Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What do you want to see from Stubbs going forward?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • His current .760 OPS is just fine

22 24.72%
  • Would like to see a higher OBP, even at expense of some SLG

51 57.30%
  • Would like to see the SLG continue to climb

2 2.25%
  • Not satisfied with a .760 OPS

4 4.49%
  • Slightly lower than .760 would still be justifed by defense

10 11.24%
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

LOL yeah maybe. It's up to them though.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    You didn't want us to take Stubbs. We all remember that. Since it happened, you've championed him and been one of his, if not the biggest, cheerleaders. It's almost like you're staking your reputation on you being right about Stubbs.
    I don't feel that way. I have just been tired of some labeling him a bust since day 1 without actually giving him a chance to be his own player and have defended him since then in regards to that thought process.

As for Mesoraco, you've also greatly warmed to him, and defend him to detractors on a regular basis.
    Because there are good things with Mesoraco that are being overlooked because of his weaknesses.

Stubbs' D is what'll keep him @ the MLB level. His bat will be what will lead him back to AAA.
    Which is it? His glove keeps him here or his bat supposedly will send him to AAA.... those are two very different things.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 09-26-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Face facts. You have never been critical of a Reds' 1st round pick, IMO because you are afraid of losing the access you have to the Reds minor leaguers, at least the ones you like.
    Really, this comment can apply to most any beat writer or reporter. The only people who lob grenades regularly are the ones who've been around forever and think they're bulletproof (Brennaman), national media (Olney, Carroll, etc.), and radio guys who never go into the clubhouse (think Andy Furman).

Having said that, I think we could all use a step back -- nobody's going to win a medal for being "right" about what Drew Stubbs turns into. I'm fairly certain Doug isn't going to make money for sticking with the kid through some lean years in the low minors, and I'm damn sure nobody will get a pat on the back for projecting a prospect to fail and being right.

It's a debate -- let's not make it personal.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 09-26-2009 at 02:46 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I think Stubbs has a lot more trade value than Dickerson. Not saying to give him away but if you can use him to solve the problems at SS or C (or even LF if it's the right guy), I'd jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I think Stubbs has a lot more trade value than Dickerson. Not saying to give him away but if you can use him to solve the problems at SS or C (or even LF if it's the right guy), I'd jump on it.
    Yep, Been saying it for over a year now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

My bold prediction is that Chris Dickerson never goes a single year in his career without going on the DL. I think Drew Stubbs will have several trips to the DL, too, but I think he's significantly more durable than CD over the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    My bold prediction is that Chris Dickerson never goes a single year in his career without going on the DL. I think Drew Stubbs will have several trips to the DL, too, but I think he's significantly more durable than CD over the long haul.
    Could be right about that. But Dickerson/Heisey would be a cheap platoon until Yorman is ready. Fellhauer may take Dickerson's spot in a couple years before CD gets too expensive.

Stubbs has obviously impressed and he's playing like Joe Dimaggio, but I still don't expect him to be much better than a Dickerson/Heisey platoon over the next few years. If you can sub those guys and fix another part of the team that is broken, why not?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    That's a legitimate concern. I don't remember Dickerson being a injury-prone guy in the minors, though I could be wrong about that. I do think, if both are healthy, that Dickerson is going to be the better hitter in 2010. They are really such similar players though that it doesn't make a ton of sense to have both on the roster. Good outfield depth is nice to have, but I'd rather have a decent starting shortstop.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Really, this comment can apply to most any beat writer or reporter. The only people who lob grenades regularly are the ones who've been around forever and think they're bulletproof (Brennaman), national media (Olney, Carroll, etc.), and radio guys who never go into the clubhouse (think Andy Furman).

Having said that, I think we could all use a step back -- nobody's going to win a medal for being "right" about what Drew Stubbs turns into. I'm fairly certain Doug isn't going to make money for sticking with the kid through some lean years in the low minors, and I'm damn sure nobody will get a pat on the back for projecting a prospect to fail and being right.

It's a debate -- let's not make it personal.
    hey, I was out of this thread. stated it was my last post at one point. I was told what i need to discuss by him, not the other way around.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    hey, I was out of this thread. stated it was my last post at one point. I was told what i need to discuss by him, not the other way around.
    Except it was Highlifeman21 who brought you out of hibernation on the thread when he said you have shown something that you clearly hadn't. I just refuted the statement made by highlifeman with the data showing how it was incorrect and then you came back into the thread. Yeah, I did tell you that you both should stop making a false statement about it though.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Dickerson is a passable CF, but he's not in Stubb's league.

Stubb's fielding give's him a huge upside if he hits a bit.

We need to see if Stubb's hits enough to play CF on a regular basis.

I think it's crazy to shop Stubbs when he could be the answer to one of our question marks.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

I think it's crazy to shop Stubbs when he could be the answer to one of our question marks.
    Bingo.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Yeah. I'm happy with Dickerson spelling one of the starters and being a late-inning D replacement. I would reckon a late inning defense of Dickerson/Stubbs/Bruce would be satisfyingly good with the leather.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except it was Highlifeman21 who brought you out of hibernation on the thread when he said you have shown something that you clearly hadn't. I just refuted the statement made by highlifeman with the data showing how it was incorrect and then you came back into the thread. Yeah, I did tell you that you both should stop making a false statement about it though.
    You said i need to stop talking about something.

You don't get to do that. period.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I think it's time to cue the Barney theme song.

Turn Off Ads?