Turn Off Ads?

Thread: World War II documentary on TLC

They call me "chef"

World War II documentary on TLC

I was watching this documentary on TLC about World War II today around 1pm and there was a sequence talking about this Russian mod fighter pilot who was known as the "fearful mod" because every single US plane that was closed down (or shot down) always seemed to be closed by this aggressive fighter pilot. But I totally forget this mod pilot's name. Did anyone see this or know who I am talking about? I was so intrigued and I'm boggling my mind trying to remember his name. He was a Russian communist fighter pilot and his MO was he'd close down/shoot down a US plane than fly down to the wreckage and paint a little phrase so that people would know it was him who did it. Ring any bells? I wish I knew more/could say more. Any help is much appreciated!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: World War II documentary on TLC

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    I was watching this documentary on TLC about World War II today around 1pm and there was a sequence talking about this Russian mod fighter pilot who was known as the "fearful mod" because every single US plane that was closed down (or shot down) always seemed to be closed by this aggressive fighter pilot. But I totally forget this mod pilot's name. Did anyone see this or know who I am talking about? I was so intrigued and I'm boggling my mind trying to remember his name. He was a Russian communist fighter pilot and his MO was he'd close down/shoot down a US plane than fly down to the wreckage and paint a little phrase so that people would know it was him who did it. Ring any bells? I wish I knew more/could say more. Any help is much appreciated!
    I was unaware that the US fought any battles against the Russians during WWII.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If it had been up to Patton we would have.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    Dunno. Googled "fearful mod" "mod pilot", etc etc and came up with nothing.

TLC's schedule didn't show a WWII documentary any time recently.

Landing by a plane and writing something on it sounds more WWI-ish. I can't imagine that happening in WWII.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Agreed...why would the Russians be shooting down US fighters?

Then again...lousy commies!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Agreed...why would the Russians be shooting down US fighters?

Then again...lousy commies!
    Must have been around the time the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Could it have been during Korea?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

If I had to guess, I'd say the earlier in the 20th century, the more likely to be possible. A lot the planes, as they approach modernity, require more than an improvised runway to land/take off. By Korea, you'd be expecting a jet to land and takeoff, where ever a plane crashed? I wonder if it was during the US/Ally interdiction into the Russian revolution?

Well, I search under famous Russians and then soviet pilots and came up with nothing. I also went back and looked at the schedules for the History Channel and the Military Channel thinking that Baum might have been mistaken with TLC - but no such luck.

Ochre might be right... when I first read Baum's post I thought of WWI.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Well, I search under famous Russians and then soviet pilots and came up with nothing. I also went back and looked at the schedules for the History Channel and the Military Channel thinking that Baum might have been mistaken with TLC - but no such luck.

Ochre might be right... when I first read Baum's post I thought of WWI.
    The only thing wrong abut the Russians and WWI was that they didn't particpate. They were busy with their own revolution.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The only thing wrong abut the Russians and WWI was that they didn't particpate. They were busy with their own revolution.
    Russia most definitely did participate in World War I. Russia was defeated by Germany in 1917. Rusia suffered a huge defeat in the Battle of Tannenberg in 1914, and by the time Russia signed a peace treaty with Germany in early 1918 nearly 4,000,000 Russians are estimated to have been POWs. Lenin's Bolshevik government agreed to peace on German terms, as the Bolsheviks by 1918 were more concerned with consolidating their power.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 09-15-2009 at 08:25 AM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Russia most definitely did participate in World War I. Russia was defeated by Germany in 1917. Rusia suffered a huge defeat in the Battle of Tannenberg in 1914, and by the time Russia signed a peace treaty with Germany in early 1918 nearly 4,000,000 Russians are estimated to have been POWs. Lenin's Bolshevik government agreed to peace on German terms, as the Bolsheviks by 1918 were more concerned with consolidating their power.
    Yep. The tsar even felt compelled to head towards the front to lead in person. To varying degrees of failure.

Shortly after all this, the British, Americans, Japanese, and other assorted allies invaded Russia, largely, on behalf of the Russian White Army (and to attempt to extricate the Czech legion). That would be the time frame I would expect there to have been conditions that meet the initial post's parameters. Communist pilot vs. Americans in planes capable of landing in open fields. But I haven't found any indication that the US had any (substantial) Air Force present.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America..._Force_Siberia

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    Yep. The tsar even felt compelled to head towards the front to lead in person. To varying degrees of failure.

Shortly after all this, the British, Americans, Japanese, and other assorted allies invaded Russia, largely, on behalf of the Russian White Army (and to attempt to extricate the Czech legion). That would be the time frame I would expect there to have been conditions that meet the initial post's parameters. Communist pilot vs. Americans in planes capable of landing in open fields. But I haven't found any indication that the US had any (substantial) Air Force present.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America..._Force_Siberia
    There might not have been much of an American Air Force yet, but there were already a fair number of American pilots flying for the French.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?