Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question about off season trading

Question about off season trading

Do you guys feel that we may be so stacked at the AAA level next year that the Reds could trade 3 or 4 good minor leaguers for 1 decent bat to play LF or SS, someone who is like Adam Lind or a Jayson Werth type, Im not sure about SS, could a Jose Lopez play SS or a Marco Scutaro???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question about off season trading

If they do deal, I'd like it to be for a young SS. I think Lopez is a disaster at 2B already, so I doubt he'd do well at SS. Scutaro is having a good year this year, but I don't think his current production level is sustainable. If he can be had for cheap, perhaps--but I don't think the team needs any more IF on the wrong side of 30 considering they are (or should be) trying to build around the young core of Votto, Bruce, Bailey and Cueto. Of all of the names mentioned as realistic targets, I think JJ Hardy fits the best. He had an off year, but when he's performing at his career norms, he's kind of like the SS version of Brandon Phillips (plus glove, decent power, passable OBP).
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I think the Reds are so stacked that they have to trade a player because Frazier, Yonder, Juan, and Heisey/Stubbs are all going to be stuck behind 2009 and in a couple positions 2010+ options. Its just likely that one of those guys is gone soon in my opinion. Its also likely one of the guys at the ML level blocking them could be gone also and I like that idea a little bit more.

As for SS I think the Reds are going to give Cozart a strong chance to play next year. I dont know if they are going to trade for a longer term SS when Cozart seems to be closest to a every day SS we have seen in years in our system.
    Last edited by GIDP; 09-19-2009 at 10:24 AM.

getting close just like Larkin/Stillwell, a major decision has to be made, I dont want them to but theyve gotta let someone go, not to mention all the promising pitching about 1 more year away from kicking the door down. I want 1 more guy like Votto to step up and we're set with some core type offense.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    getting close just like Larkin/Stillwell, a major decision has to be made, I dont want them to but theyve gotta let someone go, not to mention all the promising pitching about 1 more year away from kicking the door down. I want 1 more guy like Votto to step up and we're set with some core type offense.
    Wait a minute... who are the promising pitchers you are talking about here? I like Bruce and Votto, but this offense has a LONG way to go before the team has a bonafide core, don't you think?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I just pulled this from Doug's board, I hope youre not mad Doug. This is just his take on the Carolina team and if 1 or 2 of these guys come through in 1 year from now isnt that what Im talking about? Not to mention Wood, Leake, Boxberger, LeCure, Jukich, Ramirez, Del Rosario, Viola, Watson, Tabor, Thompson are all guys who in a year will get a chance to make or see action in the bigs like Fisher, Roenicke, Herrera did this year. As far as core offense, I think you need 3 or 4 guys who you can count on for 100 RBIs, right now we have 2 (Votto, Phillips), 3 if Bruce can reach his potential, Gomes and Rolen IMO are solid guys who are good fits, I just think 1 more guy is needed like Votto, just my 2 cents worth. So Im basically talking 2011, I think 2010 is gonna be a lot like 2009.

Individual Pitching Prospects

Joseph Krebs was not with Carolina long, but the reliever posted a 0.40 ERA over his 22.1 innings with a 0.99 WHIP.

Logan Ondrusek spent about half of his season in Carolina dominating out of the bullpen. The big righty posted a 1.65 ERA and a 1.01 WHIP over 32.2 innings.

Derrik Lutz last pitched at the end of May but up to the injury he had a 1.99 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP over 22.2 innings.

Philippe Valiquette spent 3 months in Carolina’s bullpen and had a 2.76 ERA over 32.2 innings.

James Avery went down with an injury in June and didn’t return. However the 25 year old posted a 2.89 ERA in 56 innings pitched prior to that.

Matt Klinker posted a 2.95 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP over his 36.2 innings in Carolina with a 9% walk rate and a 27.6% strikeout rate.

Alexander Smit threw 71 innings with the Mudcats in both a starting and relieving role. The lefty had a 3.04 ERA, 13.9% walk rate and a 24.2% strikeout rate.

Lee Tabor posted a 3.13 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP over 31.2 innings in various roles from the Mudcats bullpen and rotation.

Tom Cochran gave the Mudcats 87.2 innings of 3.18 ERA baseball with a 9.1% walk rate and an 18.7% strikeout rate.

Jordan Smith posted a 3.44 ERA over 73.1 innings in a season where he last pitched in July. Smith had a 6.8% walk rate and a 12.6% strikeout rate.

Justin Mallett had a 3.68 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP along with a 5.7% walk rate and a 17.2% strikeout rate.

Ruben Medina threw 70.2 innings with a 3.95 ERA.

I hear you on Klinker and maybe a few others. Most of those guys are just middle/back end relievers at best. The door's hardly being knocked down by great pitching.

I said promising and you guys are talking like I said multiple Cy Youngs coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Do you guys feel that we may be so stacked at the AAA level next year that the Reds could trade 3 or 4 good minor leaguers for 1 decent bat to play LF or SS, someone who is like Adam Lind or a Jayson Werth type, Im not sure about SS, could a Jose Lopez play SS or a Marco Scutaro???
    agree.

Votto 1B/LF?, Alonso 1B & Francisco LF?/1B? are 3 bodies for 2 positions. If both Alonso & Francisco progress one has to go to help elsewhere. Votto should be a Red for life! There is no way I would trade him.

Stubbs or Heisey go if both progress. I want a bat better than Heisy in LF or RF so moving him here isn't a great plan. Plus hopefully we will have Bruce in RF and either Francisco or Votto (with Alosno at 1B) in LF. Since Stubbs has looked good in his debut so far Heisey is the bet to get traded.

If I ran the Reds I would look to acquire a SS this offseason via trade. the plan of Janish in 2010 and either Janish or Cozart in 2011 seems pretty weak to me. if the Reds could get a SS for some of the AA/AAA prospects who are blocked that would be a good use for these prospects.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Alonso to Tampa Bay for Reid Brignac? TB is going to need a 1B soon with Pena a FA after next year and they all ready have Bartlett manning SS for them quite well. It could work out well for both clubs although I don't know how much power Brignac would bring (it does seem like the kid can hit though). I don't know if that trade overall would work but it could be a starting point.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Prediction: we won't trade Alonso. He is too good. He is the guy that they will move others to accomodate.

Turn Off Ads?