Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunday September 13th Louisville Bats Updates

Re: Sunday September 13th Louisville Bats Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Ricky Romero is 12-6 in his rookie year with the Toronto Blue Jays. Former Red
    farm hand Justin Turner made his Major league debut with the Orioles last week.
    Based on his minor league production, would anyone have guessed that kind of production from Ricky Romero? I'm not saying he isn't a fluke, but I think it goes to show that just because someone is mediocre in the minors doesn't necessarily mean he can't be a quality Major Leaguer at some point.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Based on his minor league production, would anyone have guessed that kind of production from Ricky Romero? I'm not saying he isn't a fluke, but I think it goes to show that just because someone is mediocre in the minors doesn't necessarily mean he can't be a quality Major Leaguer at some point.
    Especially when that someone has a pedigree and the 'tools/stuff' like Romero always had.

Especially when that someone has a pedigree and the 'tools/stuff' like Romero always had.
    Yeah, he was drafted 6th overall, I think, 1 spot ahead of Kearns.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yeah, he was drafted 6th overall, I think, 1 spot ahead of Kearns.
    You are slightly confused. Romero was drafted in 2004. Kearns in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Good point. Speaking of which, Edwin Jackson is having a career year in Detroit. I think all the people who said the Reds should give up on Homer Bailey should take notice.

You are slightly confused. Romero was drafted in 2004. Kearns in 1998.
    Was Romero not drafted 6th and Kearns 7th?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Danny Dorn is an Oakland DH waiting to happen. Jack Cust is starting to get expensive and the Reds will probably not protect the guy.
    Dorn is a decent LF. I don't think he will end up as a DH. I hope the Reds will keep him, he will own the sun-moon deck when they bring him up.

I was at the 3 home playoff games, and Yonder Alonso made quite a few great plays at first. His home run, however, barely made it in to the stands.

Doug, what do you know about Camilo Vazquez? He has been hit hard all year, but his fastball last night was 91 - 93, and I think it hit 96 once, and he also has a change up and curveball. Also, where the heck did Enerio Del Rosario come from, he is lights out, as is Ondrusek (who I have heard has a great cutter). The story I heard was that the Reds changed his delivery to sidearm in spring.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Was Romero not drafted 6th and Kearns 7th?

Lol sure.... but it wasn't right before Kearns

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'd be fine with them re-signing Ramon Hernandez. I doubt he'll get any big money offers
    I'd be please with him coming back but I'd much rather have Benji Molina if it only comes down to a 2 year 9 million for Ramon or a 2 year 12 Million for Molina. OPS is terrible but his durability 401 games and counting and production, 52 HR's and 246 RBI's in the last 3 years on top of the handling and development of Lincecum and Cain, working with wild and Veteran LH's Johnson, Zito, Sanchez. Getting Penny turned around and now developing Bumgardner and done it all with only 4 PB and 4 errors all season and a sparkling team ERA shows he knows the batters in the league pretty well. I think he could get the most out of Cueto, Bailey, Wood and Eventually Volquez's stuff.
    Last edited by nemesis; 09-14-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Danny Dorn is an Oakland DH waiting to happen. Jack Cust is starting to get expensive and the Reds will probably not protect the guy.
    Nice post. Good insight.

You think we were missing some pitching in this series?

What a difference Roenicke and Stewart would have made as relievers in this series!

We win the series if we had Roenicke and Stewart in relief instead of what we had.

(and don't try to bring up the stupid argument for how they've pitched (the few innings) since they were traded. Being traded changes everything about a person, so they would have pitched the same way they were pitching before they were traded. With an entire off-season to get ready, they'll pick up right where they left off next spring.)

It's silly to say they would've won with two changes in personnel. If Roenicke weren't traded, he probably would've been with the Reds anyway. As for Stewart, he has a 1.675 WHIP in AAA over 25.2 innings, so it's not like he was dominant for Louisville when he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You think we were missing some pitching in this series?

What a difference Roenicke and Stewart would have made as relievers in this series!

We win the series if we had Roenicke and Stewart in relief instead of what we had.

(and don't try to bring up the stupid argument for how they've pitched (the few innings) since they were traded. Being traded changes everything about a person, so they would have pitched the same way they were pitching before they were traded. With an entire off-season to get ready, they'll pick up right where they left off next spring.)
    Yeah, the Reds should base all their trades on whether or not it will allow the Bats to advance in the playoffs.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Missing some pitching, sure. But you've got the wrong guys that were missed. Lehr, Wells, Maloney, Viola, Burton, Fisher, Bailey-- all played significant portions of the year in AAA and were called up because of injuries, ineffectiveness, and September call-ups.

But hey, continue to beat that drum about, you know, how good Roenicke or Stewart have been since... Oh wait, nevermind. They haven't been good. About how good they're going to be in the future when they win co-Cy Youngs over the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Lehr, Wells, Maloney, Viola, Burton, Fisher, Bailey-- all played significant portions of the year in AAA and were called up because of injuries, ineffectiveness, and September call-ups.
    I wouldn't say Wells or Burton had any kind of significant time with the Bats. Ramirez did though. Klinker was a huge loss.

To put it plainly, the problems were Vazquez, Cochran and Atencio. Then Baez, and LeCure had their problems but they're both coming off injuries. Kennard was as well but he was effective.

Lee Tabor earned a lot of respect from me. I made no bones about my disdain for him back when he was either giving up runs or allowing too many baserunners. He pitched quite well at the end of the season.

Turn Off Ads?