Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What do you want to see from Stubbs going forward?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • His current .760 OPS is just fine

22 24.72%
  • Would like to see a higher OBP, even at expense of some SLG

51 57.30%
  • Would like to see the SLG continue to climb

2 2.25%
  • Not satisfied with a .760 OPS

4 4.49%
  • Slightly lower than .760 would still be justifed by defense

10 11.24%
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Successful teams do a better job of figuring who players really are than the teams that are the perennial losers.
    I'm not sure I buy this, hook line and sinker. A lot of times players just need a good opportunity. And that can come with a losing team.

Teams need the ability to communicate effectively up and down the line, from the front office all the way down through their major league and minor league staffs and scouts. This ensures that accurate information about a player is being used when personnel decisions are made.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'm not sure I buy this, hook line and sinker. A lot of times players just need a good opportunity. And that can come with a losing team.
    some players do need a change of scenery or a better opportunity. But in general the better organizations do an overall better job of player evaluation. When you don't you end up with Willy T, Gonzo, Hairston, Hernandez, Lincoln, etc.

The Reds have a dearth of talent that isn't going to be easy to fix.

I wonder what scouts thought of WMP's power? 70? 75? and I was a huge WMP fan. We all have blinders when it comes to our favorite players.

is strong doesn't = hits for power.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I wonder what scouts thought of WMP's power? 70? 75? and I was a huge WMP fan. We all have blinders when it comes to our favorite players.

The irony in this statement is that Drew Stubbs isn't really considered "strong" per se.

The reason he projects as having a lot of power potential is his frame could support future strength/growth and his swing is quick and compact. With his body frame, that often lends itself to added power.

His body type is actually one of the prototypes scouts point to when projecting power.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Stubbs is already one of the Reds' top 5 1st rd draft picks of the past 20 years. He's no Johnny Oliver or Chad Mattolla. I consider him one of our 1st rd successes. I know 1st rd MLB picks are different than other sports.

I look at Drew knowing that we missed Lincecum, thinking hey, at least we didn't end up with a bust pick. The last All Star 1st rd pick we've had was Jack Armstrong, over 20 yrs ago. Just a difference in how we view these things I guess.

Did you see the home run Wily Mo hit halfway into the upper deck in left center at GABP? That was 70-80 power on the scouting scale.

That scale does not forecast any level of performance. Just that the performance is possible. It's up to the player and the coaching staff to translate the tool into performance.

And some of us have blinders on when it comes to our least favorite players.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Did you see the home run Wily Mo hit halfway into the upper deck in left center at GABP? That was 70-80 power on the scouting scale.

That scale does not forecast any level of performance. Just that the performance is possible. It's up to the player and the coaching staff to translate the tool into performance.

And some of us have blinders on when it comes to our least favorite players.
    yup, and I have admitted as much a number of times.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am sure scouts saw Pena with a 70 raw power and he had it too. His problem was an inability to get its full potential because he couldn't hit anything but a fastball and he swung at everything.

I think you are confusing raw power with current power. They are two entirely different things on a scouting resume.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am sure scouts saw Pena with a 70 raw power and he had it too. His problem was an inability to get its full potential because he couldn't hit anything but a fastball and he swung at everything.

I think you are confusing raw power with current power. They are two entirely different things on a scouting resume.
    Except WMP had a season where he utilized that power to the tune of 26 HR's.

Stubbs likely won't hit that many over the course of the next three seasons starting in April.

For all the grief this site gave WMP, he sure had some intriguing seasons.

At the plate, there is nothing intriguing about Stubbs. Defensively? sure, but not at the plate. I think he's Michael Bourne lite.

Except WMP had a season where he utilized that power to the tune of 26 HR's.

Stubbs likely won't hit that many over the course of the next three seasons starting in April.

For all the grief this site gave WMP, he sure had some intriguing seasons.

At the plate, there is nothing intriguing about Stubbs. Defensively? sure, but not at the plate. I think he's Michael Bourne lite.
    You are in serious denial dude. There is nothing intriguing about Stubbs having 7 HR's in 130 plate appearances? Really?

Here is Drew Stubbs minor league spray charts from 2007 and 2008 combined into 1 chart (thanks Photoshop.... what would I do without you?). Anything beyond the outfield gray is considered a HR in a neutral park).

Stubbs had 19 HR's between 2007 and 2008. They are showing up in blue. Don't know what is up with the one blue dot HR that looks like it went all of 250 feet (inside the park HR?), likely an input error. What I do see is that there are 15 balls that didn't go as HR's that went far enough to be HR's in a normal playing field between 2007 and 2008. There isn't a chart for 2009 yet and I honestly don't know if one is going to be made over at MinorLeaguesplits.com where I got the charts to begin with. What I do know is that Stubbs 19 HR's from 2007 and 2008 could have easily have been 30.

You are in serious denial dude. There is nothing intriguing about Stubbs having 7 HR's in 130 plate appearances? Really?
    nope. I mean i guess its intriguing from the standpoint that he's NEVER had production like this in his ENTIRE professional career.

that's kind of intriguing.

The lack of doubles though is odd, especially with his speed.

as jojo states, not enough MLB data, but plenty of data from the minors suggest this is a fluke/streak. enjoy it, it likely won't last.

nope. I mean i guess its intriguing from the standpoint that he's NEVER had production like this in his ENTIRE professional career.

as jojo states, not enough MLB data, but plenty of data from the minors suggest this is a fluke/streak. enjoy it, it likely won't last.
    See the chart above for 'fluke'.

As for intriguing.... I think he is a very intriguing guy given his plate discipline in the minors as well as his power potential that you simply refuse to believe is there despite scouting reports and even his recent run of legit power.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Maybe Stubbs is on the juice?

Newly found power?

See the chart above for 'fluke'.

As for intriguing.... I think he is a very intriguing guy given his plate discipline in the minors as well as his power potential that you simply refuse to believe is there despite scouting reports and even his recent run of legit power.
    So his 3 HR's at AAA are the fluke?

really?

Turn Off Ads?