Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: McDonald and Balentien

  1. #1
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,420

    McDonald and Balentien

    So I was curious about the amount of playing time that each LFer had gotten here in September and the success of each...


    McDonald who is 31:

    Has had 34 AB's with ZERO BB's and 11K's 3 XBH and 4 RBI's in 10 Games

    With a .265 /.353 /.618 OPS Line

    __________________________________________________ ______________

    Balentien who is 25:

    Has had 25 AB's with 4 BB's and 9 K's 5 XBH and 2 RBI's in 7 games

    With a .414 /.640 /.1054 OPS Line

    __________________________________________________ ______________

    Gomes who is 29:

    Has had 45 AB's with 3 BB's and 9 K's 6 XBH and 8 RBI's in 12 games

    With a .292 /.556 /.848 OPS Line



    He has given McD 3 more games and 9 more AB's than a possible solution to our LF dilema in Balentien next year. Gomes does deserve the AB's he is getting but he might prove to be a couple million we shouldn't spend on OF help since we have so much... These are the types of decisions that lend to Dusty's Veterans over Youngsters stigma. Even though Balentien is the Vet by service time... No way McDonald should be anything more than a early game PH, PR or a defensive replacement in the late innings...


    I heard in a pregame interview Dusty said he bases his daily outfield on who is pitching for the Reds that day. He said if a guy is more of a flyball pitcher, he will run defensive players over big hitters out there and vice versa. Now I'm not a expert or anything but don't Flyball pitchers tend to give up something called a HR more often than GB pitchers? Leading to more runs given up and needing more offense? I about gagged in my car listening to that...


    Last year Dusty HAD to play Patterson because there were no options to replace him. With McDonald there isn't any excuse to play him. McDonald will not be apart of the 2010 Reds at all. Balentien more than likely will be. There is zero to play for this year except Dusty's Managerial Record. Which he is sabatoging by running the Taverases, McDonalds, Janishes, Gonzales and such then placing them at the top of the order. We play no more teams in any type of race. It should be the young guys for the last 15 or so games.


    I am curious to see how he plays and handles Taveras once he is able to go. I'd almost bet he either splits his time with Stubbs or puts Stubbs in LF because he has played it before...

    A lineup vs RH's of:

    Stubbs
    Balentien - .395 /.493 /.988 OPS Vs .263 /.188 /.451 Vs LH
    Votto
    Phillips
    Rolen
    Bruce
    Hanigan
    Janish

    and

    Stubbs
    Hanigan
    Votto
    Phillips
    Rolen
    Gomes - .361 /.523 /.884 OPS with a .295 BA vs .255 vs RH and a .335 OBP
    Bruce
    Janish

    Vs LH's


    and I didn't even have to manage a couple thousand games to figure that out...
    Last edited by nemesis; 09-17-2009 at 06:29 PM.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,578

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    Why is McDonald starting today?

    What possible benefit could that be to the REDS?

  4. #3
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Why is McDonald starting today?

    What possible benefit could that be to the REDS?
    I have wondered this on several occasions latley. Dusty has repeatedly said they are looking at people for next year.
    You have guys like Stubbs/Balentien who you should be looking at and he continues to give Mcdonald ab's. I dont get on Dusty for every little thing but playing Mcdonald when there are other options is beyond ridiculous.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    285

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    Maybe Stubbs need a breather

  6. #5
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    While I probably feel the same way about Dusty as you guys do I blame Walt at this point.Even if Dusty was right and playing McDonald did prevent a hit or two how does that help us for next year?Walt needs to flat out tell Baker what he needs to do at this point to help him make the most informed decisions this off season.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,085

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    Since coming back up from Louisville in August, in 50 ABs, McDonald is hitting .320 with a .346 OBP and is slugging .540. I'm not suggesting that McDonald should be in the future plans, but he's definitely been producing since he came back. If Dusty is focused on winning games this year, then it makes perfect sense for him to play McDonald.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 09-17-2009 at 10:48 PM.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    619

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    And who won the game for us tonight...my god was Dusty right?

    nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    And who won the game for us tonight...my god was Dusty right?

    nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo
    If he started Darnell every night a pitcher I think it would be inevitable that he got a win also. :o

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    655

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    i want walt or someone to just lay the smack down on who dusty plays. walt didnt bring up stubbs to ride the bench, he should be playing everyday

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    619

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    He gave the kid one night off after playing every game since he was called up. Relax people. It's a long season.

    It's pretty obvious that Darnell won't be here next year. What does it really hurt to let the guy play here and there? I hear the argument that the kids should get the time to be evaluated. Do you really think these kids aren't being evaluated enough? Winter ball, WBC, spring training, minor leagues, major league call ups sure seems like plenty of time to evaluate.

    I don't think playing Darnell a few games in Aug/Sept with the team totally out of the playoff race is going to hurt the development of anyone. From most accounts he's a great guy who prepares, plays the game right and loves the game. Those are exactly the kind of players who should be emulated. Especially by the young guys who are "future stars". Darnell is 30 and getting really just his second "taste" of the big leagues. He's busted his but way beyond what most players would put up with being a AAAA guy. Think of guys like Corky Miller who just love to play. Never stars, never making the big club out of ST just filling the wholes when the stars get hurt.

    try to remember that the players are people too. They aren't commodities. Hell if they were, they might play up to our expectations. But that's the human side of the game and to me what makes it great. Perfect example is Mr. Peter Edward Rose. The way I hear people talk about players today makes me think Pete may have never had a chance in todays game. He wasn't big, didn't hit homers, wasn't fast, didn't have a position. But he had heart and desire and the ambition to be better than he was physically capable of being. And we all know how that turned out.

    All I'm saying is lighten up on Darnell. The guy plays hard, isn't the best and isn't in the teams future. But he's here today, filling a need and giving it his all. That's what I want to see every time I turn on a Reds game.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 09-18-2009 at 12:23 PM.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    mason
    Posts
    748

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    well said atl. this was also the 2nd or 3rd game where he greatly contributed to a W since he's been back with the club.

  13. #12
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    He gave the kid one night off after playing every game since he was called up. Relax people. It's a long season.

    It's pretty obvious that Darnell won't be here next year. What does it really hurt to let the guy play here and there? I hear the argument that the kids should get the time to be evaluated. Do you really think these kids aren't being evaluated enough? Winter ball, WBC, spring training, minor leagues, major league call ups sure seems like plenty of time to evaluate.

    I don't think playing Darnell a few games in Aug/Sept with the team totally out of the playoff race is going to hurt the development of anyone. From most accounts he's a great guy who prepares, plays the game right and loves the game. Those are exactly the kind of players who should be emulated. Especially by the young guys who are "future stars". Darnell is 30 and getting really just his second "taste" of the big leagues. He's busted his but way beyond what most players would put up with being a AAAA guy. Think of guys like Corky Miller who just love to play. Never stars, never making the big club out of ST just filling the wholes when the stars get hurt.

    try to remember that the players are people too. They aren't commodities. Hell if they were, they might play up to our expectations. But that's the human side of the game and to me what makes it great. Perfect example is Mr. Peter Edward Rose. The way I hear people talk about players today makes me think Pete may have never had a chance in todays game. He wasn't big, didn't hit homers, wasn't fast, didn't have a position. But he had heart and desire and the ambition to be better than he was physically capable of being. And we all know how that turned out.

    All I'm saying is lighten up on Darnell. The guy plays hard, isn't the best and isn't in the teams future. But he's here today, filling a need and giving it his all. That's what I want to see every time I turn on a Reds game.


    Because we have a guy with no options left who has to make the team next year or be cut who is young, cheap and has a tremendous upside sitting on the bench getting less ab's than McDonald. I am sure he is a tremendous person but one start a week max is more than enough... Balentien has never hit ML pitching with the type of sucess he had in the Minors. Playing Winter Ball, Spring Training and the WBC doesn't really help you to hit a ML curve. Facing the ML curve teaches you how to hit it. Something Jay Bruce has yet to do. If he needs the AB's then so does Balentien...

    Is 40 AB's in a half a month not more than enough for a guy who is a 6th OF at best on every other team in the Majors?
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  14. #13
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,121

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    While I probably feel the same way about Dusty as you guys do I blame Walt at this point.Even if Dusty was right and playing McDonald did prevent a hit or two how does that help us for next year?Walt needs to flat out tell Baker what he needs to do at this point to help him make the most informed decisions this off season.
    I agree. I just don't see the semi-retired Jocketty doing it.

    Toothpick has stated that he doesn't particularly enjoy having to "testify" as to whom he plays or when he plays them. I don't see Jocketty confronting him, on this matter or any other.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    619

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    "Is 40 AB's in a half a month not more than enough for a guy who is a 6th OF at best on every other team in the Majors?"

    In the last three weeks he's been the 4-5th outfielder on this team. And he's produced. You still try to win ballgames after you are out of contention.

    And I'll say it again, Ballentien isn't going to lose his roster spot next year based on what he does the last month of the previous season. With all the OF'ers we have on the 40 man for next year, the battle will be won in ST. Even if they don't throw him any curveballs.

    I know people want to think this last month means something, or this player is getting his chance to prove himself. It's true to a degree, but the roster will be set by what happens in ST 2010, what trades we make, what FA's we sign, etc.

    Not because Balantien sat the bench the first game of the Marlins series in late Sept. '09.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,578

    Re: McDonald and Balentien

    Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    well said atl. this was also the 2nd or 3rd game where he greatly contributed to a W since he's been back with the club.
    And what possible benefit is that to the REDS?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25