Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bats Season Ends.. Roster Expansion?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Bats Season Ends.. Roster Expansion?

Fay:

Dusty Baker said Jay Bruce will be back in the Bats’ series ends tonight.

Yonder Alonso probably will not be called up.

“He hasn’t played that much,” Baker said. “He’s going to Arizona Fall League. You want him to get a break before that.”

The other two players on the 40-man are Sam LeCure and Juan Francisco. Your guess is good as mine if they’ll be called up.
    Bill Bray, Aaron Harang, & perhaps Ramon Hernandez could all end up on the 60 day DL to clear spots for players. Who do you expect? Would these moves make you attend a game or three?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bats Season Ends.. Roster Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Bill Bray, Aaron Harang, & perhaps Ramon Hernandez could all end up on the 60 day DL to clear spots for players. Who do you expect? Would these moves make you attend a game or three?
    There is nowhere to play the players they might call up. They really don't even have a spot for Bruce (they can't find room for Balentien as it is) although he will likely split time with the rest. Alonso, Frazier, and Francisco are all blocked by solid starters and would just sit next to Barker on the bench. Perhaps Valaika could see some time at short but with Janish getting an extended look and Rosales and Sutton on the bench, he probably wouldn't get more than a start or two either.

They need arms. Bailey and Cueto need protection (in my opinion, at least) as do the BP arms (since Baker continues to compartmentalize the BP according to win/lose scenarios).

I'd like to see 2-3 arms called up. Lecure, since he's already on the 40-man, should be a no brainer, unless he's got some health concerns. Then they should strongly consider Ondrusek and Del Rosario. Seems like they're avoiding the 60-day DL as much as possible, but I'd think this is a time where you should make some sacrifices. Other teams do it, why not the Reds?

Agree. I see no reason why Lecure, Rosario, and Ondrusek wouldn't be on the way to Cinti. Lecure's pitched some good baseball this year for the Bats and it would be helpful for him and the club to get him a couple of starts. The other two are potential contributors to next year's pen and almost surely guys you're going to want to protect from Rule 5--as they're exactly the kinds of guys teams are looking for--so why not bring them now?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Fay:

According to Reds.com Razor Ramon has started running the bases in Cincy and could be activated this week.

Unfortunatly the same goes for our beloved #3.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

LeCure has struggled since his time on the DL. He did make one very good start in early Sept but I think it would be wise to shut him down.

If Bruce is on ML roster, he should ABSOLUTELY start every day in RF, period, end of story. Personally, I'd run Bruce, Wlad and Stubbs out there starting every day the rest of the year with only periodic and sporadic breaks to give Nix / Gomes a shot once in a while. Those kids need the ML time, period and what better time to get it?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    If Bruce is on ML roster, he should ABSOLUTELY start every day in RF, period, end of story. Personally, I'd run Bruce, Wlad and Stubbs out there starting every day the rest of the year with only periodic and sporadic breaks to give Nix / Gomes a shot once in a while. Those kids need the ML time, period and what better time to get it?

I don't think Wlad is in the same category as the others. I don't get the feeling that the Reds think of him as a potential starting player for them, just based on their statements and their usage of him. He has tools, but at this point should be more consistent.

I'm glad Francisco is getting some MLB time this September. Within the next period of time (spring training, as early as possible next season), the Reds need to look at JF, Frazier, Alonso, Valaika, Heisey, all these guys.

The team must improve the offense, there is some potential help on the farm, they need to take a look - without rushing them too much.

As for Bruce, I wonder if we'll continue to see the extreme upper cut swing from earlier in the season. He didn't hit much in his AAA stint, I hope he's getting instruction to level out that swing a bit.

So Francisco is up....

Nice. Wonder how much Dusty will run him out there, and where. Will be very interesting to see him and Bruce facing the same pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Bruce was activated, but he is sitting in lieu of McDonald. Dusty being Dusty.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?