and/or suspension) but apparently that could take several weeks to decide.

Turn Off Ads?