Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The crowded Reds Outfield for 2010

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

The crowded Reds Outfield for 2010

I was thinking about this..... and it isn't a bad problem to have since we're going to have as much quality depth as we've had at the position in many number of years. But look at the OF we're going to have looking to make this roster next season:

Jay Bruce
    Drew Stubbs
    Chris Dickerson
    Johnny Gomes (Free Agent)
    Wladimir Balentien
    Willy Taveras
    Heisey
    Joey Votto (by this time next year at the latest; if Alonso will be on the team or makes a case to be)

I think this alone makes it highly unlikely that they won't re-sign Gomes. Right or wrong, they know they've got an abundance of OF that can play at the MLB level. There's more then one odd man out listed above there. I think Dickerson COULD get dealt in the offseason for a need somewhere else. I honestly think Drew Stubbs or Jay Bruce also could be had at the right price. Although I still feel they should build around Bruce. I like Balentien as a 4th or 5th outfielder. I know many are high on Heisey but I don't know a lot about him. If Yonder Alonso is ever going to return on the investment at this level then they're going to need to do something with Votto and that'd probably be left field. Then they're hamstrung with Taveras' bad contract at least for next year, which I see as the biggest problem. So who is going to be in the outfield to start the year next year, and who is going to be the 4th and 5th outfielder, since we'll say they'll carry five.

LF: Dickerson 65%/Stubbs 35%
    CF: Taveras
    RF: Bruce (Balentien will spell if Bruce doesn't improve vs. LHP)

4th OF: Stubbs/Balentien
    5th OF: Heisey

this is what I guess they'll do.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The crowded Reds Outfield for 2010

What about Nix?

Willy Taveras has no room on this team. The good news is that they can eat the contract and fill the position with rookies who make the minimum. It's the only way I can see them eating WT's contract.

Gomes absolutely deserves to be the opening day LF'er based on ST of course, and he could even be trade bait late in ST '10. I think right now the outfield OD 2010 is:

Stubbs/Dickerson Center
    Bruce (on a short leash: he hasn't proved he can consistently hit ML pitching in Right)
    Gomes Left

Bench: Balentien, Nix

Yonder will start in Triple A much the same way Bruce did in '08 and have to play himself onto the team. If they do in fact move Votto out to LF, then that makes Gomes expendable to trade. Heisey may play his way onto the team in ST, making Nix expendable to trade or release in ST. Once Stubbs can hit consistently, Dickerson becomes expendable.

No matter how you look at it, it's a great problem to have and should be plenty of decent trade fodder for once. The lineup come June 2010 could be:

Stubbs CF
    Phillips 2nd
    Votto LF
    Rolen 3rd
    Alonzo 1st
    Bruce RF
    Hanigan C
    Janish/JJ Hardy/FA SS

Outfield Bench: Balentien, Nix, Dickerson, Heisey (2 of these guys)
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 09-17-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Johnny Gomes has hit 20 homeruns this season, thats gotta be worth something on the open market. It'd be great if we could flip him for an everyday SS. Then just get rid of Tavares. If you can trade him great, I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to take him unless Dusty Baker starts managing another team. If you can't trade him just cut our losses with him. That would be my solution.

LF: Dickerson
    CF: Stubbs
    RF: Bruce
    Bench: Nix/Heisey/Balentien 2 of 3
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

I think on April 5 there will be a lot of very disapointed Red Zoners

Danny Dorn has to be somewhere in the mix. And Darnell McDonald.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    What about Nix?
    Nix Sucks

I don't believe you can flip Jonny Gomes because he will be a free agent. I could be wrong. I think you make every effort to sign him to a reasonable contract.

Jay Bruce needs to step it up. I think he will.

Five outfielders:

Bruce
    Gomes
    Stubbs
    Dickerson
    Balentien

There is no reason or excuse or explanation for Taveras being a Cincinnati Red in 2010.

PS If I get three out of those five right I will be shocked. =)

We Reds fans never learn do we. Every off season we expect them to make a splash and get someone that can help. But every year they counter with someone like Taveras. So I agree with DannyB there will be a lot of upset fans on April 5th of 2010. Heres what to expect for openig day next year.
    C- Hannigan
    1B- Votto
    2B- Phillips
    3B- Rolen all good so far but heres were it goes south
    SS- Janish
    CF- Taveras he will start here and lead off next year period.
    LF- Gomes Id rather see a young guy get this spot
    RF- Bruce

1) Taveras CF- oh joy you know the CF leads off dont you
    2) Janish SS- SS always hits 2nd aswell didnt you know no matter how light hitting
    3) Votto 1B- solid
    4) Phillips 2B- solid
    5) Rolen 3B- solid again
    6) Bruce RF- young but shoud be better
    7) Gomes LF- terrible on D
    8) hannigan C- no beef here but should be hitting second

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I haven't been impressed AT ALL with Mr. Balentien. With Bruce, Dickerson and Votto the only lefty hitters I see so far, wouldn't it make sense to keep Nix for pinch-hitting?

Injuries will undoubtedly be a factor, too. 1-2 (or more) of these guys will probably get hurt, so the best laid plans will go awry.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Nix Sucks
    dude you took the words from my mouth. If he's back it's asking to finish 5th again.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by tobttr View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I haven't been impressed AT ALL with Mr. Balentien. With Bruce, Dickerson and Votto the only lefty hitters I see so far, wouldn't it make sense to keep Nix for pinch-hitting?
    Nah. The LH bat should be Dorn.

I am not at all convinced that Bruce should be starting. Dickerson OBP is almost 100 points higher than Bruce's I would definitely think about Dickerson in right.

I think you have to seriously consider signing Gomes. The guy has mosre RBI's than Bruce at this point in 70 fewer ab's He also has more homeruns.

I am not at all convinced that Stubbs is the answer in center. Especially batting lead-off. It is true that he has tremendous potential. Like Taveras though he has to get on base.

MacDonald and Balentien are nice guys to have around for an occasional start and repalcement issues. I would also like to have a look at Alexius Oliveras and David Sappelt although both are at least a year away. (Somebody needs to teach those guys how to take a walk.

I just don't see a place for Nix.

I would trade Francisco, Alonso or Bruce for a shortstop. The Reds should target Nunez with the Yankees, Brignac with the Jays or Ruben Tejada with the Mets. I think the Reds could get them in a straight one for one swap.

My outfield would be
    Dickerson RF
    Stubbs CF
    Gomes RF (He does have a good arm also. )

Bench
    Balentien or MacDonald right handers
    Bruce, Francisco or Alonso left handers

See if River Downs would take Taveras for a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by tobttr View Post
    A minority for sure but I agree,he hasn't been all that impressive.Balentien looks like trade bait to me.I think Nix will be back,just because he wont cost much.

Turn Off Ads?