Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame Induction Speech

Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame Induction Speech

First the speech for those who haven't seen it...

Part 1:
    [youtube]z2jMzudeX1E[/youtube]

Part 2:
    [youtube]c57Lp9ol6tQ[/youtube]

Part 3:
    [youtube]1WNE5u1Mf-w[/youtube]

One writer's take on the speech:

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The tears tumbled, flooding his face and Michael Jordan had yet to march to the microphone at Symphony Hall. He had listened to the genuine stories and speeches of a remarkable class. He had watched a “This is Your Life” video compilation of his basketball genius. Everything flashed before him, a legacy that he’s fought with body and soul to never, ever let go into yesterday.

Yes, Michael Jordan was still fighting it on Friday night, and maybe he always will. Mostly, he was crying over the passing of that old Jordan, and it wouldn’t be long until he climbed out of his suit and back into his uniform and shorts, back into an adolescent act that’s turned so tedious.

This wasn’t a Hall of Fame induction speech, but a bully tripping nerds with lunch trays in the school cafeteria. He had a responsibility to his standing in history, to players past and present, and he let everyone down. This was a night to leave behind the petty grievances and past slights – real and imagined. This was a night to be gracious, to be generous with praise and credit.
    Read the rest of the article here: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

I'll admit that I had some of the same thoughts of the author as I watched his speech. It's too bad that he spent his HoF induction speech bringing up petty stuff that shouldn't be anywhere in the discussion when it comes to MJ talking about his career.

Just a very odd speech. It really shows where his mind is at when he contemplates his career.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame Induction Speech

Well it was certainly odd, but I also think it was incredibly honest. Whether they admit it or not I think most great athletes think like Jordan. I've read where Jordan had said that sometimes he would embellish in his mind things that opponents did or said to fire himself up. It's kinda like Tiger Woods and the Stephen Ames thing a few years ago, what Stephen said wasn't really that bad, but in Tiger's mind he might as well have said "Only sissies and old men drive Buicks."

I loved John Stockton's face when Jordan told the Bryon Russell story. And Russell must have thought that Jordan was never coming back, either that or he's a complete moron. Of course the way Jordan's mind works Russell probably said something like "Sorry, to hear about your Father. I wish I would have gotten the opportunity to play on the same court as you. It would have been an honor."
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Why is he trying to 'fire himself up' during his Hall of Fame induction speech?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Why is he trying to 'fire himself up' during his Hall of Fame induction speech?
    Like I said, it was odd. And a lot of it was uncomfortable to listen to, I almost felt embarrassed for him. He probably can't shut it off, it's just who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Like I said, it was odd. And a lot of it was uncomfortable to listen to, I almost felt embarrassed for him. He probably can't shut it off, it's just who he is.
    I agree. It's just particularly amazing considering how meticulous he was with his image throughout his playing days.

Jordan is just not a very good guy and this speech proves it IMO.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I was going to start a thread about this right after I watched it. There were some uncomfortable moments in the speech where I bet everyone in the room wished they could get up and leave. It seemed almost bitter at times, even immature. But there was no doubt he had no intentions of saying any of that stuff, it just came out. It's clear he's still not over some of the personal drama that occurred when he was in the league and he still exempts himself from any blame.

It was the first time I've ever seen MJ like this. He's always been so great at being polished in themedia and handling himself incredibly well in interviews. This was probably closer to the real guy, which isn't all bad. It was disappointing though. I guarantee you MJ will be regretting that speech for as long as he lives and it will become a part of what's discussed when his legacy is.

I LOVED John Stockton as a player and loved his speech. The fact that that guy is in the basketball hall of fame is still amazing to me. What a fierce competitor. He'd be my point guard if I were putting a team together.

And I don't think there's ever been a classier athlete than David Robinson. What an amazing human being. If there's ever a person a young child should aspire to, it's him. Too bad he was never that guy that was in the limelight much.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I was going to start a thread about this right after I watched it. There were some uncomfortable moments in the speech where I bet everyone in the room wished they could get up and leave. It seemed almost bitter at times, even immature. But there was no doubt he had no intentions of saying any of that stuff, it just came out. It's clear he's still not over some of the personal drama that occurred when he was in the league and he still exempts himself from any blame.

It was the first time I've ever seen MJ like this. He's always been so great at being polished in themedia and handling himself incredibly well in interviews. This was probably closer to the real guy, which isn't all bad. It was disappointing though. I guarantee you MJ will be regretting that speech for as long as he lives and it will become a part of what's discussed when his legacy is.

I LOVED John Stockton as a player and loved his speech. The fact that that guy is in the basketball hall of fame is still amazing to me. What a fierce competitor. He'd be my point guard if I were putting a team together.

And I don't think there's ever been a classier athlete than David Robinson. What an amazing human being. If there's ever a person a young child should aspire to, it's him. Too bad he was never that guy that was in the limelight much
    Completely agree with all of this.

I didn't see anything wrong with MJ's speech. I cracked up a little at how he kinda poked fun at certain players.

He was a basketball player. A legend. He's not a public speaker, and he's probably a jack@ss in real life, but on the court, he was tremendous, and that's what the brunt of the focus should be on. People break these things down WAYYY to much. A major problem with this 24/7 sports media. He's not going to say the perfect things, because speaking in front of the public isn't what he did for a living (other than postgame interviews and press conferences--but this was a WHOLE different setting)

I guess Bryon Russel has challenged MJ to fly to Cali and play him 1 on 1....

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I guess Bryon Russel has challenged MJ to fly to Cali and play him 1 on 1....
    Should be a good matchup....as long as BOTH players are allowed to flagrantly shove off to get free for their shots.

Considering Bryon's been retired since 05-06, I'd say there is no doubt that Jordan would still own him.

Turn Off Ads?