Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Granderson Available?

Re: Granderson Available?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You would be a lucky guy having two of your favorites on the Reds, Rolen and Granderson.
    Another one of my favorites may be available this offseason, Javier Vazquez, and if so, I'd also love to see him in a Reds uniform.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Another one of my favorites may be available this offseason, Javier Vazquez, and if so, I'd also love to see him in a Reds uniform.
    Get me Shane Victorino and I would be thrilled.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm glad I have a brick wall by me because I can pound my head against it for the talking of having other teams back their trucks up to the Reds dock and walk away with our best prospects. Yes, I know eventually some prospects get packaged in deals, but why do we always throw out Bailey first and then Alonso, etc.? Yikes!
    Becuase if you want to get Juan Pierre, you must be prepared to pay the price.

Apparently.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    I agree that Pierre might not be the best option for CF, but we could always play him in LF, plug a platoon of Dickerson/Stubbs into CF, and Bruce in RF -- with Gomez providing muscle off the bench.
    The only thing worse than Pierre in CF is Pierre in LF.

We need a hitter in LF. Gomes would be twice the player Pierre is in LF and at about 10% of the price. And most want an upgrade over Gomes.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The only thing worse than Pierre in CF is Pierre in LF.

But he's fast! Just like Corey Patterson and Willy Taveras and that worked out well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

So find a CF that can hit LHP, and we'll be much better with Granderson.

Trade Dickerson, throw Taveras in the OH River with his hands tied and some concrete around his feet, and let's stop this nonsense that Heisey is an option for CF in 2010.

I know I've said Heisey should be an option for 2010, but I was wrong. There, I said it, I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm glad I have a brick wall by me because I can pound my head against it for the talking of having other teams back their trucks up to the Reds dock and walk away with our best prospects. Yes, I know eventually some prospects get packaged in deals, but why do we always throw out Bailey first and then Alonso, etc.? Yikes!
    ... b/c we need players that have shown to produce solidly and consistently @ the MLB level?

Trade the unknown for the proven known.

Pierre is not my primary target with the trade I proposed, but rather Hu and Lindblom, as we do have a gaping hole at SS and we could always use another decent young candidate to break into the rotation.

At the same time, Pierre would be a major upgrade over Taveras as a lead-off hitter. He's not only fast. He can actually get on base, and with Votto, Rolen, Hu and crew batting behind him, maybe we can score a few more runs in 2010. Now what exactly would be wrong with that?

Bear in mind, many trades are made where teams accept less-than-ideal players in return for getting other players they more highly covet. The Blue Jays, for instance, took Encarnacion so they could acquire Stewart and Roenicke.

If we can upgrade SS, the rotation and lead-off, and the cost is accepting Pierre's inflated $10 million salary, that's OK be me, considering we would also be trading away $10 million in salary, and only weakening ourself at 2B -- which is a far easier position to reasonably and cheaply fill than SS, the rotation or lead-off.

The Reds already picked up their high salary player for 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    The Reds already picked up their high salary player for 2010.
    You're absolutely right.

As I said in another thread, I fully expect the Reds to shed payroll during the offseason.

There might be some personnel moves made, but Lettuce Bob's gonna bring the Reds to Opening Day 2010 with a lower payroll than what we saw Opening Day 2009.

I'd give them Bailey and Stubbs for him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Then who would we use as a guy to play against LHP in CF?

Not that I'm enamored with the idea of Stubbs platooning with Granderson, but he seems to be the only good defensive option we have in-house.

Given that our pitching isn't all that it's cracked up to be, we'll need Stubbs' elite defense when he's in the lineup to provide any value to this team at all, b/c it certainly won't be coming from his bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post

OK, if this is what you'd do then you don't get MLB Econ 101.

The Reds are not a team that can trade pre-arbitration players for a guy who is in the middle of a multiyear deal worth 8 figs per year. Perhaps talent wise you've got a point but money is a huge factor when discussing the viability of trades. This isn't like trading baseball cards in 4th grade. The Reds are a team that would much more likely be on the other end of such a deal where they are receiving two pre-arbitration players.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OK, if this is what you'd do then you don't get MLB Econ 101.

The Reds are not a team that can trade pre-arbitration players for a guy who is in the middle of a multiyear deal worth 8 figs per year. Perhaps talent wise you've got a point but money is a huge factor when discussing the viability of trades. This isn't like trading baseball cards in 4th grade. The Reds are a team that would much more likely be on the other end of such a deal where they are receiving two pre-arbitration players.
    That may (or perhaps even may not be) the case in reality, however it shouldn't be. I think we as fans need to go back to ignoring salaries to some extent, only Bob and company should be concerned about what we spend. Not only that it helps us fans rationalize why we shouldn't go after certain players. It's almost as if we've had a Jedi mind trick played on us. "These aren't the players your looking for, go on about your business, move along, move along"!

Just for the record I'm with OBM on Granderson, he's one of my favorites and I'd definitely be all for making an offer for him the guy just hit his prime years. But I'd go Stubbs, Francisco...etc. Bah humbug about platooning him he shows glimpses of figuring them out (see '08) but if you did I like Heisey as that guy. I do believe he's capable of producing quite well in that role to start off his career, he's no Stubbs in the field but he's a much better offensive player and he's no bum in CF.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    That may (or perhaps even may not be) the case in reality, however it shouldn't be. I think we as fans need to go back to ignoring salaries to some extent, only Bob and company should be concerned about what we spend.
    Why should "we fans" ignore reality? If you want to stick your head in the sand, fine, go for it but I choose to live in the real world. To a large extent money determines who gets what in MLB. The Reds are drawing about 10K a game these days. That's not a team that can commit itself to a $25mill deal. The only way this works is if a big contract like Arroyo or Harang goes back to the Tigers

Turn Off Ads?