Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Jim Tressel be fired at the end of 2009?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 16.98%
  • No

88 83.02%
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Jim Tressel Be Fired at the end of 2009?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Should Jim Tressel Be Fired at the end of 2009?

At some point, do you have to hold Jim Tressel accountable for continually struggling to win big-time matchups? This will be the 5th consecutive year that Tressel's OSU team has lost to a Top-3 team:

2009: Lost to #3 USC
    2008: Lost to #1 USC, Lost to #3 Penn State, Lost to #3 Texas
    2007: Lost to #2 LSU (National Title Game)
    2006: Lost to #2 Florida (National Title Game)
    2005: Lost to #2 Texas, Lost to #18 Penn State

With each passing year, 2002 gets further in the rear-view mirror. Assuming this loss effectively derails OSU's national title hopes for 2009 (which may or may not be the case), should Jim Tressel be fired at the end of 2009? Is it time for new blood to take over in Columbus?
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 09-13-2009 at 02:45 AM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should Jim Tressel Be Fired at the end of 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    At some point, do you have to hold Jim Tressell accountable for continually struggling to win big-time matchups? This will be the 5th consecutive year that Tressel's OSU team has lost to a Top-3 team:

With each passing year, 2002 gets further in the rear-view mirror. Assuming this loss effectively derails OSU's national title hopes for 2009 (which may or may not be the case), should Jim Tressell be fired at the end of 2009? Is it time for new blood to take over in Columbus?
    I hate to think of firing someone that wins close to 80 percent of their games. But Tresselball certainly is a broken methodology. I have come to loathe the willingness to simply punt and play defense. No matter how good your defense is, if you are not aggressive offensively, sooner or later the defense simply cannot continue to play at that level. It's happened so many times over the past five years I've lost count.

I liken his philosophy to driving in snow. It's said when hitting an ice patch, you tap the breaks and let off the gas. Don't overcompensate. Tressel approaches his offense as an overly-defensive driver. With every ice patch, he slams on the breaks and if he makes it through without ending up in a ditch, he slows down to a snail's speed.

Ohio State loses these games because he puts his team in a position they can't win games, but rather hope to not lose. It's cliche but it's the truth.

Would I fire him? I'd have a hard time pulling that trigger. But if I'm in the AD, I think I almost demand he hire a real, bonafide offensive coordinator from outside the program and ensure Tressel is willing to give him the reigns to the offense.

Too many talented players in that program, even on the offensive side of the ball, to play defensive offense. Attack. Try to score points. Instead of sitting on 5, 7 and 14-point leads... try to put the game out of reach.

And as far as 2002: with more and more samples of Tresselball, it's becoming clear that 2002 was exactly what its detractors claimed it was: a whole lot of luck and good fortune. It was a good team, but it truly was an outlier to the best methods of success. That team should not have been 14-0 in hindsight, taking nothing away from the fact they did win the games luck or not.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Shouldn't be any question here although considering the timing of the poll I imagine there will be a few yes votes.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

What's his record against Michigan? Oh wait, I'm pleased...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What's his record against Michigan? Oh wait, I'm pleased...
    If Rich Rodriguez is ever given enough time (and I don't believe he will), that could very well change too.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Change it "fired as offensive coordinator and playcaller" and I vote yes. He is a great head coach. Leave the offense to someone else and they would take it to a new level.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Change it "fired as offensive coordinator and playcaller" and I vote yes. He is a great head coach. Leave the offense to someone else and they would take it to a new level.
    This. He is a master recruiter and motivator. He is a terrible playcaller. No way, no how do you fire someone with his track record.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Bingo!

Fire him though? Ridiculous.

The guy has won the Big 10, or had a co-share, in 2002 (along with a NC), 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008. He's 4-4 in Bowl games. Tressel became the first Ohio State coach to beat Michigan six times in seven years. Last year, the Buckeyes appeared in a BCS bowl game for the fourth-straight year and the sixth time under head coach Jim Tressel. And his overall record is 85-21.

Yeah.... lets fire the guy at season's end. :
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    At some point, do you have to hold Jim Tressel accountable for continually struggling to win big-time matchups? This will be the 5th consecutive year that Tressel's OSU team has lost to a Top-3 team:

With each passing year, 2002 gets further in the rear-view mirror. Assuming this loss effectively derails OSU's national title hopes for 2009 (which may or may not be the case), should Jim Tressel be fired at the end of 2009? Is it time for new blood to take over in Columbus?
    IMO, this poll should be something like: Should the statute built from Tressel in the middle of downtown Columbus be made of (a) gold or (b) bronze?

You can't fire a coach because his teams sometimes lose against top 5 teams. Tressel came to Columbus, promised the Bucks would beat Michigan, and they have - and have competed for national titles almost every year. Why do spoiled Buckeye fans assume that what Tressel does accomplish is so easy, and that it will be no problem to find a coach who can win the Big 10, recruit top classes, beat Michigan (all like Tressel) but will also be a slightly more effective and aggressive game caller?

You are NEVER going to find a coach as good as Tressel. He is going to be here forever, and he should be.

(BTW, you left off wins over Texas and a win over Michigan in 2006 that at the time everyone said was the biggest game in Ohio State history. I also seem to recall a victory over a supposedly awesome Miami team. And I think I watched Brady Quinn's sister in a ridiculous uniform watching her boyfriend destroy her brother's team in a bowl game. So while there have been some struggles in big games recently, it's not like Tressel never wins the big games, and sometimes he does quite well in them.)

I can only assume that anyone who seriously entertains this idea either wasn't alive - or wasn't a Bucks fan - during the Cooper era. Tressel saved us from that, and we can't even consider going back.

BTW, I've never liked Tressel as a coach.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

what TR said. NOt too many guys better head coaching than him. NOt too many guys worse coaching offense than him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Can't believe this is being asked after almost stunning USC in a game practically everyone besides people with OSU ties saying USC ought to win....

Anyways just ask Nebraska what happens when you change coaches from a guy who average 9-10 wins a season.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    IMO, this poll should be something like: Should the statute built from Tressel in the middle of downtown Columbus be made of (a) gold or (b) bronze?

You can't fire a coach because his teams sometimes lose against top 5 teams. Tressel came to Columbus, promised the Bucks would beat Michigan, and they have - and have competed for national titles almost every year. Why do spoiled Buckeye fans assume that what Tressel does accomplish is so easy, and that it will be no problem to find a coach who can win the Big 10, recruit top classes, beat Michigan (all like Tressel) but will also be a slightly more effective and aggressive game caller?

You are NEVER going to find a coach as good as Tressel. He is going to be here forever, and he should be.

(BTW, you left off wins over Texas and a win over Michigan in 2006 that at the time everyone said was the biggest game in Ohio State history. I also seem to recall a victory over a supposedly awesome Miami team. And I think I watched Brady Quinn's sister in a ridiculous uniform watching her boyfriend destroy her brother's team in a bowl game. So while there have been some struggles in big games recently, it's not like Tressel never wins the big games, and sometimes he does quite well in them.)

I can only assume that anyone who seriously entertains this idea either wasn't alive - or wasn't a Bucks fan - during the Cooper era. Tressel saved us from that, and we can't even consider going back.
    Excellent post.

The bottom line is that you have to look at Tressel's accomplishments during his time at Ohio State and ask yourself if ANY other coach in the country could have accomplished as much at Ohio State?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Anything that introduces a little more chaos to OSU is a good thing.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

They lost to the better team. Since it was closer than it should have been, he did a hell of a job preparing his players for the game and coaching them during the game. His game plan gave them the best chance of winning over the superior team. It didn't work out.

Turn Off Ads?