Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Dusty is not going to play Jay Bruce..."

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

"Dusty is not going to play Jay Bruce..."

For some odd reason, I continued to listen to WLW tonight and on came Doc Rogers. I usually avoid Rogers like the plague, but there I was listening and all of a sudden, Rogers is reading from P-Doc's column, I guess from today in which he apparently said Jay Bruce was the only fixture in the 2010 outfield. Then, Doc detonated the bomb.

"Dusty is not going to play Jay Bruce next year if he continues to hit like he has this year," says Doc. His rationale was it's dusty's contract year and he won't put up with .211 hitters starting because he wants to stay here. I know it's poison to mention it around here, but I've been thninking the same thing for some time now. It's telling in that he's not starting so much since his return, and I think we can expect the same next year. So, buckle your seatbelts, RedsZone, we might have a meltdown.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Dusty is not going to play Jay Bruce..."

Dusty shouldn't play Jay Bruce if he can't hit ML pitching - and so far, he can't. That's an easy call.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Consider the source, though. Doc Rodgers is not held in high esteem among ORG members.

It'll all be moot anyway as Dusty will get a contract extension this off season.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    "Dusty is not going to play Jay Bruce next year if he continues to hit like he has this year," says Doc.
    I guess that you are saying that it was the opinion of the talk show host. Maybe he was having a tough time finding some filler to keep someone listening.

Dusty and the Reds are dumber than I thought if they give up on a talent like Jay Bruce at his age. I wonder if the Cardinals are ready to give up on Colby Rasmus? Or if the Orioles are ready to give up on Matt Wieters? I don't think so.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 09-19-2009 at 02:22 AM.

dusty will just run out the willy t and old mcdonalds of the world. we have to many hitters who just don't hit. we need a new hitting coach.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dusty and the Reds are dumber than I thought if they give up on a talent like Jay Bruce at his age. I wonder if the Cardinals are ready to give up on Colby Rasmus? Or if the Orioles are ready to give up on Matt Wieters? I don't think so.
    1. This was one man's opinion
    2. I do think there's a difference between playing the guys that help win games and giving up on someone

I won't say that Bruce is a step down from the overall ability on the Reds' roster, but his OBP has hovered in WT territory this season. So I do think, if what Doc says has any validity, it's not completely unfounded as it's different than giving up on Bruce.

Anyhow, the important thing is No. 1. Right now, this is nothing more than one person's opinion.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Code:
    DUSTY BAKER

AGE = 22

YEAR TEAM         AGE G    AB    R    H    2B  3B  HR   HR%   RBI  BB   SO   SB   CS  AVG   SLG  OBA   OPS
    1971 Braves       22   29    62    2   14   2   0   0   0.00    4    1   14    0   1  .226  .258  .238  .496 
         TOTALS            29    62    2   14   2   0   0   0.00    4    1   14    0   1  .226  .258  .238  .496 
         LG AVERAGE              65    8   17   3   0   1   2.21    7    6    9    1   1  .260  .380  .326  .706 

YEAR TEAM          RC   RCAA  RCAP OWP   RC/G   TB   EBH  ISO   SEC  BPA  IBB HBP SAC  SF GIDP OUTS  PA   POS
    1971 Braves          3   -6   -7  .115   1.59   16    2  .032  .048  .238   1   0   1   0   1    51    64  RF
         TOTALS          3   -6   -7  .115   1.59   16    2  .032  .048  .238   1   0   1   0   1    51    64 
         LG AVERAGE      8    0    0  .500   4.27   25    4  .121  .231  .419   1   0   1   0   2    51    72

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    "Dusty is not going to play Jay Bruce next year if he continues to hit like he has this year," says Doc.
    Why not? Dusty has had no problem doing so before with various other players. Who else is he going to put out in RF? Now I realize this is Roger's contention, and he's about as knowledgeable on the game, or possesses any more inside info, as my neighbor's cat; but maybe this once again exposes Baker's faulty old school logic with B/A, as well as his impatience with your players, and their handling?

If this team even "smells" .500 next year, Baker will be extended IMO.

And I don't think that Baker (Reds) will give up on Bruce. He'll be in RF.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't think it's giving up on him if they send him to the minors. If they keep him in the majors and sit him, that's stupid. But I have no problem with sending him down. The kids needs to learn how to hit again. I have no question that he'll have a good ML career, but the fact is right now he's not getting the job done.

Jay Bruce has no grasp of the strikezone. He is lost right now and major league pitchers are going to keep exploiting him until he figures it out. He is a very easy out at this point. If he makes no strides in winter ball, he, very well may need some seasoning in AAA until he can figure it out. I feel bad for the kid right now. Huge expectations and it is very easy to see that he is really pressing.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Dusty will run out that guy named Willy T ... he's just in a slump this year.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Dusty shouldn't play Jay Bruce if he can't hit ML pitching - and so far, he can't. That's an easy call.
    Consider the bad luck he was suffering, in addition to his legitimate struggles, it's gonna be pretty darn hard to find out how Bruce will handle MLB pitching going forward if he doesn't get at bats. If you want to start him in AAA and let him regain some confidence and tone down the uppercut, I wouldn't agree with it but I could understand. But if he's in the majors and not playing everyday, or at minimum against all righties, Dusty should fire immediately for gross incompetence.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 09-19-2009 at 02:54 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    That's all fine and nice if the Reds are trying to win a WS next year, and have significant upgrade that can help the Reds pursure that goal.

That's not a realistic plan. Bruce is the overall best option to man RF. he can field, and has a chance to be a special hitter. You don't sit that so the back-ups can do nothing to improve the future.

The Reds need Bruce to succeed, and the best way to do that is to continue to expose him to major league pitching, so he can learn, adjust, and become the asset that we need him to be.

Turn Off Ads?