Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who should be the Red's starting pitcher on opening day 2010?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aaron Harang

22 31.88%
  • Bronson Arroyo

21 30.43%
  • Johnny Cueto

9 13.04%
  • Homer Bailey

15 21.74%
  • Other

2 2.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who should be the Red's starting pitcher on opening day 2010?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who should be the Red's starting pitcher on opening day 2010?

I'd have to say Homer Bailey, I think he's our best chance to beat Chris Carpenter.

Re: Who should be the Red's starting pitcher on opening day 2010?

Its going to be Harang unless hes not here. Only way Bailey gets it is if he pitches this good the rest of the year and then is lights out in spring.

I dont even think Bronson or Harang will be with the reds next season so whats the point

Harang.

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

If bronson is here next season, i'd give him the ball.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

People saying Harang, Arroyo are making me laugh. Those guys are lucky to be 3 or 4's at this point in their career. Harang especially is mediocre at this stage. Homer Bailey has legitimate DOMINATING stuff. He is experience away from Tim Lincecum territory. These are probably the same people who wanted to dump Homer Bailey for anything at all, including Jermaine Dye.

Bailey will start on opening day next year, with Johnny Cueto to follow. You watch. Remember what Pujols said "Homer Bailey is going to be a star in this game".
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    People saying Harang, Arroyo are making me laugh. Those guys are lucky to be 3 or 4's at this point in their career. Harang especially is mediocre at this stage. Homer Bailey has legitimate DOMINATING stuff. He is experience away from Tim Lincecum territory. These are probably the same people who wanted to dump Homer Bailey for anything at all, including Jermaine Dye.

Bailey will start on opening day next year, with Johnny Cueto to follow. You watch. Remember what Pujols said "Homer Bailey is going to be a star in this game".
    Your opinion about Bailey is fine and I'm starting to agree.To say he will be the starter next year is a reach at best though.I know and I would of thought that you would know to that one of the older vets will get the nod as long as Baker has anything to say about the decision.I'm not saying it's right, just that it's going to be that way.

I voted other.

Sign Rich Harden, and see if he proves it in Spring Training.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I voted other.

+1

By 2nd half performance you'd think Arroyo, but hey, he's a 2nd half pitcher. (Proven again this season). It's wide open but most likely Harang, with an outside shot to Homer. Who has the best stats against StL? We sure won't know from ST performance as the Reds are stupidly moving to Az. (Won't be any big name starter coming here, check the economics).

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I voted other.

You surprise me with this man.

In other words, pay a boatload of cash to a guy who's never put it together or stayed healthy for 1 full season? Really? Love Hardens stuff on SOME nights, but he's far from consistent in performance and health departments.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    You surprise me with this man.

In other words, pay a boatload of cash to a guy who's never put it together or stayed healthy for 1 full season? Really? Love Hardens stuff on SOME nights, but he's far from consistent in performance and health departments.
    You are right. The contract would have to be right, and he'd still have to prove it in Spring Training.

I like RedLakeFan24's idea of Webb better, of course. But, I don't see us coming up with a $100M contract for a pitcher this off-season. $40-$50M seems more reasonable for us. I think Harden can be had for that.

You are right. The contract would have to be right, and he'd still have to prove it in Spring Training.

I like RedLakeFan24's idea of Webb better, of course. But, I don't see us coming up with a $100M contract for a pitcher this off-season. $40-$50M seems more reasonable for us. I think Harden can be had for that.
    I don't think there is any chance we fork out that kind of contract to anyone.What should be expected is that we go with guys we already have for the rotation and in the pen with maybe a deal for a reliable vet for a few mil. at the most.The only way that changes is if Harang, Arroyo or Cordero are moved in a deal where another team takes on their full salary.

Do any of you really think we should pay a boatload of cash for another starter? If we did have any extra cash to spend I'd hope it would be on a shortstop who can field and hit for a decent average.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Red View Post
    Do any of you really think we should pay a boatload of cash for another starter? If we did have any extra cash to spend I'd hope it would be on a shortstop who can field and hit for a decent average.
    Yes. Get rid of Rolen and his contract, and either Arroyo or Harang's contract, and you've all of a sudden got $22M + or - $3M to spend.

Turn Off Ads?