Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exciting Race Shaping Up

Exciting Race Shaping Up

Catch The Fever

And this could be real important. The clock might just be about ready to strike midnight on Cinderella. There may be no glass slipper in the nation's capital tonight.

So can one of the wicked step sisters earn a trip to the next Strasburg ball?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Exciting Race Shaping Up

Imagine if they had Promotion/Relegation in MLB.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I am beyond excited!!! I think we have a very good chance of catching Washington!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Is it bad that I'm rooting against the Reds in hopes for a high draft pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I know I am, at this point. Normally I don't, but getting into one of the two worst records in baseball gets them into Bryce Harper or Strasburg territory. Granted, it could backfire if someone falls below the Nationals and take Strasburg No. 1, as the Nationals would get the next two picks and assuredly take Harper. But as long as the Reds are 1 or 2, they're in that range to get one or the other.

So if it is bad, you aren't alone.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Time is the Revelator.

I just realized how bad the Mets are. What in the world...

I don't know...Nats may still get Strasburg...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4401500

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't know...Nats may still get Strasburg...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4401500
    Though it may be posturing, even Kasten says they "aren't close" despite the record deal. Take away the headline and nothing in the article really gives off the same impression there's much to be too optimistic about if you're a Nationals' fan.

I still would not be surprised if he did sign, but I don't get the impression it's even a likely chance. Boras seems hell bent on getting him "Daisuke" money.

i don't know if i agree with you. the fact that the nats have offered more than $10M i think is a positive sign. that's more than any top pick has gotten ever (including prior).

obviously we don't know what the nats offered...but i think $20M would get it done. i don't know how close they are...but the nats need to get people in seats and this kid will do that for them. i guess there are a lot of wildcards here.

i don't know if i agree with you. the fact that the nats have offered more than $10M i think is a positive sign. that's more than any top pick has gotten ever (including prior).

obviously we don't know what the nats offered...but i think $20M would get it done. i don't know how close they are...but the nats need to get people in seats and this kid will do that for them. i guess there are a lot of wildcards here.
    Problem is, Boras isn't looking for record high school money. He's said repeatedly (and I think he actually believes his own hype) that Strasburg should be paid money of an international free agent.

Matsuzaka was paid $52 over 6 with an extra $10 mil in signing and performance bonuses. Boras's mindset is not to look for record high school money but rather get paid in this kind of market.

Right now, if he's holding to those terms, a guaranteed contract and double-digit signing bonus is nowhere in his ballpark.

i think he threw out $40M previously. and he ALWAYS throws out a number higher than he is expecting to get. i'm sure he would be thrilled to get $30M...but i think that's a far stretch. i think $20M is realistic...MAYBE $25M.

and if he doesn't sign this year, he's going to lose quite a bit of leverage for next year.

i think he threw out $40M previously. and he ALWAYS throws out a number higher than he is expecting to get. i'm sure he would be thrilled to get $30M...but i think that's a far stretch. i think $20M is realistic...MAYBE $25M.

and if he doesn't sign this year, he's going to lose quite a bit of leverage for next year.
    I agree with that.

I do recall throwing out the $40 mil number. I believe he said "$40 or $50 mil" when referencing the type of contract Strasburg should get (relative to someone like Daisuke). I don't think even he expects to get that much, but I think he's trying to set a trend and make an example with this one.

That's the problem I have with this, and why I'm still skeptical. I think Kasten said it best when he inferred that Boras was trying to change the industry. I'm not sure this is about getting Strasburg money. I'm afraid he's trying to set yet another benchmark for how the industry deals with draft picks. Fortunately, if he succeeds, it might be the final nail in a hard cap for signing bonuses with regard to the Rule 4 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I agree with that.

I do recall throwing out the $40 mil number. I believe he said "$40 or $50 mil" when referencing the type of contract Strasburg should get (relative to someone like Daisuke). I don't think even he expects to get that much, but I think he's trying to set a trend and make an example with this one.

That's the problem I have with this, and why I'm still skeptical. I think Kasten said it best when he inferred that Boras was trying to change the industry. I'm not sure this is about getting Strasburg money. I'm afraid he's trying to set yet another benchmark for how the industry deals with draft picks. Fortunately, if he succeeds, it might be the final nail in a hard cap for signing bonuses with regard to the Rule 4 draft.
    Well, the one positive is that I think Strasburg truly is a rare talent. Not a lot of college pitchers can dial it up to 100+ and put up the kinds of numbers Strasburg has. So, if Strasburg is able to fetch "big money" and Boras has lauded him as a "once in a generation type player," how is Boras going to justify the same "big money" for players who aren't "once in a generation?"

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I've stopped watching games because I have such a conflict of interest. At this point in the season, I really want them to go in the tank and get a better draft pick, but when I watch the games, I'm still thrilled at the minor successes, while I want them to lose. The life of a fan can be a confusing ordeal sometimes.

If Boras does not accept this offer then this kid got royally screwed . You have to be a moron not to realize how much cash this is and how this kids future is secure from day 1. Leave ego aside and do right by your client.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?